ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Migrants Arriving In UK Will Face An NHS Entry Fee

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dandm

Post by dandm » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:01 pm

I also expect the price of private health insurance for foreigners to go up significantly.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:39 pm

From the practical point of view, the government suggests that we should pay at least 200 pounds per person per year, or 500 per person, or "more". Therefore, for a family of three of working migrants, for example, we are looking at a range of 1,800-4,500 GBP in extra charges when they extend three year visa, for example. Or perhaps it will be up to 9,000 in additional costs, if they decide to charge 1,000 per year per person.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:47 pm

dandm wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:
dandm wrote:

You seem to think paying for insurance covers all your medical costs. You are sadly mistaken. There are more exclusions than inclusions. I have two policies (primary and a secondary "gap" one that is supposed to cover holes) but still face many additional charges.
You are right, the private health insurance market in the UK is very underdeveloped (which is only natural, as they have NHS). So, it is not really an option, and it seems that all migrants will be stuck paying for their "free healthcare" twice.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:51 pm

These people are unbelievable... how generous of them...

read 1.11 and 1.12:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

dandm

Post by dandm » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Yes, very generous of them indeed. 8)

Given that a large chunk of National Insurance is supposed to fund the NHS I think paying National Insurance and this levy constitutes double taxation.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:34 am

dandm wrote: You seem to think paying for insurance covers all your medical costs. You are sadly mistaken.
What I seem to think is that you get what you shop and pay for.
dandm wrote:There are more exclusions than inclusions. I have two policies (primary and a secondary "gap" one that is supposed to cover holes) but still face many additional charges.
Insurance companies aren't our friends. They are out to make money and will squeeze every statistical exception into their policies they can to maximize their likely profitability. I don't mind this. It's just like any other product. You need to read the fine print and be certain that what you think you are buying is indeed what you are actually buying.

If I get to keep the tax money going to NHS and use that to instead pay for my own insurance needs, then I may end up paying more, no doubt. What I'm saying is that if the UK is going to start charging me a fee for NHS, and I decided to opt out, then I'd better get to keep that tax money to use to pay for my own private insurance. They should not charge me one pence, by any means, tax, extra fee, whatever for NHS. Its only fair. I may in fact end up paying more overall, but it is unquestionably unacceptable that I would in effect be paying for two forms of insurance (NHS through my taxes and private), and only get to use the services of one. And there is no argument that any politician can make that can coherently defend such an action. Not considering the kind of money this 'foreigner' is paying into NHS.
Last edited by ouflak1 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

vignette

Post by vignette » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

When your private insurance cover runs out and there are always limitations on the cover for serious longterm illnesses, for example cancer, what are you going to do? Leave the UK ?

Thats why an opt out doesn't seem like a viable option.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 pm

The bottom line is that the consultation document does not even mention the option of opting out of NI contributions for those who will use private care. So, you can opt out of paying 200 (or 500, or whatever they are going to charge per year) if you have "comprehensive" private insurance, but that will mean you will give up access to the NHS. It does not mean that you will stop paying NI or any other taxes.

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

The ironic thing about this policy is it is likely to end up forcing more immigrants into the NHS system.

There will be many families, like my own, that currently have private health insurance but will use the NHS for the gaps in coverage (haven't had to do this yet, but it's nice to know we can).

Now when you're faced with the costs of private insurance or paying the levy (which some Conservatives want set at thousands per year, lets hope that doesn't happen) it's going to become an EITHER OR proposition for many. So for example if my family pays the levy then it will probably add up to too much money to keep the private health insurance.
Insurance companies aren't our friends. They are out to make money and will squeeze every statistical exception into their policies they can to maximize their likely profitability. I don't mind this. It's just like any other product. You need to read the fine print and be certain that what you think you are buying is indeed what you are actually buying.
Of course they are not our friends. But in the two other countries I have lived in (Australia and The Netherlands) you pay private health insurance and get much, much more comprehensive coverage (less fine print). The problem here is that consumer advocacy is weak and as another poster mentioned the health insurance industry is very immature - the result is that based on my research it's essentially impossible to purchase a policy that covers things like pre-existing conditions, chronic conditions, and emergency treatment - all of which we will need if we are not covered by the NHS.

dandm

Post by dandm » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Apparently they are also planning to block access to organ transplantation for migrants, levy or not.

ellrobinson
Newly Registered

Re: Migrants Arriving In UK Will Face An NHS Entry Fee

Post by ellrobinson » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi, I'm a freelance journalist from Manchester covering this story for a radio piece. Looking at the story on more of a humane level and challenging the 'health tourism' claims. I'm reaching out to try and find people who have received serious treatment from the NHS.

All interviews will be anonymous!

If anyone could give me there views about this i'd be very grateful! Thanks.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:13 pm

This story has become a bit of a non-issue, for now atleast, since the idea has been dropped for the time being.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Just saw this and thought it may be useful as it is somewhat related to the original topic... Changes come into effect from April 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/migr ... ion-a-year

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... b_v1_2.pdf