ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving/working abroad effects on FLR (M)?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ijamesf

Moving/working abroad effects on FLR (M)?

Post by ijamesf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Hi there,

Just looking for some advice regarding applying for FLR (m).

My wife got her spouse VISA a couple of months ago and she is at last now with me in the UK. However its been a plan for a while to go and live and work in the UAE for at least the next five years.

With my wife being out of the UK would she be able to return to the UK to apply for the FLR (m) to keep her UK VISA status up to date? Are there any grounds of refusal for FLR (M) for periods out of the UK?

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 pm

In order to extend the flr(m) you'll have to be back in the UK. When it comes to settlement you'll be allowed a limited time absent for good reason, employment abroad would be good reason, but would 5 years be limited?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Yes I'm struggling to find the right pages on the UKBA website which goes into this area.

So to extend could my wife travel back, obtain FLR, then travel back again, or would i need to go back each time too? Not a problem if i needed to.

Is there a limit to the number of times you can apply for FLR if you are not eligible for ILR, if for my example, you are out of the country for too long etc but want to maintain UK VISA status?

5 years wouldn't be limited by myself, if we liked it, it could be longer.

Appreciate your response as always D4109125 and others if you have knowledge in this area.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:30 am

Within Chapter 8 Appendix FM - Annex 1.0 partners it states

3.2 LEAVE TO REMAIN AS A PARTNER

3.2.1 Requirements for limited leave to remain as a partner

The requirements to be met by an applicant for leave to remain as a partner of a British Citizen; a person present and settled in the UK; or a person in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection under paragraph R-LTRP.1.1 of Appendix FM are that:

(a) the applicant and their partner must be in the UK;

However further down it states

Where limited periods of time have been spent outside of the UK, this must be for good reasons and the reasons must be consistent with the intention to live together permanently in the UK. Good reasons could include time spent in connection with the applicant‟s or their partner‟s employment, holidays, training or study.

If they have spent the majority of the period overseas, there may be reason to doubt that all the requirements of the rules have been met, e.g. that the couple intend to live together permanently in the UK. Each case must be judged on its merits, taking into account reasons for travel, length of absence and whether the applicant and sponsor travelled and lived together during the time spent outside the UK. These factors will need to be considered against the requirements of the rules.

Is this not contradictory?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 am

Being outside will not necessarily mean that you cannot settle, it will just mean that you have more onus to prove that you intend to live in the UK. To be honest with the current economic situation it's not inconceivable that you would be working abroad, many people do. Will you still have a place in the UK when you leave? You could keep extending your FLR(m) subject to meeting the requirements and you must be both in the UK when you apply.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ijamesf

Post by ijamesf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 am

Ok understood. Looks like long trips back to sunny blighty for when needs be then.

The plan would be then to get a place before we go and rent it out.

This, for application purposes, would be our UK home and a place we'd always intend to settle. With this and family links /correspondence /holidays it should be fairly simple to prove the UK is a place we'd always intend to settle in, albeit at the time or application living abroad.

Mny thanks again for your help

chatty1986
Newly Registered

Re: Moving/working abroad effects on FLR (M)?

Post by chatty1986 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:55 pm

@jamesf, resurfacing this thread from the dead but I am in the same boat at the moment. Wondering how you guys were doing? and if you managed to move overseas and reapply for the FLR(M) without any trouble?

Thanks.

chatty1986
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by chatty1986 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:56 pm

ijamesf wrote:Ok understood. Looks like long trips back to sunny blighty for when needs be then.

The plan would be then to get a place before we go and rent it out.

This, for application purposes, would be our UK home and a place we'd always intend to settle. With this and family links /correspondence /holidays it should be fairly simple to prove the UK is a place we'd always intend to settle in, albeit at the time or application living abroad.

Mny thanks again for your help
@jamesf, resurfacing this thread from the dead but I am in the same boat at the moment. Wondering how you guys were doing? and if you managed to move overseas and reapply for the FLR(M) without any trouble?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:00 pm

This thread is over three years old and the member ijamesf hasn't visited the forum since February 2014
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:00 pm

chatty1986 wrote:@jamesf, resurfacing this thread from the dead but I am in the same boat at the moment. Wondering how you guys were doing? and if you managed to move overseas and reapply for the FLR(M) without any trouble?

Thanks.
Instead of 'resurrecting' dead topics and cluttering the 'current' requests for help, why don't you just post a new topic with your query/questions? You seem to be posting only in FLR(M) Waiting Times topics, where members generally don't venture to offer advice and you will likely wait a long time for constructive help.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.