ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criminal Record Availability

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca2lejero
Newly Registered

Criminal Record Availability

Post by ca2lejero » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:41 am

Hey People! Have a question. I´m an Euadorian and planning to move to Europe ... somehow. The thing is that I have a conviction in US, although under slightly different name, and also was deported from US, after living there for 30 years.
You think that would be visible in my future possible immiration processes in Europe? I mean, my name is spelled differently, but, you know, the fingerprints are the same, and applying for residency, I´ll be fingerprinted.
I know, I´ve got to tell the truth, bla, bla, bla... But, really, what you think, would someone find out?
Thank you in advance.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Criminal Record Availability

Post by sakura » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 pm

ca2lejero wrote:Hey People! Have a question. I´m an Euadorian and planning to move to Europe ... somehow. The thing is that I have a conviction in US, although under slightly different name, and also was deported from US, after living there for 30 years.
You think that would be visible in my future possible immiration processes in Europe? I mean, my name is spelled differently, but, you know, the fingerprints are the same, and applying for residency, I´ll be fingerprinted.
I know, I´ve got to tell the truth, bla, bla, bla... But, really, what you think, would someone find out?
Thank you in advance.
I dunno...some countries might require you to provide details of overseas convictions, or a background check. You mentioned you might go to Australia? They are tough cookies to break. Their system is seen as one of the best in the world. Canada's and NZ's too. In terms of 'Europe'...'Europe' is big...what countries do you mean?

What skills do you have? If you don't have tertiary or higher education (think at least a bachelor's degree....not 'associate degree') you're unlikely to find a job-based migration route.

I would query your plan to move to Europe..."somehow". What does that mean? It's a real shame you were deported from the US after 30years!! That isn't nice...to put it mildly. Do you have family there? My advice: if you have the right skills, then look for a country you meet the requirement.

ca2lejero
Newly Registered

US Criminal record visibility

Post by ca2lejero » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Thank you for responding.
Well, yes, it´s a shame being deported after 30 years, but mostly shame to me, as I never became a citizen.
Anyway, somehow means that I´ll be looking for possibilities, from marriage to work or skilled immigration. I have a bachelor degree in computer business management, a lot of work experience in my own business, so by any point system, I´d probably pass.
Again about that criminal record. The fingerprinting is what bothers me a little... Because I´m not going to start my new life there with admitting my sins, no matter how bad it may look to you... I don´t volunteer negative info about myself. I´m not a habitual offender, and I´m not going to kill an oportunity for a stupid little thing I did. Neither I am going to mention US residence. My education is not from US, and work experience... I´m good at what I do, and there people around the world who can give me references.
My general question is: by your opinion, are the fingerprint databases linked?
Thank you.

gani999

Post by gani999 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:16 am

As far as I know no European country takes fingerprints before awarding residence permits or visas. So, as long as you don't get arrested in Europe (in which case you will be fingerprinted) you don't have to worry.

About your conviction and deportation from the US, do you have any special stamp in your passport that says you were deported? If you do, the Europeans will ask you about it and it may cause some problems (maybe some expert can clarify better).

The only other thing that may spoil your party is if you happen to be on any watch list or have an Interpol alert against you. Such information is shared and will get you in serious trouble, no matter where you may be.

ca2lejero
Newly Registered

US Criminal Record

Post by ca2lejero » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:23 pm

I was deported with provisional passport, which was taken away from me upon entry in Ecuador.
Interpol? I doubt it, but I can check it myself, can´t I?
My general idea about fingerprinting, even if arrested, is that, for exmaple, US authorities would see any arrests or convictions in Europe or ... Australia (US is only linked with Canada by NCIC). I think that if for example I get fingerprinted in Spain, they would see my EU sins only... I´m an optimist, you know...
In US they fingerprint all applicants for any immigrant status.