ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a Telephone connection/ Cable Internet connection

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ajay Kumar Singh

Getting a Telephone connection/ Cable Internet connection

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Thought of taking a telephone connection to get a broadband net access, but didn't realize that i need to have a bank account to get one.

Any way still trying to get a Cable net connection if possible.. i dunno whether they also need bank account or not..

Any help ?

dhilipki
Newly Registered

Post by dhilipki » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:08 am

Ajay,

For most of these, you unfortunately will need a bank account in the UK. Because most of the services in UK need a debit card/bank account to start with. But if you have a international credit card you can try using that to set-up these accounts.

BTW, if you haven't already done so, pl do get an NI. I guess you can get an NI from the local council office even if you dont' have a job.

Dhilip

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:28 am

Is it possible to get NI from councli ?
could you explain more ?

Thanks
Tech

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:37 am

You should be able to apply for your NI number if you can show that you have the permission to work i.e WP or HSMP, and that you are actively looking for work., even if you have not found a job. i believe they will even accept rejection letters from companies and maybe the agencies can help you out on this, maybe they can provide you with some letter to show this.

dhilipki
Newly Registered

NI

Post by dhilipki » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:43 am

tech,

As f2k says, you should be able to get an NI as long as you have a valid WP or any other employment visa, including HSMP. You do not necessarily have to be employed to get an NI. Having an NI helps in many ways including employment, since employers expect you to have an NI to be able to deduct the insurance amount from your salary and directly pay it to the NI account.

Regards, Dhilip

bashir2003
Newly Registered

Post by bashir2003 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:55 pm

Ajay, called the BT guys on free number and inform them of your new residence, they will immediately give you tel connection, ask them to send instant bill for the installation charges etc.

the tel bill will be good proof for you , usually the banks takes into consideration tel bill,however they might make fuss stating it is new,, but it does work sometime.

Try it,
last but not the least, BT have no big fuss in giving you landline..
Regards

gunjans

Post by gunjans » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:15 pm

can somebd tell me wat is "NI" :?