ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

VishalG

OCi Collection by Post

Post by VishalG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi All

Can anyone advise please if I send my UK passport along with my wife's passport by post to get OCI from CGI Birmingham once approved, do I need to send seprate return envelop or can i send one return delivery envelop.

Thanks

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:26 pm

This is a really a confused thing

The best advice I would give is send them seperately and receive them seperately

Else wait for reply from experts on this forum

VishalG

OCI Collection

Post by VishalG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Its ok thanks I think I fund the answer.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... collection

someone already gone through this process.

Thanks

docvenkat
Newly Registered

Re: OCI new rules

Post by docvenkat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:35 pm

[quote="ban.s"][quote="docvenkat"]Hello people , just to let everyone know
They recently introduced a new rule re OCI that it has to be renewed untill age 20, every time when passport is renewed and also once above 50 age

Ref: OCI website[/quote]

this is not a new rule - i don't know exactly when this was introduced but it's in place for quite sometime.[/quote]

Well, good for you but news for many people like me!

http://www.cgibirmingham.org/index.php? ... s&id=10#a1

See sec 35A

All the best

nnn
Newly Registered

Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCES

Post by nnn » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello,

Since my acknowledgement on May 29th, the document printing status has not changed from Under Process.

As it took more than 8 weeks to acknowledge the application, I wonder how long I need to wait for this status to change. Any ideas?

Registration Status at Mission LONDON
OCI- Number
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS On

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 pm

docvenkat wrote:
ban.s wrote:
docvenkat wrote:Hello people , just to let everyone know
They recently introduced a new rule re OCI that it has to be renewed untill age 20, every time when passport is renewed and also once above 50 age

Ref: OCI website
this is not a new rule - i don't know exactly when this was introduced but it's in place for quite sometime.

See sec 35A

All the best
Oh my god, this is really news to me. Do we need to reapply for OCI every time we apply new passport for the kids. My daughter is 2 year old and she got British passport with 5 year validity. Last year I applied for PIO as I was not eligible for OCI at that time. This year I became eligible and with me she also became eligible for OCI. So we both applied for OCI. Now if you are saying that she need to reapply once she renews British passport, there is no point for me to apply for OCI for her as she already had PIO which was valid up to 15 years. Thats really waste now

Does anyone know how much OCI renewal costs

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 pm

docvenkat wrote:
ban.s wrote:

this is not a new rule - i don't know exactly when this was introduced but it's in place for quite sometime.

See sec 35A

All the best
Oh my god, this is really news to me. Do we need to reapply for OCI every time we apply new passport for the kids. My daughter is 2 year old and she got British passport with 5 year validity. Last year I applied for PIO as I was not eligible for OCI at that time. This year I became eligible and with me she also became eligible for OCI. So we both applied for OCI. Now if you are saying that she need to reapply once she renews British passport, there is no point for me to apply for OCI for her as she already had PIO which was valid up to 15 years. Thats really waste now

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:42 pm

mrproblem wrote: Does anyone know how much OCI renewal costs
£18.00 (£16+£2) for changing any details in the card and transferring visa to the New Passport. [Procedure: online through Miscellaneous registration].

smatt

Post by smatt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:58 am

mrproblem wrote:
docvenkat wrote:
ban.s wrote:

See sec 35A

All the best

The renewal is not mandatory.......I thnik so..........

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

smatt wrote: The renewal is not mandatory.......I thnik so..........
it's mandatory:

16. Whether OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is taken?

OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completion of 50 years of age in view of biological changes in face of the applicant.
Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory, each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to obtain new set of OCI documents, he/she can apply for the same. If the OCI card is issued at the age of 50 years, there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.

mrproblem

Post by mrproblem » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:31 pm

ban.s wrote:
smatt wrote: The renewal is not mandatory.......I thnik so..........
it's mandatory:

