ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

50K or 200K for a business more than 1-year old?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

syy
Newly Registered

50K or 200K for a business more than 1-year old?

Post by syy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi,

I registered as self-employed and started an art & design business 2 years ago while holding a Post-Study visa. I want to stay for my work by getting a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa this year. However, I double checked the policy guidance recently and realised I might be required to make 200K further investment instead of 50K.

This is what makes me confused: Page 37 of 53 - Annex A - A3 & A4:

A3. The money used will only qualify for the award of points if it will be new investment in the UK. A new investment is one made within the 12 calendar months before the date of application.

A4. If you have already legally established a business that complied with relevant UK legislation in the UK while here under a different immigration category, you must satisfy the full requirements for the Entrepreneur initial application before you can be considered for approval. This means that if you made the investment in the business more than 12 months before applying to enter the category, you must make a further investment of 200K.

My question is the definition of "new investment". Does it mean "the money I put in an existing business" or a "totally new business"?

My business has been lasting for 2 years but I put in money to buy new equipments every year. It is an on-going investment. It's not fully established but time-wise I am not sure if the UKBA will see that as an established one.

If anyone can give me some advice on this, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Suet Yi

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Re: 50K or 200K for a business more than 1-year old?

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Please dont confuse yourself. Let me make it clear for you.

If the business that you are running is at level 4 or above then you only need to invest 50K, you can say that you have already invested it or you can say that you would be investing in the future. No problem.

If the business is below level 4 then you need to invest 200K.

The other option is to register a new company that is level 4 and above and only then you would qualify for 50K investment.

Hope that makes sense to you.

If it doesnt, then you need a proper legal advice.

Good Luck
syy wrote:Hi,

I registered as self-employed and started an art & design business 2 years ago while holding a Post-Study visa. I want to stay for my work by getting a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa this year. However, I double checked the policy guidance recently and realised I might be required to make 200K further investment instead of 50K.

This is what makes me confused: Page 37 of 53 - Annex A - A3 & A4:

A3. The money used will only qualify for the award of points if it will be new investment in the UK. A new investment is one made within the 12 calendar months before the date of application.

A4. If you have already legally established a business that complied with relevant UK legislation in the UK while here under a different immigration category, you must satisfy the full requirements for the Entrepreneur initial application before you can be considered for approval. This means that if you made the investment in the business more than 12 months before applying to enter the category, you must make a further investment of 200K.

My question is the definition of "new investment". Does it mean "the money I put in an existing business" or a "totally new business"?

My business has been lasting for 2 years but I put in money to buy new equipments every year. It is an on-going investment. It's not fully established but time-wise I am not sure if the UKBA will see that as an established one.

If anyone can give me some advice on this, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Suet Yi

Darvesh
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Darvesh » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 pm

first u need to determine level of ur business? if it is a level 4 or above business then u need only 50k.

lets ur business is level 4 business, now if ur last investment was made within 12months of date of application and it is 50k then u dont need another investment.

if investment older than 12 month by the time of application then u need 50k under psw->T1E route provided ur business is level4.

if less than level4 business than u need a fresh 200k investment regardless how old or new ur business is.

syy
Newly Registered

sorry

Post by syy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I didn't mean to but 2 identical posts turned up. I don't know what I have done. Sorry!

syy
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advice!

Post by syy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Darvesh wrote:first u need to determine level of ur business? if it is a level 4 or above business then u need only 50k.

lets ur business is level 4 business, now if ur last investment was made within 12months of date of application and it is 50k then u dont need another investment.

if investment older than 12 month by the time of application then u need 50k under psw->T1E route provided ur business is level4.

if less than level4 business than u need a fresh 200k investment regardless how old or new ur business is.

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick advice!

Yes, my business falls into NQF Level 4. The code of practice is 3411 for Creative Artist.

I invested about 25K(12.5K per year) in the last two years. I know only those for the last 12 months will be counted so I need to prepare 37.5K cash in my account for my application now. Am I right?

syy
Newly Registered

Re: 50K or 200K for a business more than 1-year old?

Post by syy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Entrepreneur9 wrote:Please dont confuse yourself. Let me make it clear for you.

If the business that you are running is at level 4 or above then you only need to invest 50K, you can say that you have already invested it or you can say that you would be investing in the future. No problem.

If the business is below level 4 then you need to invest 200K.

The other option is to register a new company that is level 4 and above and only then you would qualify for 50K investment.

Hope that makes sense to you.

If it doesnt, then you need a proper legal advice.

Good Luck
Hello,

Yes, it makes sense. I feel much more relieved now. Thank you for clearing my confusion!

Thanks,

Entrepreneur9
Member of Standing

Re: Thank you for your advice!

Post by Entrepreneur9 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Yes you are right, if you have already invested £12.5K within 12 months from the date of application in a business at level 4 or above then you need to maintain the remaining 37.5 in your account now.
syy wrote:
Darvesh wrote:first u need to determine level of ur business? if it is a level 4 or above business then u need only 50k.

Hi there,

Yes, my business falls into NQF Level 4. The code of practice is 3411 for Creative Artist.

I invested about 25K(12.5K per year) in the last two years. I know only those for the last 12 months will be counted so I need to prepare 37.5K cash in my account for my application now. Am I right?

syy
Newly Registered

Re: Thank you for your advice!

Post by syy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Brilliant!!!! Now I just need to work hard + save up + get an accountant to do the document for proving the money already invested.

Thank you for your help!

Entrepreneur9 wrote:Yes you are right, if you have already invested £12.5K within 12 months from the date of application in a business at level 4 or above then you need to maintain the remaining 37.5 in your account now.
syy wrote:

Hi there,