ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drzeevoh73

Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by drzeevoh73 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Guys,
I know from this forum that i can travel on my Naturalisation Certificate, as i am going on holidays to Pakistan this july. I have not made my British passport yet as i had travel plans and i got my Naturalisation Certificate just a few days back. Couple of quick questions,

When i come back to UK, do i have to present my Naturalisation Certificate to immigration officer or my ILR BRP Card?

And second, do i have to fill landing card while coming back?

Thanks.

psb

Post by psb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:58 am

Read this:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... &start=700

Hello Boys and Girls

Passport application: Adult (after naturalisation)
Method of application: PO Check and Send
Date of application: 02/07/2013
Date of fee collection: 02/07/2013 (Paid at Post Office)
Date application acknowledged by IPS: Waiting
Date of receipt of interview letter: Waiting
Date of return of documents: Waiting
Date of passport appointment: Waiting
Date of passport receipt: Waiting

By the way folks I came from my holiday and entered the UK 2 days ago without a UK passport. (Because an unexpected illness in my family
necessitated me travelling before i had a chance to apply for a UK passport. )

I filled in the landing card and presented my ILR card to the immigration officer.
I explained the situation and told him that i was a British citizen . He then took my finger prints using the electronic reader on the counter . Then he too confirmed that i am a British citizen then i passed thru.

Brothers and Sisters many of you wonder and i know that this question was asked in different topics but i still want to answer .
When i asked the UKBA officer very same question he confirmed me !!!
---Becoming a British Citizen does not invalidate your ILR card---

So if you dont have time to get your UK passport or in case of emergency you can travel in and out of the UK using your ILR card.

I just wanted to share my experience with you .

Look after yourselves

drzeevoh73

Post by drzeevoh73 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks psb.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:33 pm

psb wrote:When i asked the UKBA officer very same question he confirmed me !!!
---Becoming a British Citizen does not invalidate your ILR card---
Technically it does. A British citizen can't hold ILR. The HO can't impose any restrictions on a BC. In practice, it doesn't really matter as a British citizen has the right to enter the UK if he can prove he is a British citizen even without a British passport.

psb

Post by psb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:00 pm

The problem normally happens at the airline check-in desk. They need to be persuaded that you have the correct visa for entry into the UK.

One cannot just travel with a naturalisation certificate and foreign passport alone. If the BRP card is still valid, that should be enough for the check-in staff.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:18 pm

psb wrote:The problem normally happens at the airline check-in desk. They need to be persuaded that you have the correct visa for entry into the UK.

One cannot just travel with a naturalisation certificate and foreign passport alone. If the BRP card is still valid, that should be enough for the check-in staff.
I agree but in that case it doesn't really matter what the UKBA officer said. The airline can't check if the card got invalidated by you becoming British. As long as it hasn't expired, that would enough for them.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling on Naturalisation Certificate

Post by lynxukauq » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:41 pm

drzeevoh73 wrote: When i come back to UK, do i have to present my Naturalisation Certificate to immigration officer or my ILR BRP Card?
Your ILR BRR Card and not Naturilsation certificate since you have not received your British Passport. Just simply travel with your Pakistani Passport along with your ILR card

Yes you have to fill in the landing card

Thanks.

ijaz.khanz
Newly Registered

Post by ijaz.khanz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:30 am

drzeevoh73 wrote:Hi Guys,
I know from this forum that i can travel on my Naturalisation Certificate, as i am going on holidays to Pakistan this july. I have not made my British passport yet as i had travel plans and i got my Naturalisation Certificate just a few days back. Couple of quick questions,

When i come back to UK, do i have to present my Naturalisation Certificate to immigration officer or my ILR BRP Card?

Thanks.
Well naturalization certificate is not a travel document and to travel u do need ur passport, naturalization is a process to become BC and get passport but no one can travel with just naturalization certificate

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 pm

And having a valid airline ticket would help too. :lol:

Juan_C
Newly Registered

Post by Juan_C » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

OK I have friend who have traveled with the ILR after naturalization many times... he has not faced any problem so far, but I should highlight that his ILR is a stamp in his passport.
What happens if I have an ILR card?

I paid my holidays with plenty months in advance, but naturalization took longer than i anticipated. I would like to apply for the British passport just after my holidays. Would I be able to return back with my passport and the ILR card? (I'm plannint to complete a land card saying that my status is resident and not British...)