16. Whether OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is taken?

OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completion of 50 years of age in view of biological changes in face of the applicant.
Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate and visa is not mandatory, each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to obtain new set of OCI documents, he/she can apply for the same. If the OCI card is issued at the age of 50 years, there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.
That's sad, I had PIO valid for my child till 15 years, so I should have kept quiet and applied for OCI once she get a new passport after 5 years where she would have had more valid period. I just thought because it is permanent and no renewals etc, I applied OCI thinking that as a permanent option

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:56 pm

mrproblem wrote:
docvenkat wrote:
ban.s wrote:

See sec 35A

All the best

It is not crystal clear from the website whether you to re-apply in full again (thereby paying the full fee) for the OCI once your passport expires or just renew it for £18 with a new sticker in your new passport. It does mention both have to be re-issued-booklet and visa though...

Showy

OCI Renewal

Post by Showy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:11 pm

I think as mentioned earlier due to biological changes during these periods the renewal is required, just a transfer of visa will not be valid but a full check will be required again hence a full price (whatever it may be at the time!!!!)..

Please share experience

If anyone has had any experience of this, either travelled with someone who has renewed their passport but not the OCI and had issues or not

or anyone who went through the renewal process

This would help many to make decisions as to apply for OCI or not for the family.

Many Thanks

chunkybeefsoup

Re: OCI Renewal

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Showy wrote:I think as mentioned earlier due to biological changes during these periods the renewal is required, just a transfer of visa will not be valid but a full check will be required again hence a full price (whatever it may be at the time!!!!)..

Please share experience

If anyone has had any experience of this, either travelled with someone who has renewed their passport but not the OCI and had issues or not

or anyone who went through the renewal process

This would help many to make decisions as to apply for OCI or not for the family.

Many Thanks
I have tried looking for the same information on London HCI site but am having difficulty..

This site has info:

http://nriinformation.com/nri_questions5/faqpage126.htm

If you are aged between 20 and 50 years there is no need to renew.

Re-issuance of OCI card: £ 18

How to update details with new passport:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8562603_updat ... t-oci.html

kirana
Newly Registered

Post by kirana » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

vij_sp_1980 wrote:OCI Application(infant kid): 21st May 2013 (in person @ HCI London)
OCI documents printed : 11th June 2013
OCI dispatched from Delhi :
OCI documents Recd London :
Hi,

I've applied in person on 24th March in London, however I can't see my application status since a week. The link used to say 'UnderProcess ON' looks like no more working(Invalid Input. Please go back and try again). Can I know the link to check the status if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Kirana

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:16 pm

kirana wrote:
vij_sp_1980 wrote:OCI Application(infant kid): 21st May 2013 (in person @ HCI London)
OCI documents printed : 11th June 2013
OCI dispatched from Delhi :
OCI documents Recd London :
Hi,

I've applied in person on 24th March in London, however I can't see my application status since a week. The link used to say 'UnderProcess ON' looks like no more working(Invalid Input. Please go back and try again). Can I know the link to check the status if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Kirana
Sometimes the site goes down. I tried at 13:15 and was working today.

http://passport.gov.in/oci/

papiaroy

OCI status enquiry

Post by papiaroy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:03 am

Has anyone tried to check the online OCI status Enquiry? I am getting the same message that invalid input. Until a few days ago also I got the status saying 'Under Process On'. Now that page is not loading at all.
Thanks
Papia

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

The Site goes down quite often, I checked just now and it is working

Between- the status shows as "under Process ON", do any one what happens after this?

Will it appear in a way that the documents scanned, granted, etc?

or all at one time it appears as Documents received at London?

kasaman
Newly Registered

Post by kasaman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Try it in Google chrome
Its working

argyle_estate
Newly Registered

Re: OCI

Post by argyle_estate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

[quote="eashkuma4"]The Site goes down quite often, I checked just now and it is working

Between- the status shows as "under Process ON", do any one what happens after this?

