ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can i switch from psw to tier4 asking expert/ Guru help pls

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ajek01

can i switch from psw to tier4 asking expert/ Guru help pls

Post by ajek01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:19 am

Hi All

I would like to know if I can still switch from psw (my current visa) to tier 4 please?

Before I switched into psw I was on student visa for 7 years and 2 months and finished my degree (oxford brookes acca route)

My psw finishes in Dec13 and I am eligible for ilr in August 14 and therfore I need another 8 months from Dec13 to be eligible for ilr.

My question is:

Would I be able to enrol for a year long Masters degree from any university? Obviously this will mean a total of 8 years and 2 months on student visa and I will not get a cos.

BUT

Can I enrol for a year long course in this Sep13 and use my psw time up to Dec13? I can then apply for tier 4 visa for 8 months to complete my study which will also mean I am not exceeding 8 years on tier 4.

Would really appreciate your your expert comment on this.

Kindest regards

ahmad0044
Newly Registered

Re: can i switch from psw to tier4 asking expert/ Guru help

Post by ahmad0044 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 am

Yes, you can use your PSW visa to study the first 2 months of your course ( If university HEI is willing to accept you when such a short visa left).

Please be advised you can only commence a course which is listed in Annex 6 page 76 as if the course you will choose which is not listed in that list will result in straight refusal.

I understand you have spend already 7 years 2 months on student visa so the only option for you is to do Mphil or equivalent level.

Hope this would help!
ajek01 wrote:Hi All

I would like to know if I can still switch from psw (my current visa) to tier 4 please?

Before I switched into psw I was on student visa for 7 years and 2 months and finished my degree (oxford brookes acca route)

My psw finishes in Dec13 and I am eligible for ilr in August 14 and therfore I need another 8 months from Dec13 to be eligible for ilr.

My question is:

Would I be able to enrol for a year long Masters degree from any university? Obviously this will mean a total of 8 years and 2 months on student visa and I will not get a cos.

BUT

Can I enrol for a year long course in this Sep13 and use my psw time up to Dec13? I can then apply for tier 4 visa for 8 months to complete my study which will also mean I am not exceeding 8 years on tier 4.

Would really appreciate your your expert comment on this.

Kindest regards

ajek01

Post by ajek01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Ahmad0044

Thanks for your reply

I have not yet completed my ACCA and thinking of doing a masters in Finance

Would this be possible please?

Kind regards

EHWLC
Newly Registered

Post by EHWLC » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

ajek01 wrote:Hi Ahmad0044

Thanks for your reply

Kind regards
Hi ajek01,

If you have not finished your ACCA, what is your PSW based on? If you do not have academic progression, it is very unlikely that you will get admission for a Master's. Plus, ACCA is already level 7. A Master's degree is of the same course level.

ahmad0044
Newly Registered

Post by ahmad0044 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Well, As i explained in my earlier reply; you can only start a course if it is listed in annex 6 ( As you have already exceeded the 5 years limit).

Master of Finance is not listed in annex 6 so you can not extend your stay as a tier 4 migrant on this particular course however, if you wish to continue your study you can go for Mphil by spending 2 months on PSW and 8 months on Tier 4 visa making 10 years of legal residence.

The trouble you will probably face is getting admission in Mphil. So if you want to continue as a Tier 4 please get an admission as soon as possible but make sure you also need ATAS certificate as if you don't get it before starting a course UKBA will refuse your extension.

Hope this will help!
ajek01 wrote:Hi Ahmad0044

Thanks for your reply

Kind regards

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 pm

ahmad0044 wrote: if you wish to continue your study you can go for Mphil by spending 2 months on PSW and 8 months on Tier 4 visa making 10 years of legal residence.
ajek01 wrote: I have not yet completed my ACCA and thinking of doing a masters in Finance

For Mphil course requires a fully completed Master degree most preferably in similar discipline and usually be considered as the 1st phase of PHD. But it is difficult that any university will enrol a student for only 8 months despite knowing the student study limit.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

ajek01

Post by ajek01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks Ahmad0044

Just trying to assess the risk factor here, would highly appreciate your kind reply

If I do get an ATAS certificate before enrolling for mphil in an university, would this secure my tier 4 app extension in Dec13, considering the following situation:

I was previously studying acca (masters level course) for many years and have not yet finished.

What is the chance of UKBA refusing my tier 4 visa saying the following:

1. That I have not finished ACCA (masters) and yet doing mphil?

2. I did not have satosfactory academic progression.

All I am trying to assess here is if tier 4 is too risky given the situatikn then I shall try other immigration route.

