ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU 1 - Has anyone got a response in the last 4 weeks?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Static, you have 2 options to go to the UK...either apply for a spouse visa, as you suggested, or apply for the EU family permit (which basically EU1 for the UK) which you are entitled to because you and your husband have been living in another EU country.

Neither of these options, however, require you to go back to South Africa.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:57 pm

Static, you have 2 options to go to the UK...either apply for a spouse visa, as you suggested, or apply for the EU family permit (which basically EU1 for the UK) which you are entitled to because you and your husband have been living in another EU country.
In theory, that's dead on the money. The thing I'm curious about though is how one would prove legal residence in Ireland. If a non-EEA spouse is applying for a family permit from within the EU, they have to show proof of being legally resident in that member state. So, for example, upon entering Ireland the spouse gets a one month stamp in the passport and within the month applies for EU1 and then spends the six months waiting and decides to leave, how would that person prove legal residence, when based on passport stamps it would look like that person overstayed by 5 months. I would assume a letter from the Irish government? But, they REALLY don't strike me as the most co-operative, on-the-ball group of people.

Static

Post by Static » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:03 pm

You asked if a national of South Africa needs a visa to come to the UK as a wife.

Yes, you need a visa.

Please read Guidance - Husbands, Wives and Partners for more information.

If you are a national of, or are normally and legally living in Ireland, please make your application to Dublin.

If you are applying to our visa section in Dublin, you can now make your application and pay online though the visa4UK website.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

The emphasis being on LEGALLY residing in Ireland. We have contacted an immigration solicitor in the UK about this and he has confirmed that I would have to travel back to SA to obtain this Visa. The cost of this in Euros is €775 as per this site: http://www.britishembassy.ie/

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:17 pm

British embassy? wrote:You asked if a national of South Africa needs a visa to come to the UK as a wife.

Yes, you need a visa.

Please read Guidance - Husbands, Wives and Partners for more information.

If you are a national of, or are normally and legally living in Ireland, please make your application to Dublin.

If you are applying to our visa section in Dublin, you can now make your application and pay online though the visa4UK website.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
The information they have provided is only about a UK-law "spouse visa". It costs a lot of money to apply for, you have to provide a lot of information and documentation, and I am unclear how long the visa will be valid for if they agree to issue it. If you were living together in Canada or Japan and had not been living in another European country together, then this would be your only option.

But, because you have been living in a European country with your husband exercising his treaty rights, you have another (and in almost every way far more attractive) option -- EU law!

You can apply to the UK government for a "EEA family permit". You do not need to pay any fee for it and can do it from Ireland. You have to prove that you are married. You can then remain in the UK for as long as you want (and work immediately). The UK government is virtually required to issue it, except on very strict grounds of national security, (big) public policy and (big) public health.
The emphasis being on LEGALLY residing in Ireland. We have contacted an immigration solicitor in the UK about this and he has confirmed that I would have to travel back to SA to obtain this Visa. The cost of this in Euros is €775 as per this site: http://www.britishembassy.ie/
If you talked with a immigration solicitor in the UK, I hope they mentioned the "EEA family permit". If the solicitor did not mention that option, it would raise concerns in my mind about their competence or possible self interest.

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:14 am

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/

All the applications for Family Fermit in Dublin are done on-line now.
My wife was issued with the Family Permit in no time.
I`ve sent documents on thursday by registered post and got them back next wednesday.All in all 3 working days.
Mind you, she has one year Irish residence.

Static

Post by Static » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:00 am

microlab wrote:http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/

Mind you, she has one year Irish residence.
that is my point... you need to apply from where you LEGALLY reside.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:00 am

Static wrote:that is my point... you need to apply from where you LEGALLY reside.
In the case of a non-EU spouse who is living in Dublin, that would be Dublin. Or are we talking about somebody who is illegally in Ireland?

I should point out that EU law does not have any requirement that you apply where you are living.

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 am

How do my family members apply for a family permit?
They can apply for the EEA Family Permit at any British mission overseas that offers a full service visa-issuing office. If they are applying from within the EEA, they will need to show that they are living legally in an EEA member state.

They can apply in a number of ways, for example by post, by courier, in person and online. The visa section will tell them about the ways in which they can apply.

Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online plesse visit www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721068382

Static

Post by Static » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 am

microlab wrote:
They can apply for the EEA Family Permit at any British mission overseas that offers a full service visa-issuing office. If they are applying from within the EEA, they will need to show that they are living legally in an EEA member state.

They can apply in a number of ways, for example by post, by courier, in person and online. The visa section will tell them about the ways in which they can apply.

