ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surinder Singh route for elderly parents: length of stay

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ulanata
Newly Registered

Surinder Singh route for elderly parents: length of stay

Post by ulanata » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while, and I think I got most of the information I need now, but I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable could answer a couple of questions.

I am British but my parents are non-EU citizens. I have a good job in London and I have just been told that I might be sent to Switzerland for about 4 months to work in our Zurich office. So I will clearly be exercising my economic rights there. After I return back to the UK, can my elderly parents use Surinder Singh route to come to the UK to join me here?

Would really appreciate some thought on this!

Thanks a lot!
Natasha
Last edited by ulanata on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Surinder Singh route for elderly parents: length of stay

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:42 pm

ulanata wrote:Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while, and I think I got most of the information I need now, but I would appreciate if someone knowledgeable could answer a couple of questions.

I am British but my parents are non-EU citizens. I have a good job in London and I have just been told that I might be sent to Switzerland for about 4 months to work in our Zurich office. Is there any chance I can use this on my return back to the EU to claim that I was exercising my treaty rights my working for 4 month in Switzerland and use Surinder Singh route to bring my parents in the UK?

Would really appreciate some thought on this!

Thanks a lot!
Natasha
If your parents lived with you in Switzerland and were dependent on you that may work.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ulanata
Newly Registered

Post by ulanata » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, D4109125!

So you think if they don't live with me there, there is no chance? I was hoping to go there to work, then come back, and then they could apply to join me here. Is this unrealistic then?

Thanks again!
Last edited by ulanata on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Dependent family members need to live together in other member state in order to be benefited from this route.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

ulanata
Newly Registered

Post by ulanata » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks, Sheraz7!

Has this not been changed though? From here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /#header14
it looks like only spouses/partners need to live together

EUN2.14 Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases)
As a general rule, family members of British citizens do not qualify for an EEA family permit. Article 3 of the Directive essentially says that an EEA national cannot be considered as exercising freedom of movement in their own State -

This Directive shall apply to all Union citizens who move to or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are a national, and to their family members as defined in point 2 of Article 2 who accompany or join them.

However, where an EEA national has exercised a treaty right in another Member State as a worker or self-employed and they wish to return to their own State having exercised that right, certain provisions may apply in order for their non-EEA family members to qualify under the EEA Regulations.

A British national and his / her non-EEA national family members can only benefit from free movement rights if they meet the criteria established in the ECJ case of Surinder Singh. The case stated that nationals of a Member State who are exercising an economic Treaty right (that is, as a worker or self-employed person) in another Member State will, on return to their home state, be entitled to bring their non-EEA family members to join them under EC law.

Example: A British national is exercising an economic Treaty right in Germany and living with his non-EEA national spouse and children. On the British national's return to the UK, his non-EEA national family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join him under EC law.

The Surinder Singh judgment is incorporated into the EEA Regulations in Regulation 9. Family members of British nationals who meet the requirements of Regulation 9 are treated as family members of EEA nationals for the purposes of the EEA Regulations.

Applications for EEA family permits must meet the following criteria:

The British citizen must be residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or have been doing so before returning to the UK.
If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or must have entered into the marriage or civil partnership and have been living together in the relevant EEA country before the British citizen returned to the UK.

Because EEA nationals have an initial three months right of residence in the UK, there is no requirement for the British national to be a qualified person on arrival. Therefore, an EEA family permit can be issued to the non-EEA national family member of a British national even if they are only visiting the UK with the British national before returning to the Member State where they are resident.

It does not matter if the only reason the British national went to another Member State was to exercise an economic Treaty right was so that he / she could come back to the UK with his / her family members under EC law.

The ECO should seek advice from ECCCAT where unsure about the decision to be taken in applying the Surinder Singh judgment.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:06 am

But does secondment count? For the 4 months you are working in Zurich, do you need to be paid by the local affiliate/office of your employer (vs. the wages coming from the UK)? And does it need to go I to a Swiss bank account (vs. your current UK account?)

Any insights welcome. I'm thinking about approaching my employer with a proposal to work in an EU member state just to get access to the Surinder Singh route :)

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

I am not sure why non-EEA national dependent parents have to live with British citizen while he/she is exercising treaty rights in another country?

According to this it seems this condition is only for soouse or civil partners
(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /eun/eun2/)
EUN2.14 Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases)

If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner,
they are living together in the EEA country or must have entered into the marriage or civil partnership and have been living together in the relevant EEA country before the British citizen returned to the UK.

Can someone comments as I am confused.

Thanks

ulanata
Newly Registered

Post by ulanata » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi, it's me again :)

I am now "excercising" my right in Switzerland and my parents came over and are living with me here now.

Can anyone advise how do I prove that they are living here? My tenancy agreement is in the name of my company, and all bills are included in the rent...

Also, any chance anyone can recommend a good immigration lawyer I can use when I return to the UK and start the application process?

Thanks a lot!

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 pm

What visa did parents come to Switzerland on?

broadacre
Newly Registered

Post by broadacre » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:50 am

ulanata wrote:Hi, it's me again :)

I am now "excercising" my right in Switzerland and my parents came over and are living with me here now.

Can anyone advise how do I prove that they are living here? My tenancy agreement is in the name of my company, and all bills are included in the rent...

Also, any chance anyone can recommend a good immigration lawyer I can use when I return to the UK and start the application process?

Thanks a lot!
Hi Ulanata,
Is there any positive outcome? I would really appreciate your experience with the whole process.

Regards,

craig_in_china
Newly Registered

Post by craig_in_china » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:06 pm

ulanata wrote: I am now "excercising" my right in Switzerland and my parents came over and are living with me here now.
I'd also like to hear how this goes for you - I'm planning something similar!

jpshayer
Newly Registered

Post by jpshayer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi

Can we have update on this please? I hope it worked out well for you?

Regards
Jay

vkjainuk

Post by vkjainuk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Ulanata,

Pls update on your situation .....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 am

**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

heyitsme

Post by heyitsme » Tue May 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Can you please update on your situation as to were you able to get residence card of EU state issued for your parents?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm

heyitsme wrote:Can you please update on your situation as to were you able to get residence card of EU state issued for your parents?

Who are you asking?
Member ulanata last posted in 2013 and only visited the Board 5 or 6 times.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.