ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sharing Time and Cost saving tips

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nathan_nathan

Sharing Time and Cost saving tips

Post by nathan_nathan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Dear Friends,
Finally I have got my British Passport and want to thank all the good hearts who shared their valuable experiences.
I want to give some cost and time saving tips that I learnt from my experience.
(Admin you could make this sticky if you find it useful)

TIP 1
Choosing the Right NCS :
Most apply to their local council offices which are generally busy-wait time is 3 to 4 weeks and they ask you to pay the fee in advance and wont pay the money in case you don't make it for any reasons without advance notice (usually 5 working days).

Alternative : The registrar offices are generally not so busy and provide an appointment in 3 or 4 days and dont insist on cash advance.

In the NCS page of the UKBA website, there is a link for Greater London and England. Click on the England Page and look for the nearest place to you.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... s_england/

For example, I could get an appointment at Colchester in 3 days.

TIP 2 :
Referee:
Many think the GPs is good for their professional refree.
GPs (Doctors) are NOT in the list of professional people suggested by home office. I heard some GPs charge upto 35 pounds for each signature.
See if you can find an alternative it is better.
Check this link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... er6/annexa

TIP 3:
Ceremony:
Private or Public Ceremony
Private Ceremonies cost you money. Cost varies(Redbridge- 55 pounds, some others -75) but can be done immediately. So if you are in a hurry, (for example :need a passport for jobs requiring a British passport ), you can do it.

TIP 4 :
Passport :
Apply through Post office Check and send service corrects small mistakes that we make. Costs 8.75.
When it comes to Interview, note that London Victoria is very busy .But Luton usually has slots in one or two days and it is only 25 minutes from St Pancras Internationational (50 mins from King's cross).

Make sure you Passport counter signatory is a professional person approved by UKBA and dont waste another 35 pounds on your GP.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

As you can see there are no GPs in that list.

Thanks
Regards
Nathan
Last edited by nathan_nathan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ban.s

Re: Sharing Time and Cost saving tips

Post by ban.s » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:24 pm

nathan_nathan wrote:
TIP 2 :
Referee:
Many think the GPs is good for their professional refree.
GPs (Doctors) are NOT in the list of professional people suggested by home office.
GP and medical doctors are accepted as referee even though they are not in the list

also see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=68245

nathan_nathan

Post by nathan_nathan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Ban.S,
Thanks for your reply.
The thread's objective is to reduce cost and/or time. GPs dont sign for free and they are not 'officially' in the list. Even though people claim that they have got their approvals by using doctors as refrees why take a risk ? It is better to be safe than sorry ( the citizenship fee is 874 pounds )

Regards
Nathan

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:36 pm

nathan_nathan

TIP 3:
Ceremony:
Private Ceremonies cost you 55 pounds extra but can be done immediately. So if you are in a hurry, you can do it.
Not entirely true. It varies in cost from council to council for private ceremonies. Some councils charge in excess of £100. So shop around.

Anyway, good job Nathan and thank you!

boloney

Post by boloney » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:39 am

RoyalFlush wrote:
nathan_nathan

TIP 3:
Ceremony:
Private Ceremonies cost you 55 pounds extra but can be done immediately. So if you are in a hurry, you can do it.
Not entirely true. It varies in cost from council to council for private ceremonies. Some councils charge in excess of £100. So shop around.

Anyway, good job Nathan and thank you!
Waltham Forest charge £75, but in case of joint application there is only one fee.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:11 am

Using passport check and send for first British passport is a waste of time and money.

nathan_nathan

Post by nathan_nathan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks Ayyubi, Boloney, Royalflush for your inputs.