ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR -absences from the UK -not annual leave or work related

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nickbb
Newly Registered

ILR -absences from the UK -not annual leave or work related

Post by nickbb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi

I'm currently on the UK Ancestry visa.
My 5 years is almost up and I'm applying for ILR, but I took a 3 month holiday from work and the UK, to travel abroad.
At the time my work granted me leave without pay and I never left their employment. Will this count as a break in my continuous 5 years?
The UKBA advisor's on the phone line tell me conflicting information, but suggest it might be fine.
Does anyone have any advise?
Nick

Tats

Post by Tats » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Ancestry Visa has no "Continuous work requirement". Even if you are not working when you apply for ILR, you should be given if you have worked for a major part of your stay in the 5 years and still intend to work.

What I don't know is if your 3 months abroad meant you were away from the UK for more than 90 days at a stretch. The rules frown at that and not sure if it has changed.

mealos

Post by mealos » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Tats, could you clarify that 3 months span please? As Nickbb explained there is a 90 days rule in a single trip (excluding the departure and arrival day as you most probably knew already).

I was away for 91 days cos on the 90th day I couldn't turn back due to illness and postponed the ticket for 1 day. I was able to prove all these with Dr. note, both original and postponed tickets, airport transfer advance tickets etc.

90 days rule basically concerns about the continuity of residence , therefore this is something immigration officers care a lot sometimes. There were mates here who had been kept waiting for 6-7 months for decision due to 92 days absence. It's good to pay attention and be prepared for further questions when you apply.