ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer getting married in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EEA2
Newly Registered

Overstayer getting married in UK

Post by EEA2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi everyone!
I was asking for help in this forum a while ago. And receive loads of help and support from people on this forum. Really want to thank you guys!
Now I want to know what are you guys think about my friend situation. He overstayed his visa and lost his passport long time ago and lives with his girlfriend from Poland for more than a year. They now want to get married BUT the don't know how. They are scared that immigration will arrest them on their wedding day and deport him. And than it will take years for them to get together again.
Does he have any option?
I also want to add that he doesn't have a passport but can get travel document from his embassy if it will change anything.
Thank you very much in advise.

Diomond

Re: Overstayer getting married in UK

Post by Diomond » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 pm

EEA2 wrote:Hi everyone!
I was asking for help in this forum a while ago. And receive loads of help and support from people on this forum. Really want to thank you guys!
Now I want to know what are you guys think about my friend situation. He overstayed his visa and lost his passport long time ago and lives with his girlfriend from Poland for more than a year. They now want to get married BUT the don't know how. They are scared that immigration will arrest them on their wedding day and deport him. And than it will take years for them to get together again.
Does he have any option?
I also want to add that he doesn't have a passport but can get travel document from his embassy if it will change anything.
Thank you very much in advise.
From my own experience i can tell you that if he goes to marry they will arrest him and will deport him. Happened to me last year. I dont think this is a better option for him. CAN i ask from where your friend is from??
Might his nationality can change the circumstances.

EEA2
Newly Registered

Same

Post by EEA2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks for your reply Diomond.
My friend is from Russia. And his girlfriend from Poland. What do you think? Did they arrest you in registration office on YOUR OWN WEDDING in front of friends and family?????
And did you manage to come back to UK after deportation. If yes how long did it take you?

Diomond

Re: Same

Post by Diomond » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 pm

EEA2 wrote:Thanks for your reply Diomond.
My friend is from Russia. And his girlfriend from Poland. What do you think? Did they arrest you in registration office on YOUR OWN WEDDING in front of friends and family?????
And did you manage to come back to UK after deportation. If yes how long did it take you?
Yes , i was arrested i front of everybody, and was deported as well.
The best option for him is to go back to russia, get marry there or in poland and apply for an eea family permit,either from poland or russia. If his girlfriend is exercising her treaty rights , he would get FP but if they deport him then it would be VERY hard for him to come back to uk, As you said he is living with his girlfriend from 1 year so he even cant apply as an unmarried partner,
It is a hard decision to take but unfortunately thats best for him, good luck

EEA2
Newly Registered

Same

Post by EEA2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for sharing our experience,Diomond.
Can I ask you if they just deported you without giving any chance? I mean did they ask you to prove your relationships are genuine? Like test or maybe asked for your photoes together or like bills????
In their case I am sure the wouldn't go for this because FP will take months or even years to get. And they started new business couple of month ago which they cant leave for so long. It seems like the best option for them to leave everything as it is and apply as unmarried partners in year time. Or they can apply earlier?
Is anybody was in similar situation?

Diomond

Re: Same

Post by Diomond » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:01 pm

EEA2 wrote:Thanks for sharing our experience,Diomond.
Can I ask you if they just deported you without giving any chance? I mean did they ask you to prove your relationships are genuine? Like test or maybe asked for your photoes together or like bills????
In their case I am sure the wouldn't go for this because FP will take months or even years to get. And they started new business couple of month ago which they cant leave for so long. It seems like the best option for them to leave everything as it is and apply as unmarried partners in year time. Or they can apply earlier?
Is anybody was in similar situation?
Just to give u an idea, i have provide them many things to show our relationship for the last 4 years and living together, They simply didnt want to believe. If they want to apply as an unmarried partner, they have to show atleast 2 years , many documents would be needed. It would be hard but offcourse they can try, U never know,
Good luck

EEA2
Newly Registered

Same

Post by EEA2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:24 am

Hi thanks for your reply!
But what about other options? Can they get married in church? Or maybe Jersey ot North Ireland is more safe for them. Please advise! I am sure there are people on this forum who can help.
They are very nice genuine couple. And they not scared of UKBA because they have loads of pics , bills etc But I don't think they will give them a chance to prove anything. They will just deport him without any questions and this is obviously the last thing they want.
Please help!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 pm

EEA2 wrote:Hi everyone!
k He overstayed his visa and lost his passport long time ago and lives with his girlfriend from Poland for more than a year. They now want to get married BUT the don't know how.
If he hasn't got a passport then no chance of getting married anywhere in UK. Same goes with Isle of man or channel islands.

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:16 pm

I do not think there is a possibility of him getting married without a passport, get him to apply for his passport at his embassy, it is better for them to take things slowly at the moment. If they complete 2 years of relationship, he could apply as durable partner, as you said it's being over one year since they have been together, it is better to clock up the 2 years and not risk getting married.

