ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse VISA Extension or Exemption from Life In The UK Test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hadro
Newly Registered

Spouse VISA Extension or Exemption from Life In The UK Test

Post by hadro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

Hi,

I am a British citizen, long term disabled with Muscular Dystrophy claiming ESA (Support Group) and Disability Living Allowance.

My wife is an American citizen, living with me here in the U.K. under the terms of a Spouse VISA. She is my sole carer.

She entered the U.K. back in June 2009, and when her VISA was due to expire we had to extend it by a further 2 years as she was unable to take the Life In The UK Test due to ill health. During those first 2 years I helped her to withdraw from her prescription medication, under the guidance of our G.P. She has now been free from benzodiazepines for almost 3 years but she is still suffering from what is known as protracted withdrawals. Some of the side effects of this are poor memory and concentration making it impossible to study and pass the Life In The UK Test.

Her current VISA is due to expire in October this year and we're guessing our only option will be to extend again and hope her health will have improved enough in another couple of years to take the test so she can apply for I.L.R.

I have read that in rare cases they will grant an exemption for passing the test. Do you think it may be an option for us, or should we just continue extending until she is well enough.

It can be difficult gathering evidence for protracted withdrawals because some Doctors dispute it exists. There is currently a lot going on behind the scenes trying to raise awareness and some Members of Parliament have set up the All Party Parliamentary Group for Involuntary Tranquiliser Addiction (APPGITA). Sadly the Doctor that treated my wife has just retired, and we've yet to meet his replacement. We hope he will be as understanding.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Has your spouse actually attempted to sit the LIUK test?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hadro
Newly Registered

Post by hadro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:37 pm

D4109125 wrote:Has your spouse actually attempted to sit the LIUK test?
Unfortunately not. Her health has been so up and down it's impossible to make any plans in advance. She has tried on multiple occasions to read the books but she finds them difficult to read at this time. She is well educated and normally loves to read, but since all this happened she hasn't been able to do it.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Even with her limited attention span if would probably be said that she has an advantage over those who don't have English as their first language and who would not normally read in Roman script.