ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rights of WP holders

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

debtblue
Newly Registered

Rights of WP holders

Post by debtblue » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 am

Hello there

Can anyone please tell me what are the rights of a work permit holder??

I came on WP and my salary was supposed to be £30k but i am only being paid £20k. How does legally this company stands?? and what can i do about it???

I dont want to lose this job either, so i accepted £20k.
Please advise.

thanks

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Rights of WP holders

Post by Christophe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:58 am

I don't think that the your rights as a work permit holder would differ from the rights of any employee in this regard.

In industries where no 'award' applies, your salary depends essentially on what you and the employer agree to. An agreement can be oral or written. So, for example, if a prospective employer, orally or in writing, offers you a job at salary X, then that is effectively a legally binding offer which you can accept or not. The fact that, for example, a different salary might have been mentioned in an advertisement for the job is not really relevant; if you accept the job offer at salary X, then there is no legal issue there.

On the other hand, if the employer offered you a job at salary X and you accept that offer but then you are paid salary Y instead, that would not be legal.

So you probably need to be a bit more specific about who exactly said what and when... And does your written contract of employment accord with what you were offered?

debtblue
Newly Registered

Post by debtblue » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:30 am

So you probably need to be a bit more specific about who exactly said what and when... And does your written contract of employment accord with what you were offered?[/quote]

My Work Permit states £30k, my contract £20k, which is legal here??? I m really confused, so according to you salary mentioned on a wrok permit for my profile is irrelevant!!

please reply

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am

Someone else with more expertise in the law than I have will have to reply, but have no fear - I'm sure that such a person will be along soon...

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Your work permit shows the ammount that the company told the Home Office that your salary was going to be. The work permit is an agreement between the Home Office and the company to allow a foreign national to work for them...it is an immigration agreement not an employment agreement.
Your contract with the company should reflect the same information that the company told the Home Office; if your salary is below what the company presented to the Home Office then your conditions of employment changed and most likely the WP is not valid.

In other words, the company may be in breach of the WP approved by the Home Office; in this case the only affected party is you! Please consider that when you try to apply for ILR Home Office may tell you that your salary was not what they approved on the WP and you should not have been working for that salary. I would recommend you get professional help to confirm if the salary difference is not a change on the employment and you don't have to report it to Home Office; better yet, find a new employer. I don't think you can use the WP to imply that your employer should pay you more, your contract is for 20K not for 30K; whatever the employer told the HO is not an agreement with you neither a contract.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Because your employment contract states that your salary is £20k per year and you (presumably) have read it and signed it there is nothing much you can do now to change the situation. You read the employment contract and you agreed to it in the full knowledge of what the salary stated on it would be. Forgetting the work permit aspect for a moment, from a purely employment law perspective there would appear to be nothing legally wrong here. You signed an employment contract and the terms of that employment contract have not been broken.

The work permit is not a contract of employment, but it is a legal immigration document that states the terms and conditions of employing a foreign worker. In order not to be in breach of the work permit conditions your employer should have made your salary at least as much as what was stated on the work permit. By not doing this your employer is in breach of immigration law, but not in breach of employment law as they are paying you exactly what is stated in your employment contract.

Unfortunately you really are stuck between a rock and a hard place here. The only authority you can really complain to about this is the Home Office. But if you do this you risk having the company investigated and possibly losing your work permit and job and having to go back home.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

hereagain
Newly Registered

Post by hereagain » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:04 am

Yeah I've heard there's a compliance team that can make visits and take work permits off people and curtail leave if there are breaches. Would the permit have been approved if the company declared the actual salary of 20K rather that 30k? Who knows....

touchsensor

Salary

Post by touchsensor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:31 am

If this might help-A friend of mine's work permit was approved and the salary the company showed to HO was £22K. Now her salary is £35K and the work permit was done in Jan 06.

Good Luck!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: Salary

Post by Dawie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:10 am

touchsensor wrote:If this might help-A friend of mine's work permit was approved and the salary the company showed to HO was £22K. Now her salary is £35K and the work permit was done in Jan 06.

Good Luck!
The Home Office is only concerned if your actual salary is lower than that stated on the work permit because then there are concerns about undercutting the wages of local workers.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:16 am

debtblue wrote:I dont want to lose this job either, so i accepted £20k.
You accepted it and now you want to take an action against the employer...it's a waste of time.. you knowingly signed the document

Either live with it or find another employer who will pay you more and sponser you a new WP.