ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

should I change name before or after naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jasper_X
Newly Registered

should I change name before or after naturalisation?

Post by Jasper_X » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:26 am

I will be applying for naturalisation is 3 months time.
and I would like to change both my first and last name by deep poll.
I am aware that it's possible to do this either before or after naturalisation,
but which would be easier and less problematic?

my understanding is that if I change my name now,it would probably be be easier because I will just need to send a copy of deed poll with the rest of the application,but what about other data they would be verifying like my address history,life in the uk certificate,etc which are all based on "old" name?

if I do it after naturalisation,do I have to pay for another naturalisation certificate?

does anyone have any information/advice in this regards?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: should I change name before or after naturalisation?

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Jasper_X wrote:I will be applying for naturalisation is 3 months time.
and I would like to change both my first and last name by deep poll.
I am aware that it's possible to do this either before or after naturalisation,
but which would be easier and less problematic?

my understanding is that if I change my name now,it would probably be be easier because I will just need to send a copy of deed poll with the rest of the application,but what about other data they would be verifying like my address history,life in the uk certificate,etc which are all based on "old" name?

It is entirely upto you when you want to do it. If you change your name before naturalisation, then there is space in the application for your old name. You apply in your new name, and also mention the old name where asked for in the form. They will check you old and new name history.

if I do it after naturalisation,do I have to pay for another naturalisation certificate?

You will not get a new naturalisation certificate after name change. You will just use your deed poll to show your new name.

does anyone have any information/advice in this regards?