Some visa sections will only accept applications made online. To find out if you can apply for your visa online plesse visit www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721068382

I am not here illegally but also not legally as yet as my EU 1 application is pending. Therefore I am in limbo and cannot apply from here. Would have to go to SA to do that. Thanks for the link Microlab.. it's what I have been looking for to show Directive.

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:18 am

I've thought about this as well. How to prove that I'm legally resident in Ireland if the GNIB won't give me residency stamps for the duration of the EU1 processing time?

The immigration officers at Dublin airport have only given me 1 month stamps and told me to report to the GNIB, who, of course, tell me they can't do anything. (They probably don't have a stamp corresponding to my situation.) So, if we wanted to say "To hell with this crap" and move to the UK (my husband's country of citizenship), how to prove that I've legally been residing in Ireland?

Static

Post by Static » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 am

Platinum wrote:I've thought about this as well. How to prove that I'm legally resident in Ireland if the GNIB won't give me residency stamps for the duration of the EU1 processing time?

The immigration officers at Dublin airport have only given me 1 month stamps and told me to report to the GNIB, who, of course, tell me they can't do anything. (They probably don't have a stamp corresponding to my situation.) So, if we wanted to say "To hell with this crap" and move to the UK (my husband's country of citizenship), how to prove that I've legally been residing in Ireland?
Platinum.. this is exactly my problem. Like I said I've been in contact with an immigration solicitor in the UK and the advice I got was to apply from where I legally could reside.. that being my country of birth :(

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:30 am

I do not know the specifics of your situation, but if you are not illegally in Ireland, then I would suggest you are presently living legally in Ireland. There are all sorts of different ways to be living legally in Ireland, some of which are short term (e.g. on a student visa, or a spouse visa) and some of which are long term (e.g. with a permanent Residence Card). Applying for a Residence Card does not change that for the worse.
They do not specify you must be a long term resident of a member state, and they can not require that. They require only that you be living there legally.

It costs nothing to apply, and as another poster mentioned it is fast. If they have a problem, they will ask for more information.

Sahil

Post by Sahil » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am

dsab85 wrote:Hello Sahil,

the Judgement in the pending High Court Case is scheduled for this friday. If they agree with the Justice Departments Interpretation, then we will have to start worrying. But until then we cannot really do anything.

My wife got the same letter about 3 weeks back. The one thing I would def. recommend to do is to send in an appeal asap (via registered Mail) outlining why you think the decission is not justified. I appealed on the basis of 4 different flaws in their logic.

At least that way they can not claim at a later stage that you stayed maybe illegally in Ireland.

Lets all hope the best for friday.

Cheers,
dsab
Thanks very much dsab85.....

Now i have a question in my mind if anybody could help me ? My wife who is EU citizen living with me in ireland....... we are now thinkin to move to UK as Irish Govt. is playing with all of us, Could any one tell me how i can go with her? which visa i need to aplly? Is it the requeirment of UK Govt. that my wife should be living in UK before i could apply if not then what type of visa i should aplly and where i can get that visa application? i am not illegal in ireland at the moment as i have the spouse visa till July'07 which i got from my home country and it is now 9 months since i applied EU1 form. i know it is very very hard for us to move as we have bought house here but there is no choice if Irish Govt. won;t give me residancy then i have to move somewhere.

i'm thinking if we can protest against Irish DOJ (atleast those who are living in Dublin) by doing this at least Media will be involved and then the rest of the world could see how Irish Govt are playing with peoples.

Any help and comments would be appriciated!

Thanks

Sahil

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:26 pm

If the application is being made from another EEA member state:

Following the case of Akrich, which established that a right of movement for a family member is only derived if they are lawfully resident in an EEA member state, the requirement for an applicant to demonstrate lawful residence has been introduced into the EEA Regulations. Anyone who has a valid visa or entry clearance, and who is abiding by the conditions of that entry clearance, can be considered to be lawfully resident in that Member State. This would normally be in the form of the local equivalent of leave to enter / remain as a family member of a national of the member state in which they are residing. Or, alternatively, an EEA residence card would normally be held if they are the family members of an EEA national residing in a member state of which they are not a national.
The non-EEA national could equally have entered the country in some other category (visitor, student etc) and would still be considered as lawfully resident in that Member State. For example, an Indian national married to a French national, who had obtained a visa to enter France as either the spouse of the French national or in some other category (as a visitor, student or work permit holder etc), would be considered 'lawfully resident' in France, if, at the time of application, they were abiding fully by the conditions of that visa.
Those with valid Schengen visas would be considered lawfully resident in all Schengen states. If there are cases where you are not sure if an applicant can be considered as lawfully resident, please refer the details to ECO (Entry Clearance Officer) support at UKvisas.
Please note that this requirement to demonstrate lawful residence in an EEA Member State applies only to those applying from an EEA Member State. There is no requirement to demonstrate lawful residence in an EEA Member State if the applicant is applying from outside the EEA. However, a family member would be required to meet the requirements int he Immigration Rules for Leave to Enter the UK (other than those relating to entry clearance).
Yes, Directive/2004/38/EC you are spot on there.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:16 pm

