ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HOUSING BENEFIT APPLICATION QUESTION

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maya2812
Newly Registered

HOUSING BENEFIT APPLICATION QUESTION

Post by maya2812 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm

I got my ILR a month ago and would like to apply for housing benefit. I work full time but have a child in full time nursery. I have done the online housing benefit calculator for Croyon council and it seems i can get about £50 per week in housing benefit (and i pay the rest) - every little helps i guess.

My question is how long does the whole application process take as i will be moving to a 2 bed flat which will be more expensive and the rent would be expensive for me to pay on my own. I read that i would have to provide an "evidence checklist" once the application has been made. Does anyone know what evidence i will need to give (probably tenancy agreement is one of them).

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:14 pm

Do you have a partner? If so, what s their immigration status?

For other details you'll have to contact the relevant local authority.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

maya2812
Newly Registered

Post by maya2812 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:08 am

Dear Amber.
I do not have a partner.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:11 am

Then you need to ask Croydon council the other questions.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

shuttlespy

Post by shuttlespy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am

D4109125 wrote:Then you need to ask Croydon council the other questions.
Hi Amber

Hope you are well.

We recently received our ILR and at the moment we live in a one bed flat, I will apply for housing benefit soon. Now if in future lets say two months time I move to a two bedroom flat then will my housing benefit be raised as moving to a two bed flat on my own will be impossible. we are a couple with two children hence the reason we are planning for a bigger home.

thanks
So many things to achieve and so little time....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 am

shuttlespy wrote:
Hi Amber

Hope you are well.

We recently received our ILR and at the moment we live in a one bed flat, I will apply for housing benefit soon. Now if in future lets say two months time I move to a two bedroom flat then will my housing benefit be raised as moving to a two bed flat on my own will be impossible. we are a couple with two children hence the reason we are planning for a bigger home.

thanks
You will be paid LHA at the rate determined by the number of bedrooms you are entitled to. See here (click) to check.

shuttlespy

Post by shuttlespy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 am

D4109125 wrote:
shuttlespy wrote:
Hi Amber

Hope you are well.

thanks
You will be paid LHA at the rate determined by the number of bedrooms you are entitled to. See here (click) to check.
Can I ask you one more question?? :)

Now I m working as a free lancer since a couple of months and getting a side income which is not declared anywhere.

Now when I fill in the forms for housing benefit should I declare this? Also I m not sure if I will pay income tax on it because I will not meet the threshold.

And if I dont declare this income, will this be a problem?

Please advise
So many things to achieve and so little time....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:36 am

shuttlespy wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
shuttlespy wrote:
Hi Amber

Hope you are well.

thanks
Can I ask you one more question?? :)

Now I m working as a free lancer since a couple of months and getting a side income which is not declared anywhere.

Now when I fill in the forms for housing benefit should I declare this? Also I m not sure if I will pay income tax on it because I will not meet the threshold.

And if I dont declare this income, will this be a problem?

Please advise
You must declare all income, failure to do so may result in benefit fraud and prosecution. This includes HMRC for tax credits too.