ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from a Tier 2(General) to Tier 2 (Dependent)

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

KomalAbhi
Newly Registered

Switching from a Tier 2(General) to Tier 2 (Dependent)

Post by KomalAbhi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Hello,

I am currently on a Tier 2(general) visa and so is my Fiance. We are getting married in the UK in a couple of weeks. I intend to switch from a Tier 2 (general) to Tier 2 (dependent) because his visa is valid for next 3 years whereas mine runs out in Feb, 2014. I have several questions before making the application.

1. Do I have to apply from my home country or is it possible to apply within the UK?

2. If I have to apply from India, is the UK marriage certificate valid for the dependent application? Or do I need to have the marriage certificate from India?

3. What documents do I need to submit while making the application?

4. If I have to apply from India, can I still submit the bank statements from my UK account? Or do I need an Indian Bank account?

5. Do I need to stay in India for any stipulated amount of time before I can make the application?

I am a little stressed about the whole procedure. I would really appreciate if someone could guide me in the right direction.

Many Thanks,
Komal

KomalAbhi
Newly Registered

Re: Switching from a Tier 2(General) to Tier 2 (Dependent)

Post by KomalAbhi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Please Please some help!

VickyImmy

Post by VickyImmy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 pm

2.UK marriage certificate is valid while applying for UK Visa in India. Because you are anyway applying to the British High Commission and not the Indian Govt.

3. Please use the following links to apply.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ation1.pdf
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... olicy1.pdf

4. You can use either of them whether you are applying in UK or in India. Just need to satisfy all the criteria.

5. Nope. For dependent applications cooling off period is not mandatory.

Your application is just a cake walk. Just complete the TIER 2 (dependent) application, attach the necessary documents,

Relax and enjoy your married life. :)
Last edited by VickyImmy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KomalAbhi
Newly Registered

Post by KomalAbhi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:05 pm

But I have been told that I need to return to India to apply for the Visa :(

VickyImmy

Post by VickyImmy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Sorry. Yes, I just confirmed this. You can switch only if you were a dependent earlier. As you were in TIER 2 General, You have to go to India.
The good thing is you don't have to wait for 12 months.
Last edited by VickyImmy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KomalAbhi
Newly Registered

Post by KomalAbhi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Is the UK marriage certificate going to be valid even though we live in 2 different cities and will start to live together only after Feb 2014?

VickyImmy

Post by VickyImmy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Married – a person legally married in the United Kingdom or outside the United Kingdom;

There is no time limit mentioned by UKBA to have lived together, when you apply as Married. Because you are legally married. As long as you have a Original Marriage certificate its fine.

KomalAbhi
Newly Registered

Post by KomalAbhi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:59 pm

If we are currently staying separately, and will possibly be living apart until february 2014, what sort of address proof can we show then while making the application?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:29 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.