ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query regarding child passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

win99

Query regarding child passport

Post by win99 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello guys,

I need your suggestions regarding my newborn passport.

i would like to apply for a passport for my child born in uk ( April 2013)

Both the parents are settled (ILR) in uk (jan 2013)

option 1) if i want to apply for a Indian passport what are the documents i need to submit.Please let me know below are correct

1)birth certificate from uk
2)both the parents passport with biometric cards to show them at the counter
3) letter from my wife giving my full authority to collect the passport
4)photos
5) fees 36 GBP
6)application form

let me know if i need to carry anything else and once i get the passport i have to apply for a visa for my child.

Do i need to book an appointment with ukba to do this.?
Do we have a one day process for this (like ILR).?

Option 2) if i want to apply for a British passport i might have to go to post office to apply with below things (let me know if below list is correct.

1)birth certificate
2)fees
3)photos
4)application form

and then do i need to apply for a visa (1 year or 5 years) in vfs(london).?

how many days it will take to get visa stamped on passport.?

Since my child need to travel to india soon which process is the fastest one.?

ban.s

Re: Query regarding child passport

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm

win99 wrote:... once i get the passport i have to apply for a visa for my child.

Do i need to book an appointment with ukba to do this.?
Do we have a one day process for this (like ILR).?
The child is British by birth, so no visa will be issued, but if you wish to retain Child's indian citizenship, then you can apply for COE Right of Abode.

Alternately, option 2 will be quicker. You'll get visa in couple od days if applied in person at London VFS.

win99

Post by win99 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply ban.s

If i want to get indian passport the documents which i have mentioned are enough or do i need to carry anything else.?

COE Right of Abode is it a document or visa (stamp on passport).

Is COE Right of Abode called as certificate of entitlement.? if so to get the certificate of entitlement is below documents are enough to apply.? (I have got below list from ukba site but i am not sure)

(your full birth certificate, showing your parents' details; and
evidence of either parent's British citizenship or settled status at the time of your birth, such as a passport describing them as a British citizen or showing that they had indefinite leave to remain at the time of your birth; and
your parents' marriage certificate, if you are claiming through your father)

If I get british passport is my kid eligible to get 5 years visa (long term multiple visit to india) from VFS.?

Thanks for your time

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

win99 wrote: If i want to get indian passport the documents which i have mentioned are enough or do i need to carry anything else.?
Looks fine to me
win99 wrote: COE Right of Abode is it a document or visa (stamp on passport).
Vignette on passport.
win99 wrote: Is COE Right of Abode called as certificate of entitlement.?
Yes
win99 wrote: if so to get the certificate of entitlement is below documents are enough to apply.? (I have got below list from ukba site but i am not sure)
(your full birth certificate, showing your parents' details; and
evidence of either parent's British citizenship or settled status at the time of your birth, such as a passport describing them as a British citizen or showing that they had indefinite leave to remain at the time of your birth; and
your parents' marriage certificate, if you are claiming through your father)
That's correct.
win99 wrote: If I get british passport is my kid eligible to get 5 years visa (long term multiple visit to india) from VFS.?
Yes, should be fine.

win99

Post by win99 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks a million ban.s

For applying a indian passport do I need to register my child birth with consular section of Indian high commission.?

I found below from hcilondon website. Please correct me if I am wrong.

("First Passport for Children born in the UK

Child's name cannot be entered in parents' Passport any longer. A new Passport is issued to the Child. For a child to be given an Indian Passport, the birth must be registered with the Consular Section of the High Commission within one year of birth. Please see the link counslateservice.html for details.")

I have got the answer for above question as i dont need to register and i can directly apply for passport.

One final question :- After getting british passport for my child can i apply OCI/PIO card only for my child..? (parents both had ILR only )

win99

suggestion please

Post by win99 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Can somebody please help me on this.?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:00 pm

The child is not eligible for OCI until the parents have theirs. The child can can apply for PIO.

drpbalaji1960

query regarding child passport

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 pm

is it possible to tell me the advantages of PIO card please. any one having experience in applying for pio card in india.

Thanks

Balaji

win99

Got it from hcilondon

Post by win99 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi drpbalaji1960, hope it helps you

Benefits available to a PIO Card Holder

No visa required for visiting India during the period of validity of PIO Card.
Exemption from the requirement of registration if stay in India does not exceed 6 months. Should the continuous stay exceed six months, registration will be required within 30 days of the expiry of six months with the concerned Foreigners Registration Officer (FRRO). (Click Here For Registration Checklist)
Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields.
All facilities in the matter of acquisition, holding, transfer and disposal of immovable properties in India except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties.
Facilities available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including medical colleges, engineering colleges, Institutes of Technology, Institutes of Management etc. under the general categories.
Facilities available under the various housing schemes of LIC, State Governments and other Government agencies.
Applicant already in India on Long-Term Visa (more than one year) should make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities:

DELHI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer, Hans Bhawan, I.P. Estate,
New Delhi 110 002.
Tel: 91-11-331 9489 Fax: 91-11-375 5183

drpbalaji1960

Post by drpbalaji1960 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 am

Thanks very much for ur information

Balaji

ramu123

Post by ramu123 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 am

I am similar situation, me being British and I would like to apply Indian passport for my UK born child.
I went to High Comission with all the documentation listed on their site and forums. However, to my surprise they asked me for NOC from UKBA saying that the child has not acquired British Citizenship.
I told them they may not issue this as the Child is British by birth. But they insisted on having that certificate and gave me a copy of some others as an example. So I need to visit High commission again with that certificate. This is so frustrating.
Please can somebody advise if you faced similar situation and got this certificate? Will UKBA issue this given that by son is already British by birth (he doesn't have a UK passport)
Many thanks.

win99

Passport application query

Post by win99 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Thanks ban.s for replying and sorry to bother since i have got couple of more questions while filling the application. I have search most of the threads in this forrum but i haven't found the correct info.

Within the application form at section 4 it sates as below

"If both parents were born after 31 Dec 1982, or were both born outside the UK,we also need the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of marriage of your grandparents (or details of your parents claim to British nationality)"

do i need to give my grand parents details on separate sheet or can i leave it blank.?

2)Do i need to send both the parents original passports including bio metric cards with the application and marriage certificate also.?

4)Do i need to get the countersignature from a British citizen .?

Thanks in advance

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:00 pm

1. Grandparents details not required in this case

2. Either mother's passport + BRP or Father's passport + BRP + marriage certificate

3. Yes, countersignatory needs to be British or Irish passport holder.

Also read the passport application guide booklet.

win99

Thanks

Post by win99 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 am

Thank you very much ban.s. I have sent the application yesterday.

win99

Passport received

Post by win99 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello All,

Today i have got the British passport for my child . Timelines below for your reference

Date of application : 18/07/2013

Sent via post office check and send service

Passport received - 01/08/2013

Once again thank you very much to ban.s for helping me to get this done in time.

Now i am in progress of applying PIO card for my child.

Thanks

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm

You welcome and good luck for PIO.