It is risky

EEA2
Newly Registered

Post by EEA2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:55 pm

If he hasn't got a passport then no chance of getting married anywhere in UK. Same goes with Isle of man or channel islands.[/quote]
But on Jersy register office website state that only birth sertificates needed from both partners. But i think they may not be able to buy ferry tickets as you probably need a valid id.
Does anyone know? Is anyone got married in Jersey?

EEA2
Newly Registered

Post by EEA2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 pm

dalebutt wrote:I do not think there is a possibility of him getting married without a passport, get him to apply for his passport at his embassy, it is better for them to take things slowly at the moment. If they complete 2 years of relationship, he could apply as durable partner, as you said it's being over one year since they have been together, it is better to clock up the 2 years and not risk getting married.

It is risky
Do you think it's risky anywhere or just in register office?
Is any chance of getting UKBA permission to get married before ceremony. So at least they will not look like a criminals on their own wedding in front of the guests? Any idea?

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:17 am

I am not sure if I remember correctly but I think Diomond tried to marry British person in UK and was removed (I may be wrong). It is possible to get married with EEA national without being removed but this is not a guarantee. I think it depends if there is suspicion that marriage is of convenience. They can contact UKBA and inform them about this intention, I can't say that they will not arrest him but I guess this situation requires some risk and little faith perhaps. If they love each other and something will go wrong they will overcome difficulties.

AncientAlien

Post by AncientAlien » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:18 pm

I know of somebody who had overstayed his visa and married in the UK, but he HAD a passport to show that he overstayed, that is crucially important.
Without a passport, it is more difficult as the UKBA have no way of knowing whether the person is a terrorist, smuggler etc

When my friend got married, he had been living with his partner as 'unregistered' durable partners for about 1year with proof of address, bills etc
He went to a church of England and after a few months of regularly attending the 7am Sunday service, he explained his predicament to the Rev at the church.
The Rev was reluctant to assist but he referred my friend and his then girlfriend (now wife) to a second Rev in the same church, fortunately this second Rev had seen the couple many times together before in the local area so he had no problems supporting them in their quest for marriage.

He asked them to write to the Church Diocese in Chemlsford, they filled some forms, swore an oath and he took his passport with expired visa. They were then given a certficate which allowed him to marry in the UK without the need for a CoA from HO.

Although my friend said he was afraid he would be arrested throughout the Wedding service but it all went fine, now they have been married for more than 5 yrs.
Google "Marriage CoA" for more information. I hope this helps. :lol:
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy.”-Lord Denning

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:19 pm

EEA2 wrote:If he hasn't got a passport then no chance of getting married anywhere in UK. Same goes with Isle of man or channel islands.
But on Jersy register office website state that only birth sertificates needed from both partners. But i think they may not be able to buy ferry tickets as you probably need a valid id.
Does anyone know? Is anyone got married in Jersey?[/quote]

Foreigner will need a passport to marry in Jersey. They are very aware of this overstayers trying to marry there.

Diomond

Post by Diomond » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Pablito wrote:I am not sure if I remember correctly but I think Diomond tried to marry British person in UK and was removed (I may be wrong). It is possible to get married with EEA national without being removed but this is not a guarantee. I think it depends if there is suspicion that marriage is of convenience. They can contact UKBA and inform them about this intention, I can't say that they will not arrest him but I guess this situation requires some risk and little faith perhaps. If they love each other and something will go wrong they will overcome difficulties.
Pabilito i went to marry an eea national, we had many things to prove the we have been living together for 4 years , and we showed all tht but still they arrest me, then my (now wife) took me out on bail and they ask me to come every week to the immigration office ,after 2 weeks arrested me again ,then again she took me out on bail after 2 weeks they arrested me again ,and then 2nd day they put me on the plane, I am not saying nobody is able to marry , but it is very hard, and is high risk to be arrested, someone said to me dont go to marry but i said i got i have all proofs and my relation is geniuen i dont care, but all this happened what i have explained

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:
EEA2 wrote:If he hasn't got a passport then no chance of getting married anywhere in UK. Same goes with Isle of man or channel islands.
Foreigner will need a passport to marry in Jersey. They are very aware of this overstayers trying to marry there.[/quote]

EEA2
Newly Registered

Post by EEA2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm

AncientAlien wrote:I know of somebody who had overstayed his visa and married in the UK, but he HAD a passport to show that he overstayed, that is crucially important.
Without a passport, it is more difficult as the UKBA have no way of knowing whether the person is a terrorist, smuggler etc

When my friend got married, he had been living with his partner as 'unregistered' durable partners for about 1year with proof of address, bills etc
He went to a church of England and after a few months of regularly attending the 7am Sunday service, he explained his predicament to the Rev at the church.
The Rev was reluctant to assist but he referred my friend and his then girlfriend (now wife) to a second Rev in the same church, fortunately this second Rev had seen the couple many times together before in the local area so he had no problems supporting them in their quest for marriage.

