ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

Post by Manoj79 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 pm

I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Baby born in UK ':D', Aug 2011 to Indian parents holding Tier-1 visa.

Child got Indian passport on September 2011 issued by Indian HC London. Didn't apply for tier-1 dependent visa.

Child travelled along with parents to India on March 2012. (Holidays)

Child remains in India with her grandparents holding Indian passport (until now May 2013). {Child care reason}

Parents got ILR/resident permit on Nov 2012 (2 years HSMP+ 3 years Tier-1).

Parents successfully registered the child as British citizen in UK (using MN1 Form) under Section 1(3) rules. We did mention that child is currently in India.

Received the registration certificate within 30 days from the date of application - April 2013.

Parents sent all the relevant documents to Grandparents for British passport application.

British passport application for child was made to British passport services in Delhi on 1 May 2013 by child's grandparents.

British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email. 10 May 2013.

No calls were made at this point to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents.

Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi.

British authority in India is now processing my kids British passport application. Yet to receive the passport as on 22 May 2013.
I will update further details as it happens...

Apologies if i take more than your anticipated time to answer your queries.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]
Last edited by Manoj79 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Help on hand
Newly Registered

Post by Help on hand » Tue May 21, 2013 1:09 pm

it is too early to receive passport for your child, as process will take longer in high commissions around the world comparing to process here in UK. Be patient

ban.s

Re: Apply British passport from India for UK born child.

Post by ban.s » Tue May 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Manoj79 wrote: British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email.
This is interesting! Why would they require that? Was any reason given?

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:09 am

ban.s wrote:
Manoj79 wrote: British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email.
This is interesting! Why would they require that? Was any reason given?
Reason given by the passport examiner: "India doesn't allow dual citizenship" . They said it was mandatory to surrender my kids Indian passport before they could issue British passport.

I tried to explain that it works the other way round in UK i.e. British passport is issued first and then Indian passport is surrendered at the earliest. He simply said it doesn't work that way in India.:D

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed May 22, 2013 11:21 am

I thought so, but why should British Passport agency act as a gate keeper to enforce india's citizenship law?
In the past HO used to impound passports during naturalisation process but that policy has been withdrawn for quite sometime.

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am

Help on hand wrote:it is too early to receive passport for your child, as process will take longer in high commissions around the world comparing to process here in UK. Be patient
I agree with you. It would take at least 4-5 months to process the application if kid was born in India (Assuming the application is straight forward and has no issues).
However,my kid was born in UK (and has birth certificate & British registration certificate issued in UK). I assume the verification process should be easy and straight forward for passport services, Delhi. So, I am anticipating the passport in another 2-3 weeks time. Lets wait and see what happens...:roll:

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am

ban.s wrote:I thought so, but why should British Passport agency act as a gate keeper to enforce india's citizenship law?
In the past HO used to impound passports during naturalisation process but that policy has been withdrawn for quite sometime.
I totally agree with you . I believe that there is no point in explaining/arguing with any authority in India as it would delay the whole process. Especially when parents are abroad and there is no means of proper two way communication between the applicant and the authority.

The premium phone service is some what helpful. However very expensive when you try put your point across.They don't reply to emails.

I did attempt to make a complaint to FCO in UK about this issue. They simply took my details and said they would give me a call back. I am still waiting....

uarena10
Newly Registered

Post by uarena10 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Manoj79 wrote:I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Child got Indian passport on September 2011 issued by Indian HC London. Didn't apply for tier-1 dependent visa.

Child remains in India with her grandparents holding Indian passport (until now May 2013). {Child care reason}

Parents successfully registered the child as British citizen in UK (using MN1 Form) under Section 1(3) rules. We did mention that child is currently in India.

Received the registration certificate within 30 days from the date of application - April 2013.

Parents sent all the relevant documents to Grandparents for British passport application.

British passport application for child was made to British passport services in Delhi on 1 May 2013 by child's grandparents.

British authorities in India acknowledged the receipt of passport application by email and requested to surrender the Indian passport at regional passport office ASAP before proceeding with the application any further by phone & email. 10 May 2013.