Will it appear in a way that the documents scanned, granted, etc?

or all at one time it appears as Documents received at London?[/quote]

I also have similar question to people already received OCI

do you receive status update sequentially for each stage?

looking at previous posts, it seems HCI scan the photo/signature normally within 2 weeks but I can't see any status change for 3weeks+ now.

applied in person at HCI oci on 27th May
current online status - UNDER-PROCESS ON

anyone applied end of may?

Showy

Post by Showy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Finally OCI Received at Birmingham Today

Applicant Name S**********
File Acknowledgment Number GBRB******
Date Of Acknowledgment 12-MAR-2013
Registration Status at Mission BIRMINGHAM
OCI- Number A******
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 06-JUN-2013
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 11-JUN-2013
Document received At BIRMINGHAM On 17-JUN-2013

Going to send all 3 passports with a printout of the status screen using SDE and also a SDE inside for returning...

BTW.. Status did not change to GRANTED But straight from UNDER PROCESS to PROCESSED ON 06-JUN-2013 and then the others as seen above..

papiaroy

OCI status enquiry

Post by papiaroy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for sharing your timeline. Can anyone from Birmingham who recently had their OCI share their timeline please?

ang3l.in.paradise

OCI for 3 generations

Post by ang3l.in.paradise » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:23 am

HI I am eligible to apply for OCI and so is my son& grandson.
I have all documents ready for myself.

Proof of address
Filled in Application Form
Photograph
Photocopies of the first page, photo page, all observation pages of valid British/Foreign Passport and ID card are also required.
Copy of Naturalization
Indian Origin Proof
Proof of present citizenship. (passport and citizenship certificate).
Surrender Certificate
Copy of Surrender Certificate
two pre-paid self addressed envelopes (one for immediately acknowledging the receipt of application and the other for returning the original documents; while the first envelope could be first class, the second one to carry originals should be a special delivery pre-paid postage.
postal orders in favour of 'High Commission of India, London'. [The online registration no. (GBRLI.....not GBRLone) of each application should be written on the reverse side of postal orders.]

My questions are:

Can i process OCI for my son & grandson and for myself - all in one single application?

Are there any particular documents required for my son & grandson.

Son is 31 yrs old and grandson is 9 months old. Any advise will be appreciated.

eashkuma4
India

Re: OCI for 3 generations

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:41 am

ang3l.in.paradise wrote:HI I am eligible to apply for OCI and so is my son& grandson.
I have all documents ready for myself.

Proof of address
Filled in Application Form
Photograph
Photocopies of the first page, photo page, all observation pages of valid British/Foreign Passport and ID card are also required.
Copy of Naturalization
Indian Origin Proof
Proof of present citizenship. (passport and citizenship certificate).
Surrender Certificate
Copy of Surrender Certificate
two pre-paid self addressed envelopes (one for immediately acknowledging the receipt of application and the other for returning the original documents; while the first envelope could be first class, the second one to carry originals should be a special delivery pre-paid postage.
postal orders in favour of 'High Commission of India, London'. [The online registration no. (GBRLI.....not GBRLone) of each application should be written on the reverse side of postal orders.]

My questions are:

Can i process OCI for my son & grandson and for myself - all in one single application?

Are there any particular documents required for my son & grandson.

Son is 31 yrs old and grandson is 9 months old. Any advise will be appreciated.
Dear Sir,

Your Son has to make his application directly as he is considered as Full age person and then he has to make application for his son using the same form

I am not sure if you can apply for your Son and Grandson at your end, I suggest first to apply for yours and upon receiving yours, it would become easy to apply theirs.

1. Apply for OCI Online
2.1 Photograph but good to send a spare one as well if sending in post
3. British Passport self attested copies
4. Naturalization certificate self attested copies
5. Surrender Certificate of Indian Passport Original Plus self attested copies
6. Indian passport cancelled one self attested copies
7. Only one special delivery cover for now to return your Original surrender certificate

ang3l.in.paradise

Post by ang3l.in.paradise » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Does anybody have a different view on this? Do we agree that one cannot process the OCI for their son if the son is not a minor?