ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening a bank account in London

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ajay Kumar Singh

Opening a bank account in London

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:25 pm

So here i am ;)
Thought of trying to open a bank account with some High Street Banks just to cross check that it's really an impossible to open a bank account in UK.

First was HSBC: They needed job offer letter, though they accepted my Tenancy Agreement as proff of address.

Second Abbay or some similar name:
They needed one yr of UK residence

Third was (forgot name) Nationwide or something:
Was pissed off as i don't have an address proof, they didn't accpet my Tenancy agreement as address proof and also they said my VISA is valid till March so it's again a problem.

Well i know this issue has been discussed here many times but any help will really help me out.

I'll search this board for prev. posts regarding this.

rckybhardwaj

Post by rckybhardwaj » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Dear Ajay,
Well I know that opening a bank account here in UK is very difficult.
The first thing you may do is have a tenancy agreement. Then as the bank asks you about the job offer, which is not an easy way to produce as you land in this country, I have an advise to be made on that.
Get registered with a recruitment agency that does staffing for some temporary type of work, may be anywhere in a warehouse.
Work there for sometime, get a decent income from the agency in the form of a cheque or draft which you can withdraw from a bank.
Then go to the bank and say, I am working here and have to open a basic savings account. Take all the employment papers with you.
I think this should help you open an account. Otherwise I know its a real nightmare to open an account over here in UK without a job offer.
And dont take any shit from the bank, like you have to be resident here for a year and so.
Let me know.
Good Luck

tyrex2000
Newly Registered

Try NatWest

Post by tyrex2000 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:47 am

Try NatWest (National Westminster Bank)

I had similar problem on a student visa few years back. Barclays even asked me to deposit 2000 pounds to open an account, just too much for me then.

Finally, NatWest not only opened a student account for me (with 0 minimum balance), no service charge but also offered my 35 pounds cash gift.

Always keep in mind, UK can be weird, if you don't fall into "their kind" of customer, they won't care but there will always be someone wanting more biz and won't mind taking you on. Just need to find 'em.

Let us know how it goes.....

ChandraSP

Post by ChandraSP » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:07 am

Ajay,

I noted down the below suggestions from the other members. Let's try them..

Regards
Puti

There is very easy thing you can do. Just ask BT to include your name in the phone bill of the friend you are staying with and to send you a copy of the bill with both names. It usually takes no more than 5 working days for the new bill to arrive - and that will solve all your problems with the banks

When I was doing this I had a small problem - the first time I requested such operation from BT, the operator I spoke with obviously was not aware of what can and can not be done with my bill as she was claiming that I cannot do that. The same day I called them again and spoke with a different person who sorted this for me for 2 minutes. I hope you will not have the same experience but in case you do just try different person

Cheers

D

Try Lloyds TSB WorldWideService
http://www.lloydstsb-wws.com

Same HSBC i have opened without living here for 3 months. Just register yourself by phone with HSBC for new account. Phone No is 08457404404. They will ask your details and tell them u need only basic bank account. ( it is without credit facilities) also tell them you need to transfer money from ur home country to this account immediately.

In UK getting these basic facility like bank, NI no. one need to be HIGHLY SKILLFUL!!!!!!!!!! and try same thing different time with different people and u will get different answers. Here people look at new comers as Criminals ONLY. Also when u so truthful, things won't work here. Because here people live with more criminals than our home country. ( please others not to take my opinion seriously, it is purely my opinion about UK and not to hurt anybody)

So try with out getting frustration...

regards,

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:06 am

I went through similar experience visting HSBC, Natwest etc. I finally went to the London branch of a bank of my own country, Bank of Baroda. They were very co-operative and helped me to open a bank account with cheque book and debit card valid on any ATM. This more than serves the purpose for depositing wage cheques and withdrawal. I found them more helpful and co-operative than the English Banks.

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:14 pm

Tx all,
I have tried everything what you people suggested. Excpet trying to get an odd job which is still not in my mind.

Just going to check LlyodsTSB World Wide Services and Bank Of Baroda as sugested by Rog. See what will happen.

It seems 2 things are required A proof address and job Offer if u have them you get it easily.

Ajay

JayGee

Post by JayGee » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:26 pm

Ajay - thanks man - you are keeping us posted - well done.

:D :D :D
Good luck on the back account.

Boom05

Post by Boom05 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:51 pm

Ajay check ur PM :wink:
Its easy to follow the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone !

bashir2003
Newly Registered

Post by bashir2003 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:51 pm

Ajay, try halifax ,, my friend here on visit visa got his account opened.

By the way i am here from last 4 months, initally i was also frustrated with this bank account stuff, I got on work the next day of my arrival.

Although, i got my personal account open, but now i am struggling to open my business account, it is undergoing postmortem for last 45 days and till today it is not thru.. Wait till monday to get the feedback from bank. :cry:

Regards
Bashir.