No calls were made at this point to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents.

Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi.

British authority in India is now processing my kids British passport application. Yet to receive the passport as on 22 May 2013.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]
Hi Manoj

Fairly similar situation.

Could you kindly share the documents that you submitted along with the application form.
The application guidance asks for antenatal record, vaccination record, ,parents passport (or copies to be signed by UK solicitor). Did you furnish all this.

Could you kindly also share a stepwise process also please. It would be of immense benefit.

Thanks in advance

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:03 pm

uarena10 wrote:
Manoj79 wrote:I have tried to guide through the steps that i followed in order to apply for British passport from India for my UK born child .

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]
Hi Manoj

Fairly similar situation.

Could you kindly share the documents that you submitted along with the application form.
The application guidance asks for antenatal record, vaccination record, ,parents passport (or copies to be signed by UK solicitor). Did you furnish all this.

Could you kindly also share a stepwise process also please. It would be of immense benefit.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
1) I have submitted the following original documents (2 photocopies of original documents must be submitted): Filled in Application form, 2 Passport photo of child, Backside of 1 Passport size photo must be signed by counter signatory, Credit card payment form, Child's Birth certificate, Child's British registration certificate, Hospital Discharge certificate, Child red book (UK) or vaccination card, Parents birth certificates, Parents marriage certificate, Address proof documents-Council tax,Driving licence,NI Card, Utility bills (UK), Family photograph including child (5-6 Photo's), Parents passport color photocopies (all pages attested by UK solicitor), Indian passport surrender certificate and any other relevant documents depending on your scenario.

2) Since we the parents of child were in UK while making the child's British passport application from India we had to send passport's color photocopies attested by UK solicitor (all pages). Unfortunately we had Jumbo Indian passport which contains 60 pages. I had to take color print out of all pages and convince the solicitor to attest all the pages (Mostly the blank pages). Luckily a solicitor in UK charged only £40 for attesting approx 70 pages. However, some may charge £5 for each page!
Its better to submit antenatal documents/discharge document, Red book/vaccination card as requested in guidance.

3)I have explained the steps that i followed in my original post.Your situation might be different.

One lesson that i have learned :
In my case Initially I did sent my child's Indian passport along with the British passport application. The Indian passport was returned by British passport services, Delhi within a week.I was requested to surrender my child's Indian passport to nearest Indian passport authority (in my case in Chennai) and get the Indian passport surrender certificate. They had kept my child British passport application on hold until they received the Indian passport surrender certificate from us. So if the child already has Indian passport issued either in India or UK then i would recommend to surrender it to nearest Indian passport authority and get the surrender certificate first. Later you could apply for your child's British passport.
(However in UK, you might not need to surrender the Indian passport first before British passport is issued)

Hope above information answer your query.
Thanks
Manoj

buchade_p
Newly Registered

Child born in UK & Apply British Citizenship from INDIA

Post by buchade_p » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Manoj & Administrators,
I am fairely in the same situation, My ILR due in Oct 2013 and got twins in UK! I am planning to send them back in INDIA as child care is quite difficult\expensive here.
I called solicitor to discuss if I can apply for kids British passport from INDIA and they said that Child has to be physically present in UK to register for British Citizenship.

Your cpost gave me ray of hope :)
Just want to know how easy was to register child for British Citizenship using MN1? what sort of documents need to be submitted? How log it takes?

If you dont mind can I PM you?

Cheers,
Pankaj

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Re: Child born in UK & Apply British Citizenship from IN

Post by Manoj79 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

buchade_p wrote:Hi Manoj & Administrators,
I am fairely in the same situation, My ILR due in Oct 2013 and got twins in UK! I am planning to send them back in INDIA as child care is quite difficult\expensive here.
I called solicitor to discuss if I can apply for kids British passport from INDIA and they said that Child has to be physically present in UK to register for British Citizenship.

Your cpost gave me ray of hope :)
Just want to know how easy was to register child for British Citizenship using MN1? what sort of documents need to be submitted? How log it takes?

If you dont mind can I PM you?

