ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Details of using degree from outside UK for FLR (M) English

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Srihari_G
Newly Registered

Details of using degree from outside UK for FLR (M) English

Post by Srihari_G » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Details of using degree from outside UK for FLR (M) English requirement

To complete my FLR(M) application, I spent some time to understand FLR(M) English requirement and evidence required. I thought it would be useful to other relevant applicants and saves their time, thus posting the details here. (The below details and links are valid and accurate as at today 25th JAN 2013.)

English language Requirement

If applicant is NOT a National of a majority English-speaking country, to satisfy English language requirement under FLR (M) category, you (excluding cases where age under 65 years or candidate has a valid physical or mental condition/ are exceptional compassionate circumstances) can show that,
[REFERENCE: Page 6, of flr(M) guidance at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... 020091.pdf
directs to http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -language/ for more details]

1. Have passed an English language test in speaking and listening at level 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference or above, with a UKBA approved provider
OR
2. Have an academic qualification recognised by NARIC UK as equivalent to Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK and which must have been taught in English.

Using your degree (UG /PG degree) from outside UK to meet your English language ability in FLR (M)

If you have a degree taught in English, these are two ways to verify it’s validity, to use as an evidence to meet the English language requirement.

1. Using Points based calculator at UKBA website
It is simple, free to use and straightforward method. If you find your qualification on the points-based calculator and score 10 points, you are able to use the degree, to meet the requirement. Page 7 in the document at below link explains how to use point based calculator for this purpose
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
in paragraph 4.3, on page 7, it is quoted that
“Further information on how to verify academic qualifications taught in English awarded in the UK and outside the UK to ensure that they are valid and genuine can be found within the Points Assessment for English Language skills. This can be found on the UKBA Website under Tier 2 (General) English Language Guidance”.

Tier 2 General policy guidance is available at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf
On Page 29 of Tier 2 guidance, in the section 132 & 133 it is quoted that,
132. For degrees taught in other countries, you will be awarded 10 points where the points based calculator confirms your qualification is equivalent to at least a UK bachelor’s degree and was taught to a level of English equivalent to level C1 on the CEFR.
133. The points-based calculator contains information from UK NARIC and is on our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator. You can confirm that we regard your degree was taught in English by using the English language section.
If you take a copy of calculator results scoring 10 point in English skills section would be enough as an evidence, as the case worker can verify it.

2. NARIC UK certificate
If you can not find your qualification on the point-based calculator, you can contact UK NARIC [www.naric.org.uk.] for English Language Assessment by sending the photo copy of your degree certificate, transcripts, and photocopy of evidence to certify that your degree was taught in English from the awarding institution. If UN NARIC provides you confirmation certificate that serves purpose. If UN NARIC can’t confirm means, you can’t meet the English language requirement using that qualification.

The above details are equally valid for the applicants who make FLR (M) application under rules before or after 9th July 2012.
Even though I gathered every information from UKBA official documents, I kindly request moderators to correct any errors in the above details.

aamirshanu
Newly Registered

Post by aamirshanu » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:45 pm

hey my i have done my bachelor degree from dubai and my university name is showing on uk points based calculator but my point is showing 0
what does this mean my bachelor degree is not equal to uk standard??

mahajegadesh
Newly Registered

ILR Engish language Requirement

Post by mahajegadesh » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi

From oct 2013 we have to show english language equivalent to level B1 for ILR. Just want to know if we can show the PBS calculator print out as evidence , my university is listed and I score 10 points, do they accept this? I am not able to see anywhere as this evidence is accepted as proof , anybody really tried it out?

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Re: ILR Engish language Requirement

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm

mahajegadesh wrote:Hi

From oct 2013 we have to show english language equivalent to level B1 for ILR. Just want to know if we can show the PBS calculator print out as evidence , my university is listed and I score 10 points, do they accept this? I am not able to see anywhere as this evidence is accepted as proof , anybody really tried it out?
No body could possibly try it out because the whole thing does not come into effect until october.

rudegirlie
Newly Registered

SPOUSE VISA ENGLISH LANGUAGE EXEMPTION

Post by rudegirlie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Hello all,
My husband had Post Graduate Diploma level 7 taught in english and the certificate issued by UK University.

Is he exempted from english language requirement for spouse visa?

Plz, advice

zoehad9
Newly Registered

Re: Details of using degree from outside UK for FLR (M) Engl

Post by zoehad9 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks Shridher
It's will help me..