Is there a point in which the Home Office cancel the ILR card after naturalization?

Thanks in advance,

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 am

When one is granted British citizenship their ILR 'simple ceases to exist' if an ECO decides to accept it, that's fine.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hykhan
Newly Registered

Post by hykhan » Wed May 21, 2014 4:01 pm

on a similar topic, i wanted to enquire about my family

my son (15month) had to travel to Pakistan with her mom, he is British national but hasnt got British passport, he has nt got ILR either as he was born here. both me and my mrs has got ILR (BRP card)

he travelled to Pakistan on Pakistani passport, can he come back to UK (with her Mom) carrying his full British birth certificate and registration certificate.

would there be any issue at check in in Pakistan ? infact, i have ve spoken to UKBA ppl at Heathrow and they said there should NOT be any issue , am more concerned about check-in from Pakistan

Rgds
Hashmat

ryan2020
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ryan2020 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:54 pm

That is my Question as well.

If you do no have Visa/ILR and passport which allows you to Enter UK, how come any country PORT will allow you to depart.
wether you have naturalisation certificate or even birth certificate.

Because these documents can be fake and if get caught the departing Authorities will be questioned.

yes when you arrived in UK with Certificate or ILR no one can stop you entering the UK.

hykhan
Newly Registered

Post by hykhan » Sun May 25, 2014 11:53 am

after talking to passport office and also checked online, applying for British passport from PAkistan will take atleast 6 months ( i still cant believe it, my little boy/applicant is only 15months old)

so the most viable option is to apply for visa, i would really appreciate if someone could guide me what type of visa should i apply
family visitor as family member of settle person in UK (both me and my mrs are residents here , got ILR)
or settlement visa

have spoken to different ppl and they seem to suggest, he is already settled (British citizen) here so he wouldnt need settlement visa, and once he come here on visit visa, we can get his proper passport sorted. but would there be any issue when his visit visa expires as that visa cant be changed to any other status

any help/guidance would be much appreciated

JHLN
Newly Registered

Post by JHLN » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:27 am

Hi All - I'm aware that this thread is an old one but I can't find a recent one on the topic and wanted to post this in case anyone was looking for an up-to-date account of travelling on a foreign passport with a UK Naturalisation certificate.
I got my naturalisation about two weeks ago but didn't have enough time to apply for a British passport before my scheduled trip this past weekend. I landed at Gatwick last night and went through the non EU passports line with my Indefinite Leave to Remain biometric card, my US passport and a landing card. I also had my Naturalisation certificate and my marriage certificate as the name on my recently updated passport is now different to what's on my ILR card and my naturalisation certificate shows my name as hyphenated (with my maiden name and married name).
I explained to the woman at immigration that I had my ILR card, passport and naturalisation certificate but hadn't had a chance to get a British passport before my trip. She took all three items plus the landing card to the office to be checked and came back about 30 seconds later saying it was all fine. She didn't stamp my US passport and she gave me back the landing card and waved me through with no issues. That said, I don't think this option should be used more than once or twice. She could see that my naturalisation was only granted a few weeks earlier so there clearly wasn't time to apply for a British Passport. In other circumstances, if the naturalisation was granted some time ago I could see them getting annoyed that I hadn't applied for a passport or for a Right to Abode stamp in my foreign passport. This option should really only be used if you don't have time to get either of those before your next trip. Hope this helps put a few minds at ease in the mean time!

alamfrq
Newly Registered

Post by alamfrq » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 am

[quote="hykhan"]after talking to passport office and also checked online, applying for British passport from PAkistan will take atleast 6 months ( i still cant believe it, my little boy/applicant is only 15months old)

so the most viable option is to apply for visa, i would really appreciate if someone could guide me what type of visa should i apply
family visitor as family member of settle person in UK (both me and my mrs are residents here , got ILR)
or settlement visa

have spoken to different ppl and they seem to suggest, he is already settled (British citizen) here so he wouldnt need settlement visa, and once he come here on visit visa, we can get his proper passport sorted. but would there be any issue when his visit visa expires as that visa cant be changed to any other status

any help/guidance would be much appreciated

Did u apply for passport or visa?