ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query about qualifying period for Spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Query about qualifying period for Spouse

Post by lotstoread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am

Hi All,

Both myself and my wife were granted ILR in October 2012. I believe I will be eligible to apply for naturalisation as BC on or after October 2013?

My wife has been in uk since 2006 (we were not married at that time). She went to india in December 2007 and returned in March 2009 on my dependent visa (as we got married in india). My question is:

1) Will she be eligible to apply for naturalisation as BC in october 2012 along with me? (as she was away from the country for more than a year)
2) If not, then when will she be eligible?
3) If she is not eligible, then can I wait till her eligibility so that we can both apply at the same time? (reduced fee and less paperwork)
4) Can we apply any time after 1st year or is there a rule in place that we should apply right after 1st year of ILR.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:27 am

Have you read the FAQ before posting?

See Q1 & Q2 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

lotstoread
Newly Registered

Post by lotstoread » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 am

Jambo wrote:Have you read the FAQ before posting?

See Q1 & Q2 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.
Thanks Jambo for the reply..sorry for being a time waster, completly missed reading faq's.

However can u please advise me on point 3? i.e can i wait for her 5 year residential period and apply together or do i have to apply after 1 year of ILR?

Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:32 am

lotstoread wrote:However can u please advise me on point 3? i.e can i wait for her 5 year residential period and apply together or do i have to apply after 1 year of ILR?
Once you are eligible you can apply any time you wish (as long as you meet the requirements), whether it's 1 year after ILR or 20 years down the line.

The saving in fees in not much (£200) and also not much in paperwork so I'm not sure it is worth waiting. Have your wife visited the UK at all in 2008? She might be able to apply together with you in 2013 if she visited the UK in 2008 (i.e. 5 years before applying). If not, she can apply separately once you become BC.