ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am holding ILR planning to move to India forever? pls help

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

faislondon
BANNED

I am holding ILR planning to move to India forever? pls help

Post by faislondon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:18 pm

Dear Gurus,

This forum has really helped me in all my immigration queries. I received my ILR this year in March. I would be eligible for BC next year in March.
I want to return back to India for good next year. Now I dont want to give up my Indian nationality. I am really attached to India.
Is there any way I can keep my ILR and live in India. I want to keep my option open for future incase. I am aware that I cannot live abroad for more than 2 years. What if I travel to UK just for a year in every 2 years?. Although I am pretty sure I wont come back to work and live here.

Gurus please advise. Thank you.
Nothing is permanent whatever you have enjoy it :-)

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 am

deleted_user

Post by deleted_user » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 am

Please sign the petition before you leave.
Last edited by deleted_user on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:53 am

Get your BC and the apply for OCI..this will means that you will give up your Indian nationality but OCI entitles you to the same right as Indian citizen apart from voting and taking up government jobs..

nivasns
Newly Registered

Thiking to go to India for good but planning to keep ILR

Post by nivasns » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi All

I will be applying for ILR in the next month and our preference is not to take up British citizenship.

For family and professional reasons, I would like to go back to India for good towards end of this year but I would like to keep the ILR valid so that I will have an option to come back in the future.

Is it possible to keep coming to UK for few weeks well before 2 year away period to keep ILR active?

I read in the UKBA website that residents can come back to UK if the away period is less than 2 years and planning to live here premanently etc. This is where I need guidance so that we can plan accordingly.

Thanks

gaurav76.5
Member of Standing

Post by gaurav76.5 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I dont think you can do it often and its valid for first 2 years only..Gurus might be able to confirm...

But honestly if it was possible everyone wld have done that...

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:07 pm

See Returning residents

You have to be returning to live here permanently and by the sounds of it the OP is not.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

faislondon
BANNED

Post by faislondon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:59 pm

I have now gone through various links on Home office website. To me it looks that definitely one will face issues in the second trip. First trip however one can just say that you have been away for emergency. But next trip can be an issue. Your intention should be to permanently settle here.
I guess for the people like me who are sceptical for BC the best option is to go away for few months less in 2 years. Make a decision if its worth to live in UK.

Honestly I am now not a big fan of UK after 8 years struggling here. Also if I take BC then as per Indian law I can calm it back after 5 years but as we all knows Indian laws are not as it is when you actually get into it.
Since I am not planning to live in UK permanently I am still thinking on BC.
Nothing is permanent whatever you have enjoy it :-)

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 pm

I think you'll struggle everywhere in the world. I know you may be disappointed with the 'red tape'. However, India has got it's ups and downs too.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

stokbrig

Post by stokbrig » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Maybe you should stay where you feel happy! consider your basic Factors for Happiness so you can decide where to live!