ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born in UK -Dep visa(2013) || british passport query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

needilr2013
Newly Registered

Baby born in UK -Dep visa(2013) || british passport query

Post by needilr2013 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:54 am

Hi All

I am illegible for an ILR by next month. My son was born in uk in 2012.We wned to india to visit my family later that year and got him on dependent visa in march 2013.

So now after i get my ilr can i get him a British passport straight away?

Or is he going to be considered as part of the new dependent rules for staying in uk for 5 years and then getting ILR ?? i would assume as he is born here he should get birth right of getting british nationality.

Please advise

Mind_The_Gap

Re: Baby born in UK -Dep visa(2013) || british passport quer

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 am

needilr2013 wrote:Hi All

I am illegible for an ILR by next month. My son was born in uk in 2012.We wned to india to visit my family later that year and got him on dependent visa in march 2013.

So now after i get my ilr can i get him a British passport straight away?

Or is he going to be considered as part of the new dependent rules for staying in uk for 5 years and then getting ILR ?? i would assume as he is born here he should get birth right of getting british nationality.

Please advise
Hi needilr2013,

If the child was born in the UK after one parent has ILR/PR, then the child is British from birth and can apply directly for a passport.

Ref: Section 9.17

However, from your post it appears that this is not the case.
Your son/daughter can apply for registration as BC once one parent is granted ILR, irrespective of immigration status so ILR application can be skipped. However, the process of applying + passport application can take 3-6 months so if there are plans for the child to travel during that period, he will require a suitable visa to re-enter the UK. In that case, you should not skip the ILR.

Hope this helps.

Sep08T1Applicant
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Sep08T1Applicant » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:15 am

It might be relevant

needilr2013
Newly Registered

Post by needilr2013 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks guys

My only concern is the new Dependent rules placed from 2012 onwards. which states that people on dependent visa after jan 2012 need to stay in uk for 5 years in order to get ilr. I hope this doest apply for the child born in uk

shahid2000
Member of Standing

Post by shahid2000 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:23 pm

needilr2013 wrote:Thanks guys

My only concern is the new Dependent rules placed from 2012 onwards. which states that people on dependent visa after jan 2012 need to stay in uk for 5 years in order to get ilr. I hope this doest apply for the child born in uk
This will not be an issue if you successfully get ILR because the child will be "entitled" for citizenship and child's application will not be at UKBA discretion.

The only complication can be that if your ILR is not approved then the child will not get appeal rights with you. If your ILR application is straight forward then dont include your child, a lot of people do this, I did the same.