ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

*UKBA Consultations on NHS levy and tenancy*

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

luckyjinx

*UKBA Consultations on NHS levy and tenancy*

Post by luckyjinx » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:19 pm

There are two important consultations open for public response to the UKBA: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... ultations/

1) "Tackling illegal immigration in privately rented accommodation This consultation seeks views on the proposed requirement on landlords to conduct immigration checks on tenants."

2) "Migrant access to health services in the UK A consultation on ensuring that migrants contribute fairly to the costs of their healthcare."

There is an online survey for each topic to fill in. Please take the time to do this as these proposals will affect not only those who wish to come in future but also migrants already here in the UK (those who have not yet reached permanent residency, including people on family visas).

The government document which the health proposal is based on can be found here if you are curious as to how you could be affected: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... cument.pdf

barabashka

Post by barabashka » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 pm

To be honest I consider this proposal to be a blunt discrimination.
It makes no sense to deduct the same taxes from foreign workers, but to charge them additional fee to access NHS, especially people that are already in the UK and pay their taxes to this country for years.

In fact, they want to charge us twice (since a proportion of our taxes already went to NHS).
I don't know about others, but I have no intention to allow taking advantge of me. If this is introduced and my employer wants to pay for me - then OK. If not, I prefer to leave but not to be humiliated by such discrimination.

This is not about money (the fee is small) - this is a fundamental principle of not accepting discrimination.

luckyjinx

Post by luckyjinx » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm

barabashka wrote:To be honest I consider this proposal to be a blunt discrimination.
It makes no sense to deduct the same taxes from foreign workers, but to charge them additional fee to access NHS, especially people that are already in the UK and pay their taxes to this country for years.

In fact, they want to charge us twice (since a proportion of our taxes already went to NHS).
Completely agree with this - it truly is the principle of the thing. I've been paying taxes in the UK since early 2010. I'm up for permanent residency in early 2015, having married a British citizen. Why should I pay £200 or even £1 more for using the NHS, which I only have ever used when actually NEEDED (not for a sniffly nose or a little cough), when I've already paid my full and fair share of taxes?

That's part of why it's important we get the word out about these surveys and make sure that we are heard. We may not be able to vote, but we don't have to take this laying down.

dandm

Post by dandm » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Unfortunately it is part of a wider issue with the Conservatives trying to wrest the anti-immigration mantle from UKIP.

Immigrants have become a major target with the government fueling the flames.

Articles like this are very worrying:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -door.html

As for the health reforms, well my family contributed over £70,000 in tax and NI last year - yet we are not talked about as if we are fellow taxpayers by the general public. If you believe these articles all immigrants are freeloaders.

letmec2006

Post by letmec2006 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 pm

here u go

[url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23156403

Another UKIP lead tory policy.. What I can do is stop paying my NI contribuition which goes for NHS and pay my £200, which is much cheaper or even better to take private insurance and get treated properly in private health care and save a lot of money!!!
Last edited by letmec2006 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbylad
Newly Registered

Post by bobbylad » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 am

Listening to the public debate on it is truly depressing, people seem to think the government wants to charge visitors and overstayers. When you tell people its about legal tax paying migrants their opinion usually shifts against it but thats the problem, most people do not think that is the purpose.

Its all dog whistle beloved, say something which sounds tough to appeal to those who simply do not like foreigners. In practice however it will just affect people who already contribute to Britain.

letmec2006

Post by letmec2006 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:48 pm

somebody said in one of the comments this way...

"Those Bloody Foreigners pinching our Health Service"
"Those Bloody Old People Living too long "
"Those Bloody Smokers and Drinkers"
"Those Bloody Social Layabouts "

I can only conclude that my fellow English are the most dearly beloved xenophobic,moaning people in the world at present, who blame everyone and everything , rather than look at themselves, and the corrupt Muppet's we vote In to power!!!
Ha!!! Ha!!! how true with the current policy of this govt.