Cheers,
Pankaj
Hi Pankaj,
I would say it isn't totally impossible to process the MN1 form and British passport from India for your Kids. However it's a very time consuming and tedious process from India. Money wise almost same fees as in UK.

If you are not in hurry to bring in your kids back to UK after your ILR then you can opt to process it from India.(mn1 form +surrender indian passport+ British passport+Exit visa =4-6 months )

Sometimes Indian regional passport office would request one of the parents to be present in India while surrendering kids Indian passport.

In India you would be requested to surrender the kids Indian passport before making kids British passport application in Delhi.

I processed MN1 form for my kid in UK through NCS and it took approximately a month. List of documents for MN1 form is already been covered in this forum. If you search on this forum you will find loads of information.

I would prefer you to ask question in this forum rather than PM because that would benefit everyone who in similar situation and also importantly some one might give you a better suggestion for your query.
Thank you
Manoj

buchade_p
Newly Registered

Post by buchade_p » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks Manoj! I really appreciate your inputs.
This is really helpful information; I am not concerned about the time as its just matter of 3-6 months.

Will post my experience, queries here once I start.

Cheers,
Pankaj

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Dear Manoj

I really need your help regarding MN1 processing in UK using NCS. My child is UK born living in India for care reasons. I read the forums and guidance documents and I am very clear about all the documents except his original passport. Could you please confirm do I need his passport or copies are enough for NCS? I am worried because India does not allow passports by post. Both me and wife has ILR Granted a year ago.

your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 am

rivercam wrote:Dear Manoj

I really need your help regarding MN1 processing in UK using NCS. My child is UK born living in India for care reasons. I read the forums and guidance documents and I am very clear about all the documents except his original passport. Could you please confirm do I need his passport or copies are enough for NCS? I am worried because India does not allow passports by post. Both me and wife has ILR Granted a year ago.

your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi,
I produced notarised copies of my kid's passport issued by a notary in India. NCS did ask me why i am unable to produce the kid's original indian passport. I replied that 'my kid is on holidays with her grandparents and would be returning to UK shortly'. Thanks, Manoj

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 am

Manoj
Many Thanks for your reply.
Do I need to fill in section 2 Residence requirements or Leave it as a Blank?
My son spent 2 years after his birth in UK and then living in India from last 1.5 Years.
Also Does NCS asks why child is not present in UK and section 2 details?

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 am

rivercam wrote:Manoj
Many Thanks for your reply.
Do I need to fill in section 2 Residence requirements or Leave it as a Blank?
My son spent 2 years after his birth in UK and then living in India from last 1.5 Years.
Also Does NCS asks why child is not present in UK and section 2 details?
Hi,
Yes, I did complete the section-2 of MN1 form. The NCS staff member forwarding your application could ask you why child is away from parents for so long? Give some valid reason.(this reason could be documented on the MN1 application by NCS staff).
Thanks,
Manoj

ukba2536

Post by ukba2536 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hi Manoj

Thanks for your precious information and have given me a big hope

I'm also in your situation at the moment,,my UK born Baby in India with Grand parents...my ILR due next month (PEO) same day appointment.

Now I'm just wondering what will be the baby status in india after she get UK citizenship and British Passport and want to stay in india for bit longer time as im also planning to back to india for some time after my ILR.

Does she need need to apply for indian visa(while being in india) or PIO or OCI. please let me know if you have any information regarding this.

Thanks

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 pm

ukba2536 wrote:

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hi Manoj

I'm also in your situation at the moment,,my UK born Baby in India with Grand parents...my ILR due next month (PEO) same day appointment.

Now I'm just wondering what will be the baby status in india after she get UK citizenship and British Passport and want to stay in india for bit longer time as im also planning to back to india for some time after my ILR.

Does she need need to apply for indian visa(while being in india) or PIO or OCI. please let me know if you have any information regarding this.

Thanks
Hi,
I would suggest you to contact your local FRRO office in India. Website http://www.boi.gov.in/ They should be able to guide through the process. Your kid could apply for PIO from India (I am not sure 100% ). Usually a British citizen must register there details in FRRO if they decide to stay in India for more than 6 months .

