ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent ILR quer|| VAT Refund mistake

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

needilr2013
Newly Registered

Urgent ILR quer|| VAT Refund mistake

Post by needilr2013 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Form members

This is urgent as i am applying for ILR next week.

I have been working in uk ofr past 5 years on WP.

Last time i went back (in 2012) i tried my luck to get VAT refund as the item i bought was a gift for someone. I got 60 pound refund without any questions.

but now i realise it might be an issue for my ILR application. Is it ??
do UKBA does any checks with VAT?

Can some one please confirm what should i do ?

TheGreenTea

Post by TheGreenTea » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:03 pm

I don't see a bproblem.
From HMRC website:
If you live outside the EU and are working or studying in the UK

If you're working or studying in the UK, you may be able to obtain a VAT refund if you're planning to leave the EU for at least 12 months.

You must:

leave the UK for a destination outside the EU - with the goods you have bought - by the end of the third month after the month when you bought them
stay outside the EU for at least 12 months
show customs officials the goods, your receipts for them and a completed VAT refund document when you leave the EU

In all cases, you must be able to prove that you belong to one of the categories above by showing the customs official your passport, visa or other documents.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/cons ... tors.htm#1

Seeing that you have managed to claim VAT that means you satisfied HMRC requirement at that time. Whatever happened after that is not interesting to anyone.

UKBA does checks with HMRC.

needilr2013
Newly Registered

Post by needilr2013 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi TheGreenTea.

Thanks for the response.

The information from HMRC says that i need to be outside the UK for 12 months where as i was back in 30 days.

Well so now what can i do ??

TheGreenTea

Post by TheGreenTea » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:30 pm

needilr2013 wrote:Hi TheGreenTea.

Thanks for the response.

The information from HMRC says that i need to be outside the UK for 12 months where as i was back in 30 days.

Well so now what can i do ??
Again,
if the HMRC were satisfied with the evidence you showed them at the time when you got your refund - then it should not bother anybody what happened afterwards.
People do change their minds, today you thought you were leaving, tomorrow you came back.

If you are very worried call HMRC and seek advice (about your refund! don't mention ILR application)

loveworld

Post by loveworld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Before I confirm anything can you please confirm following.

when this happened , do you have any visitor who is travelling with you at that time.

Did customs officer taken your passport copy.

Which nation you fly at that time???

I know the rules thats Why I am asking you.
=========================

My Advise is only personal view it cannot be taken as substitute of solicitor or any professional .

needilr2013
Newly Registered

Post by needilr2013 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 pm

This happened in Dec 2012 to india.
No i was travelling alone.
No custom didnt take any photocopy. They just took the VAT refund form and look at my passport.

just to add to the complexity. I have a valid Visitor visa on my passport(along with work permit). In the form i did mentioned that i had work permit.