ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

mininum legal age for marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

mininum legal age for marriage

Post by khanmaliknasir » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

hi dears what is minimum legal age for marriage in uk?
cheers

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: mininum legal age for marriage

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:25 pm

khanmaliknasir wrote:hi dears what is minimum legal age for marriage in uk?
cheers
As I understand it it's 16 with parents consent, with or without under Scottish Law.

But u can't apply for a fiancee/spouse visa until u r 18, I learnt that here recently.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Isn't it that in fact it has been 'proposed' to increase it to 21? And we all know what happens with the so-called 'proposals' :wink: (Think visa increase 'proposals') :roll:

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

Post by khanmaliknasir » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:47 pm

thank you so much for reply.my fiance is scottish and she 17 so we can marry by law with parent or with out parents concent?i am above 18 so what will be satution to change my visa status?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:01 pm

You can't sponsor or be sponsored for a spouse visa if you are under 18. Doesn't really matter if your partner is Scottish, it will be determined by UK immigration rules, which state that both parties have to be at least 18yo.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:15 pm

khanmaliknasir wrote:thank you so much for reply.my fiance is scottish and she 17 so we can marry by law with parent or with out parents concent?i am above 18 so what will be satution to change my visa status?
I am wondering if you are not the same as "Scootnfast" of the these postings http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=15039 with a new ID :roll:
Praise The Lord!!!!

stedman

Post by stedman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:47 pm

khanmaliknasir wrote:thank you so much for reply.my fiance is scottish and she 17 so we can marry by law with parent or with out parents concent?i am above 18 so what will be satution to change my visa status?
The last 16 year old I knew who married her 31 year old boyfriend (he told her he was 23, but that's another story) ended up having the marriage annulled upon pressure from her parents... and he did not get the spouse visa he wanted, with no appeal possible. I think the HO are very suspicious of young British girls who go to Grentna Green for shotgun weddings to non UK citizens with expiring visas... so be careful.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:44 am

Rozen wrote:Isn't it that in fact it has been 'proposed' to increase it to 21?
Not the marriage age itself, but rather the age at which it would be possible to sponsor for immigration on this basis.

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

Post by khanmaliknasir » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:42 am

thnaks for all ur replies. no i am not scotnfast.what i cunclude is tht i have to wait till she 21?is very hard to be honest becoz we cant live like this is ther any chance we can move to ireland or republic of ireland where we can get what we want.thnks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 pm

khanmaliknasir wrote:thnaks for all ur replies. no i am not scotnfast.what i cunclude is tht i have to wait till she 21?is very hard to be honest becoz we cant live like this is ther any chance we can move to ireland or republic of ireland where we can get what we want.thnks
No - u can marry her when as 17, I'm tempted to point out the folly in doing that but this is not a relationship board.

But she cannot sponsor you as her spouse for a spouse visa until she is 18, and possible by then until she's 21, cos the law may have changed.

What is you visa status? Does you/she have income? You'd need to prove income and accommodation when applying for a fiancee/spouse visa.

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

Post by khanmaliknasir » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:13 pm

i am on student visa and we both doin part time jobs becoz of studing.

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

Post by khanmaliknasir » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm

i am still waiting for any solution for my problem because i cant be on student visa if i married her.then i need to work and on student visa i cant work more then 20 hours.is ther any chance to get marriend in reblic of ireland or norther ireland and gt spouse visa?please consider my problem and please let me know if there any way out from this satution.thnx

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:11 pm

khanmaliknasir wrote:i am still waiting for any solution for my problem because i cant be on student visa if i married her.then i need to work and on student visa i cant work more then 20 hours.is ther any chance to get marriend in reblic of ireland or norther ireland and gt spouse visa?please consider my problem and please let me know if there any way out from this satution.thnx
You're going to have to wait mate, like all good things in life, they don't come easy.

Sounds to me like you're so desperate to stay here, you're considering this rash step. Look, you're young, on a student visa, do the sensible thing and complete your studies. Why the rush?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue May 01, 2007 10:42 am

khanmaliknasir wrote:i am still waiting for any solution for my problem because i cant be on student visa if i married her.then i need to work and on student visa i cant work more then 20 hours.is ther any chance to get marriend in reblic of ireland or norther ireland and gt spouse visa?please consider my problem and please let me know if there any way out from this satution.thnx
Sorry, but are you getting married just for the sake of being able to work more hours? You can't apply for a spouse visa whilst she's under 18, so either just finish your course and wait, or....actually, that's your only option!! :lol:

khanmaliknasir
Newly Registered

Post by khanmaliknasir » Sun May 06, 2007 11:05 pm

thanks for all urs replies. its not matter of hours, the thing is that if i gonna marry her then my expence will be increase and then i cant afford only 20 hours work and secondly cant be reguler sstudent prefebly part time.