In my case I am planning to bring my kid back to UK as soon as she gets the British Passport. In order to do that i have to obtain an exit visa from my local FRRO in India. A prior online appointment must be made after the British passport is issued. It's a one day process and the applicant must exit within one month of grant of visa. Proof of flight ticket, Indian passport surrender certificate and british passport original must while making application. (Fees approx: rs 5000)
Thanks
Manoj

ukba2536

Post by ukba2536 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Manoj79 wrote:
ukba2536 wrote:

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

Hi Manoj

Thanks
Hi,
I would suggest you to contact your local FRRO office in India. Website http://www.boi.gov.in/ They should be able to guide through the process. Your kid could apply for PIO from India (I am not sure 100% ). Usually a British citizen must register there details in FRRO if they decide to stay in India for more than 6 months .

In my case I am planning to bring my kid back to UK as soon as she gets the British Passport. In order to do that i have to obtain an exit visa from my local FRRO in India. A prior online appointment must be made after the British passport is issued. It's a one day process and the applicant must exit within one month of grant of visa. Proof of flight ticket, Indian passport surrender certificate and british passport original must while making application. (Fees approx: rs 5000)
Thanks
Manoj
Thanks Manoj

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 am

No calls were made to Counter signatory. Referee is a an Engineer living and working in India holding Indian passport.

Child's Indian passport was surrendered at regional passport office, by grandparents. 17 May 2013 (Certificate was issued on same day)

Update: 22 June 2013 British passport arrived

New British Passport took nearly 7 weeks to arrive from the date of application. Passport was printed in UK and sent to British High Commission in Delhi on 14th June 2013. Arrived by courier DHL on 22nd June 2013

Update: 28th June 2013. Exit visa issued

Application was made for Exit visa at Chennai FRRO and the exit visa was granted on the same day.

Documents Requested: Photos-2, Original British passport, Original Birth certificate, Original British Registration certificate, Original Indian passport surrender certificate, flight ticket, on-line appointment & application form, copy of parents passport copy including visa status, copy of Parents address proof in UK, copy of Guardians address proof in India (Ration card or EB card as they didn't accept guardians passport as address proof), Parents covering letter if can't present in present at the time of application, Fees RS. 4919.

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]
Last edited by Manoj79 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manoj79
Newly Registered

Post by Manoj79 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

Manoj79 wrote:
Help on hand wrote:it is too early to receive passport for your child, as process will take longer in high commissions around the world comparing to process here in UK. Be patient
I agree with you. It would take at least 4-5 months to process the application if kid was born in India (Assuming the application is straight forward and has no issues).
However,my kid was born in UK (and has birth certificate & British registration certificate issued in UK). I assume the verification process should be easy and straight forward for passport services, Delhi. So, I am anticipating the passport in another 2-3 weeks time. Lets wait and see what happens...:roll:
Update: As I assumed it only took 7 weeks altogether to issue a British passport by BHC Delhi for a UK born Child.

rivercam

Post by rivercam » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

HI Manoj

Earlier you helped me with my son's registration and i thank you very much for your help. Now I recieved my son's passport from india. could you please tell me if you don't mind the name of the solicitor in uk who did the notary so that i will also try with him as in my place costing lot of money to attest all pages of the passports.
thank you

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Post by lovekirankumar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Manoj,

"Child's grandparents surrendered the kids passport and posted the passport surrender certificate to British passport services in Delhi."

Could you able to confirm that you have surrendered your child Indian passport and sent surrender certificate to British High commission to receive BP.

Regards
Kiran

Thanks
Child's dad

[/b]

ashok2013
Newly Registered

Applying British Passport from India

Post by ashok2013 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Hello Manoj,

Could you please let me known below details please - to British passport from India

1. Application form used
2. Mode of Payment (Cheque,Demand Draft,UK Credit/Debit cards, INDIA Credit/Debit cards)
3. Do i need be attest child's photo?

Thanks

maddyinlon

Post by maddyinlon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Hello Manoj,

Please see the link below and it contradicts what you are saying. Do we really need to submit Indian passport and get surrender certificate before we apply for British passport from India?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... equired_fo