ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to UK after receving visa - Tier 2 General

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jigiboy

Travelling to UK after receving visa - Tier 2 General

Post by jigiboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:41 pm

I am trying to find the answer for this question but I have not been able to find a proper answer

If I receive the visa say on 1-July-2013. Can i travel using the same visa after 3 months? Will I or my sponsor be questioned by the UK immigration or UKBA as to why am I traveling after 3 months of receiving the visa?

1. Can I travel after 3 months of receiving the visa?
2. Does my sponsor need to inform the UKBA about the same?
3. Will my visa remain valid?. I guess YES
4. Do I need to get a new COS and keep the same visa or apply for a new one? Which in turn means I have to pay again?

VickyImmy

Post by VickyImmy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:39 pm

1. You can travel anytime before your VISA expires

2. This depends on your circumstances. If your sponsor is aware of your situation/ if they have not confirmed your start date yet/ if you are continuing to work for your sponsor overseas, this if fine.

However, if you already have a work date and if its your personal circumstances that is preventing you from coming to UK then your sponsor should inform this to UKBA. They should report if you don't turn up on your first day of work or you were absent for 10 days continuously without your sponsor's knowledge.

3. It is valid until its expiry date. However, entering too late like towards the end of your validity will be difficult.

4. You cant apply CoS and keep same visa. New CoS is needed only if you are changing your job, then you will apply all over again.

jigiboy

Post by jigiboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

So how do I take care of point 2?
I will not be traveling to UK immediately after getting the visa.
I will travel after 3 months.
So what care should the company sponsoring the COS and myself should take care of? So that I don't face any issues later from he UKBA (while applying the visa) and also from the UK Immigration authority?

chetanmahendroo
Newly Registered

Post by chetanmahendroo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

Please check your CoS, usually a restricted CoS has this defined on it that this CoS is valid for 3 months. I.e. if the employee could not start its job with in or till 3 months then this CoS would be void. In that case, employer would need to inform UKBA to cancel that CoS.

If you are traveling before this scene then you should be fine.

But be aware UKBA can and will question you about your job status when you try to enter and they may contact your employer then to have a clear picture.

jigiboy

Post by jigiboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm

This is a tricky one.
My current employment requires me to serve a 3 months notice.
Can you help me out?
What do I need to tell my employer or how do i plan for the COS?
We are not guaranteed a visa even if we have a valid COS and job offer
:)

VickyImmy

Post by VickyImmy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:38 pm

All CoS (res/unres) are valid only for three months. However, this is the time period for you to apply for your VISA. Once your VISA is granted only the visa expiry date matters.

If your visa application is successful, the date you give on your CoS is the start date of your work. Now UKBA expects you to work for your UK employer from this date. So if you have 3 months notice you cannot apply for a CoS during your notice period. You will have to decide for a start date after your notice period.

As for the 2nd point is concerned, travelling 3 months after your VISA is granted, eventually means you haven't worked for your UK employer for this 3 months. In this case you need a consent letter and a valid reason from UK employer that they are aware that you are joining them after 3 months. For instance, you may have worked for this UK employer on a overseas assignment (in your home country).

Otherwise, you will be questioned at UK Border on the genuineness of your visa application.

jigiboy

Post by jigiboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:38 pm

I get the point you are trying to make.
But I cant risk leaving my current job unless I have the visa as i am not guaranteed that I will get a visa even after having a valid COS.
And in case I get the visa I have to serve a 3 months notice.
In a fix now.
I don't think anyone in UK will wait for so long.

Is it possible that I get the COS and apply for visa.
Once I get the visa I can cancel the COS and the apply for a new COS and travel using the same visa.
Or do I have to go through the entire process again.

chetanmahendroo
Newly Registered

Post by chetanmahendroo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:58 pm

" Is it possible that I get the COS and apply for visa.
Once I get the visa I can cancel the COS and the apply for a new COS and travel using the same visa.
Or do I have to go through the entire process again "

Yes, you will have to go through the process again. UKBA may ask your sponsor to do the RMLT again, then CoS and then Visa. RMLT may be skipped but CoS and Visa process will be repeated.

If i were at your place, i would somehow negotiate with my current employer and shrink my notice period window, so that i could travel with in the stipulated time.

Otherwise, check with your proposed sponsor. If possible, start your notice period, once two months are done, get the CoS and apply for Visa. This will take at least one or one and a half month. And by the time you get your visa, your notice period is served and you should be ready to travel.

This second option is under assumption that you has to resign from your current job anyway.

baburao.rame

Re: Travelling to UK after receving visa - Tier 2 General

Post by baburao.rame » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:22 am

This problem of 3 month notice is true for many people working in IT companies in India. The logic of resigning only after getting a visa is also a safe and good decision for sure.

The UKB can issue visa with a Adv date of max 3 months ...i.e Say u apply on Jan 1st then the Visa start date can be max April 1st.
If the sponsor company can have the start date of April 15th or so on COS (Of course... After discussing with your sponsor , you can get this date ). Then things can work fine.

Your COS work start date is critical . You can travel to UK 15 days before the start date on COS .

COS by itself has a start and end date, which only defines when you can apply for the Visa ( 3 months from start date is what you need to apply for visa). Don't confuse this with work start date.

Suggestion: Always discuss this 3 month notice period well in adv to your sponsor company. Also make sure that you tell the sponsor company that you will resign only after getting your Visa. Then its up to the sponsor company to get the right date on the COS ( you can help them arrive at that date too).