Again, would really appreciate your expert opinion into this.

Kindest regards

ahmad0044
Newly Registered

Post by ahmad0044 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:17 am

First of all, ATAS certificate is one of the document you would need before applying an extension. It will not guarantee you that you will get a visa but not supplying with your application means refusal.

You will get ATAS certificate if any University can give you offer letter. It takes around 5-20 working days to get the certificate and it is free of charge.

UKBA is not there to assess your acdemic progression. It is university Job. If University believes that you meet the requirement of the course they are offering you + you are capable of doing the course. They will write a statement in you CAS, why they have issued you a CAS. It could be because it will add knowledge to your previous education.

Now the most important question, How will you get admission in the university as they would require you to have at least some sort of degree preferably at level 7. So you need to find a degree or level 7 qualification completed before getting an admission or find a uni which is happy to give you CAS.

Once you have got CAS, Banks statement, ATAS; There is very little UKBA can do to refuse your application. So Tier 4 is always less risky (In- country application).

In case if you don't get admission, Then you would have to seek other route most probably Tier 1 Entrepreneur.

Tier 4 Visa = very little chance of refusal + same day decision ( So tension release)

Tier 1 Entrepreneur = at least 6 months initial application + very tricky visa to get in my experience as they can come with any thing and if you fail to win appeal then you won't be able to complete your 10 year legal stay eventhough you have stayed in the UK more 10 years waiting for the appeal decision.

ajek01 wrote:Thanks Ahmad0044

Just trying to assess the risk factor here, would highly appreciate your kind reply

If I do get an ATAS certificate before enrolling for mphil in an university, would this secure my tier 4 app extension in Dec13, considering the following situation:

I was previously studying acca (masters level course) for many years and have not yet finished.

What is the chance of UKBA refusing my tier 4 visa saying the following:

1. That I have not finished ACCA (masters) and yet doing mphil?

2. I did not have satosfactory academic progression.

All I am trying to assess here is if tier 4 is too risky given the situatikn then I shall try other immigration route.

Again, would really appreciate your expert opinion into this.

Kindest regards

ajek01

Post by ajek01 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 am

ahmad0044 wrote:
Tier 1 Entrepreneur = at least 6 months initial application + very tricky visa to get in my experience as they can come with any thing and if you fail to win appeal then you won't be able to complete your 10 year legal stay eventhough you have stayed in the UK more 10 years waiting for the appeal decision.

Thanks for your input both Ahmad0044 and Sheraz7

Is there a reference to the above statement please, because I always thought if there is an appeal in process and if during that time, somone complete 10 years, he is eligible for ilr.

Thank you
Kind regards

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:14 am

ajek01 wrote:
ahmad0044 wrote:

Thanks for your input both Ahmad0044 and Sheraz7

Is there a reference to the above statement please, because I always thought if there is an appeal in process and if during that time, somone complete 10 years, he is eligible for ilr.

Thank you
Kind regards
The above mentioned statement is incorrect because regardless of the time a valid in time application consume time on processing is actually protected under section 3C and even on rejection if the appeal is being lodged in timely then that appeal period is also protected under Section 3C. And section 3C/3D both certainly counts towards 10 years long residence - ILR application. However, if the appeal is still in progress and applicant completes its 10 years then the applicant can vary its application to ILR.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

ajek01

Post by ajek01 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 am

Thanks Guru,

Very useful information

Kind regards

shakeelburki

hi

Post by shakeelburki » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 am

[quote="ahmad0044"]Well, As i explained in my earlier reply; you can only start a course if it is listed in annex 6 ( As you have already exceeded the 5 years limit).

Master of Finance is not listed in annex 6 so you can not extend your stay as a tier 4 migrant on this particular course however, if you wish to continue your study you can go for Mphil by spending 2 months on PSW and 8 months on Tier 4 visa making 10 years of legal residence.

The trouble you will probably face is getting admission in Mphil. So if you want to continue as a Tier 4 please get an admission as soon as possible but make sure you also need ATAS certificate as if you don't get it before starting a course UKBA will refuse your extension.

Hope this will help!

[quote="ajek01"]Hi Ahmad0044

Thanks for your reply

i just wana know that can i extend my student visa again.i came to UK in 2004 done MBA in year 2011 and MA in business management from leeds university.i got PSW visa and its going to expire in oct 2013.Am i able to extend my visa as student kindly help me out many thanks

regards