The Irish government is so incompetent that they cant even provide safe drinking water for all its residents (Galway and Ennis), despite being one of the wealthiest countries in the world. So you might imagine that the plight of immigrants is very low down the list indeed- unless of course you're amongst the 50 000 illegal Irish in the US then that warrants political representations being directly made to president Bush!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 pm

British embassy procedures wrote:The non-EEA national could equally have entered the country in some other category (visitor, student etc) and would still be considered as lawfully resident in that Member State.
Thanks for looking this up!

If the Irish persist in insisting that the non EU family member must have had residence in another country, then moving briefly to another EU country is a (relatively) easy and obvious solution. Ryanair flights are cheap when you book ahead!

I am sure the question will come up again and again as people realize they can briefly be resident in the UK (including Northern Ireland) or elsewhere in the EU (for holiday to France?), and then have the Irish-required “prior EU residenceâ€

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:01 am

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigjon
Newly Registered

uk spousal visa

Post by bigjon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 am

I'll second that with what I have found as well. It seems that for long term, big picture results, the spousal visa for the UK, might be the most solid option for those of us that have it. Only 3 years for ILR...
We got an email from solvit today after the supposed court case saying that no verdict had been reached. They said though that doj would start processing applications again according to thier previous understanding, which means what I dont know. I hope that is true about being able to use our rejection letter as proof of residence, I will probably be getting one soon.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 am

Plaasjapie wrote:The problem is that the UK only applies the EU rules to citizens of OTHER EU countries. Trust me, I checked. You HAVE to go the spouse visa route.
This is true only if the UK citizen has been residing outside the EU. If they have been resident inside the EU, then the applicant can choose to use UK-law or EU-law for entry into the UK.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 am

or EU-law for entry into the UK.
Like me for instance :wink:

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:06 am

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:45 am

The ECJ case of Surinder Singh states that nationals of a Member State who go with their non-EEA family members to another Member State to exercise a Treaty right in an economic capacity, (as a worker or self-employed person) will on return to their home state, be entitled to bring their non-EEA family members to join them under EC law. (For example a British national and his non-EEA national spouse/children who have lived in Germany and exercised an economic treaty right and are now returning to the UK).

The Surinder Singh judgement is now incorporated into the EEA Regulations in Regulation 9.

It is confined to those cases where a British national has exercised an economic Treaty right and the Non-EEA national family member can demonstrate their lawful residence in a member state. (see section 21.4.1 on applications made from another Member State for more information on lawful residence requirements).

It does not matter if the only reason the British national went to another Member State to exercise an economic Treaty Right was so that he could come back to the UK with his/her family members under EC law.

In the case of a British citizen returning to the UK, they must be intending to return to the UK to exercise similar rights in the UK. Where no evidence is available of intended employment by the British citizen, you need only be satisfied that British citizen has sufficient resources for himself/herself and his/her family members to avoid becoming a burden on public funds.

The non-EEA spouse will be eligible for entry into the UK under the Surinder Singh ruling provided that the marriage is valid and that the couple are not formally divorced. This applies even in cases where the non-EEA national spouse has not lived with the British citizen for the whole period during which Treaty rights were exercised. You may, however, find along with other evidence that this leads you to believe it to be a marriage of convenience.
Evidence that the couple have lived together may include:
a registration certificate/residence card issued by the Member State;
tenancy agreements; or,
joint bank statements.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:49 am

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Static

Post by Static » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Plaasjapie wrote:
microlab wrote:
Evidence that the couple have lived together may include:
a registration certificate/residence card issued by the Member State;
tenancy agreements; or,
joint bank statements.
Cool Beans. Static, you are sorted! :D
:D But this means.. that I should be sorted here even... We were in England for 2 months before coming here and I sent in post and bills with our EU1 thing as part proof of us living together... Hmm... Hold thumbs for me!!! I'm feeling a lot more positive now.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.