He asked them to write to the Church Diocese in Chemlsford, they filled some forms, swore an oath and he took his passport with expired visa. They were then given a certficate which allowed him to marry in the UK without the need for a CoA from HO.

Although my friend said he was afraid he would be arrested throughout the Wedding service but it all went fine, now they have been married for more than 5 yrs.
Google "Marriage CoA" for more information. I hope this helps. :lol:
Thanks for sharing this happy ending story)
I think there is no marrige COA any longer?????

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:05 pm

The whole story you have mentioned has no relevance.

Marriage COA was abolished about a million years ago.

EEA2
Newly Registered

Post by EEA2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Diomond wrote:
Pablito wrote:I am not sure if I remember correctly but I think Diomond tried to marry British person in UK and was removed (I may be wrong). It is possible to get married with EEA national without being removed but this is not a guarantee. I think it depends if there is suspicion that marriage is of convenience. They can contact UKBA and inform them about this intention, I can't say that they will not arrest him but I guess this situation requires some risk and little faith perhaps. If they love each other and something will go wrong they will overcome difficulties.
Pabilito i went to marry an eea national, we had many things to prove the we have been living together for 4 years , and we showed all tht but still they arrest me, then my (now wife) took me out on bail and they ask me to come every week to the immigration office ,after 2 weeks arrested me again ,then again she took me out on bail after 2 weeks they arrested me again ,and then 2nd day they put me on the plane, I am not saying nobody is able to marry , but it is very hard, and is high risk to be arrested, someone said to me don't go to marry but i said i got i have all proofs and my relation is genuine i don't care, but all this happened what i have explained
That is awful. Why would they do that? i just don't understand it all. By law you are allowed to get married doesn't matter your immigration status , but than they come and arrest you. Isn't it against the law than? I understand when they come to wedding to check if the couple is genuine , which is hush and rude i believe but anyway its the only way to stop those sham marriages happening. But why would they suspect genuine couple with 4 years proof of leaving together??? Did you have solicitor?
Does anybody know, by the law can you get married in UK if you are from EU and your partner is overstayer???

EEA2
Newly Registered

Post by EEA2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:
Ayyubi72 wrote:
Foreigner will need a passport to marry in Jersey. They are very aware of this overstayers trying to marry there.
[/quote]
Thank you!

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:42 pm

EEA2 wrote:
That is awful. Why would they do that? i just don't understand it all. By law you are allowed to get married doesn't matter your immigration status , but than they come and arrest you. Isn't it against the law than?

Isn't it against the law to be in the country without permission in the first place?

I understand when they come to wedding to check if the couple is genuine , which is hush and rude i believe but anyway its the only way to stop those sham marriages happening. But why would they suspect genuine couple with 4 years proof of leaving together??? Did you have solicitor?
Does anybody know, by the law can you get married in UK if you are from EU and your partner is overstayer?
Registering a genuine marriage does not take the fact away that someone is an overstayer. If you are an overstayer UKBA can detain you when they want. Going shopping, at home, in a park, in a restaurant or in register office.

Pablito
Member of Standing
Poland

Post by Pablito » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:38 pm

When I spoke to Solicitor last year she told me that in principle UKBA don't prevent marriages to be contracted as long as they don't expect marriage of reasons of convenience. Now the question is when UKBA suspect such a marriage.

Your friend in my opinion should try to obtain new passport from his embassy if possible and then if he wishes to get married get married elsewhere or give it a go and try it once they inform home office. Otherwise if they try to get married in registrar, registrar will most likely inform UKBA about this fact. There is not much choice here because I doubt anyone will give them wedding without passport.

They can also ask in EU national embassy if they can contract marriage there, but requirements are a must have.

fazalkhaliq
Newly Registered

EEA2

Post by fazalkhaliq » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:22 am

Hi All
I m new to this forum I have some question.
My college email me that we have report you to UKBA that you have complete your study earlier then expected. My course finish date is April 2013 and the email me on 26 April ....
Then they said you have 60 days to find another sponsor or go back to your home country..
But the main thing is my visa will expire in last week of October 2013.
My question is am I illegal after60 days or not.
Another question plz can I marry with a European girl now in these situations or not...
My girl friend is from Romania. I just scare from registrar office.[/u]

fazalkhaliq
Newly Registered

EEA2

Post by fazalkhaliq » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:26 am

Hi All

I m new to this forum I have some question.

My college email me that we have report you to UKBA that you have complete your study earlier then expected. My course finish date is April 2013 and the email me on 26 April ....

Then they said you have 60 days to find another sponsor or go back to your home country..

But the main thing is my visa will expire in last week of October 2013.

My question is am I illegal after60 days or not.

Another question plz can I marry with a European girl now in these situations or not...

My girl friend is from Romania. I just scare from registrar office.[/u]

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:33 am

@ fazalkhaliq, please ask your question only once as it may cause confusion