ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Benzene
Newly Registered

Child tax credit question

Post by Benzene » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi,

I wonder if any expert could help me clarify our situation.

My wife is an EU citizen, and I am a non-EU citizen. A while ago, she got her EEA1 and I got my EEA2, based on her being self-sufficient.

Very recently my wife started working. And now we are wondering, if she can apply child tax credit for the nursery cost for our son? And in addition, once I will be working (not yet), can I apply the same?

Technically, this benefit seems to be called "Childcare Voucher Scheme". Not completely sure if it is just another name as "Child tax credit", or different things.

Anyway, thank you for your answers,

Benzene

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:20 am

Child tax credit is paid for each child below the age of 16 years to its parents/guardian. If your wife start to claim it then you cannot claim twice for same child.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am

Childcare voucher scheme is not the same as child tax credit. Childcare voucher is basically a salary sacrifice to get some of the childcare cost free from tax and NIC (so you get from your employer a voucher for X Pounds which reduces your salary by X saving you to pay tax and NIC on that X).

Depending on the level of her earnings she could apply for both childcare voucher and tax credit. Check the HMRC website for eligibility.

There is no problem for both of you to have Childcare Vouchers although not all employers offer them.

BTW - if the EEA national is now working, CSI is not required for the period she is working (at least for immigration purposes. Might be good idea to have it anyway).

Benzene
Newly Registered

Post by Benzene » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I have a worry in my mind related to our statement when applying for EEA1 and EEA2 based on my EEA wife being self-sufficient. We stated that (I understand we had to):

"Has sufficient financial resources, at the family level, total approx. XXXGBP, in excess of 
minimum threshold for claiming benefits. Hereby also claims not to become a burden on 
the social assistance system of the UK during the intended period of residence. "

Is it OK now to apply for childcare vouchers and child tax credit? Once my EEA wife starts working, is she turning automatically into "exercising worker right" and therefore can automatically and safely claim benefits during the time that she is working, despite the statement made earlier during self-sufficient time?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:44 pm

sheraz7 wrote:Child tax credit is paid for each child below the age of 16 years to its parents/guardian. If your wife start to claim it then you cannot claim twice for same child.
Child tax credits can be paid after the young person is 16, you need to check your facts.

Child care vouchers are not public funds. Child tax credits can be applied for if you have the right to reside.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 pm

D4109125 wrote:
sheraz7 wrote:Child tax credit is paid for each child below the age of 16 years to its parents/guardian. If your wife start to claim it then you cannot claim twice for same child.
Child tax credits can be paid after the young person is 16, you need to check your facts.
Child care voucher an employer pays to working parents employees and OP is still not employed.
For your enhancement of knowledge it is further to be confirmed that child tax credit can still be paid even after 16 years of age if the child is in full time education. Read it again i not answered about child care voucher in the sense of public funds rather just present my generic perspective over child tax credit only because OP is not yet employed.
Last edited by sheraz7 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REGARDS

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Benzene wrote:Thank you for the replies.

I have a worry in my mind related to our statement when applying for EEA1 and EEA2 based on my EEA wife being self-sufficient. We stated.
Is it OK now to apply for childcare vouchers and child tax credit? Once my EEA wife starts working, is she turning automatically into "exercising worker right" and therefore can automatically and safely claim benefits during the time that she is working, despite the statement made earlier during self-sufficient time?
An EEA national can exercise its treaty rights with more than one modes or even can change it by time to time for becoming a qualified person. If after getting EEA2 now your wife start working then she can claim child tax credit (public benefit) and while determining PR your individual family situation will be considered.
REGARDS