ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to India after Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ric1982
Member of Standing

Travelling to India after Citizenship

Post by ric1982 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi,

I understand you can travel to india on Indian passport for three months after gaining BC. My questions are as follows , would appreciate if someone can reply.

Following is in the context of three months grace period.

- Can we use (or have to use) Indian passport during travel?
- If so;... what do we need to put on boarding card when landing in India? Indian citizen (which would be a lie or British citizen which means problem at airport!?)
- Provided we dont travel on Indian visitor visa ; ... when applying for OCI form India do we need to apply for exist visa? or is it worth getting Visitor visa (from UK) and then we dont have to apply for exit visa from India?

Thanks,

ban.s

Re: Travelling to India after Citizenship

Post by ban.s » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Your questions are not related to British citizenship and should be moved to Other Countries section
ric1982 wrote:

- If so;... what do we need to put on boarding card when landing in India? Indian citizen (which would be a lie or British citizen which means problem at airport!?)
Yes can use Indian passport but don't have to.

Though technically you have lost Indian citizenship the moment you acquired foreign citizenship but as you are allowed to use Indian passport for travel for 3 months so you can state citizenship as Indian.
ric1982 wrote: - Provided we dont travel on Indian visitor visa ; ... when applying for OCI form India do we need to apply for exist visa? or is it worth getting Visitor visa (from UK) and then we dont have to apply for exit visa from India?
If you plan to apply for OCI in India then the latter option i.e. travelling on visitor visa is always recommended. Much simple and straight forward process. and Exit permit will not be required as you'll be using same travel document for entry and exit.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: Travelling to India after Citizenship

Post by ric1982 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

ban.s wrote:Your questions are not related to British citizenship and should be moved to Other Countries section
ric1982 wrote:

Yes can use Indian passport but don't have to.

Though technically you have lost Indian citizenship the moment you acquired foreign citizenship but as you are allowed to use Indian passport for travel for 3 months so you can state citizenship as Indian.
ric1982 wrote: - Provided we dont travel on Indian visitor visa ; ... when applying for OCI form India do we need to apply for exist visa? or is it worth getting Visitor visa (from UK) and then we dont have to apply for exit visa from India?
If you plan to apply for OCI in India then the latter option i.e. travelling on visitor visa is always recommended. Much simple and straight forward process. and Exit permit will not be required as you'll be using same travel document for entry and exit.
Thanks for the reply ,

Apologies for forgetting to mention that we wish to apply for OCI from India due to long stay.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm

You cannot apply for OCI from India if you travel to India on Indian passport. Please don't ask me why, as its a long story. Please read the info about applying OCI from India and you will know why you can't do what you want to do.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:You cannot apply for OCI from India if you travel to India on Indian passport. Please don't ask me why, as its a long story. Please read the info about applying OCI from India and you will know why you can't do what you want to do.
not too keen on another long story (especially after the french immigration saga :) ) but OCI can be done in India even after travelling on an Indian passport. However citizenship renunciation in india is bit complex job and processes not properly documented/published by MHA leaving FRRO officers to apply their own interpretation and discretions. That doen't mean it can't be done.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 am

It may be possible. Maybe just like after reading Indian Highway code it seems possible for a sane person to drive in India. But in real life, to drive in India, being insane is a pre requisite. :wink:

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 am

I could not find a link to theoretical Indian Highway code, but here is a link to practical Indian Highway code.

http://www.sikhchic.com/humour/indian_highway_code

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 am

Ayyubi72 wrote:I could not find a link to theoretical Indian Highway code, but here is a link to practical Indian Highway code.

http://www.sikhchic.com/humour/indian_highway_code
Let's not hijack the topic. Driving issues are better discussed at Motoring forums but here is the official link to RULES OF THE ROAD REGULATIONS 1989. Don't try to compare with the quality of DVLA information but Indian Highway code does exist.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:41 pm

I know Indian Highway code does exist. :)