ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Resident card query - what are my options

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chursy

Resident card query - what are my options

Post by chursy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

Hi all

My wife has been granted a resident card for 5 years. However I am planning to relocate to saudi and work with an employer there. Would like to keep my family based in uk. I understand although my wife can stay in uk on the visa for 5 years but given i won't be on uk hence not exercising treaty rights .

What are my options can someone please advise ? I would like my family to be based in uk and I can do the travelling if needs to be. I am a British national and so is my daughter.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Yours is a little complicated being a British national. Did you use the Singh route?

In general, an EU national can be absent for up to six months without affecting residence.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:59 pm

This is a very interesting question! The law is a bit unclear.

How much time will you be spending in the UK and how much in Saudi? How long is the employment going to last?

sublime688

exercising treaty rights

Post by sublime688 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 pm

If you are not living and working or exercising treaty rights in any of the other ways, how then can your family live in the UK on the basis of their relationship to you as an EU citizen?

But the other question that some others may know the answer to is, because you are British Citizen, after using the Surinder Singh route, are you required as a British Citizen to still have to be exercising treaty rights in your own home country? If you don't have to, then the presumption is that your spouse's residence card would continue to be valid so long as you keep your primary home in the UK? just a thought!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 pm

This OP seem to have several status in the UK.

A spouse on a Spouse Visa, who is due for ILR in 2014, a British Citizen whose spouse has been issued a 5 years residence card.

This cannot be right. In the absence of credible case, it is difficult to give a straightforward answer.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

chursy

Post by chursy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks all. Let me add some clarity to this. I did came through the surinder route. I am not sure how long the job will be as its a permanent job, it's well paid hence I can afford to keep my family in the uk. There is a credible case as I received the resident card for my wife in merely 2 months.

I will be looking to stay out of the country more then 6 months but will be travelling back n fourth but a permanent home in uk. . The only difference being that at the time if the resident card application my employer will be from saudi n not local in uk. Given that I am a British national do I have to exercise the treaty rights?

Can someone please add clarity?
Last edited by chursy on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

chursy

Post by chursy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:53 am

Obie wrote:This OP seem to have several status in the UK.

A spouse on a Spouse Visa, who is due for ILR in 2014, a British Citizen whose spouse has been issued a 5 years residence card.

This cannot be right. In the absence of credible case, it is difficult to give a straightforward answer.
Not sure what your problem here is I may have asked a few questions on behalf of my friends so big deal. Have you not looked at the majority of posts!!.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:58 am

It's confusing when you did not previously state that you were asking questions on behalf of a friend.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chursy

Post by chursy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:59 am

vinny wrote:It's confusing when you did not previously state that you were asking questions on behalf of a friend.
Nothing confusing about it just address if you want to, to the question ablve rather then posting links of posts which I may have asked previously, getting confused and confusing people

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:07 am

@OP, read through directive 2004/38/ec. Pay particular attention to the requirements of residence documentation for non-EU family members and especially that pertaining to permanent residence. Ask yourself how your extended absence from the UK would allow family members to continue living in the UK? See also retained rights of residence and check if any of the circumstances might apply to your spouse.

Having done that, if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

chursy

Post by chursy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:26 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:@OP, read through directive 2004/38/ec. Pay particular attention to the requirements of residence documentation for non-EU family members and especially that pertaining to permanent residence. Ask yourself how your extended absence from the UK would allow family members to continue living in the UK? See also retained rights of residence and check if any of the circumstances might apply to your spouse.

Having done that, if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

That's exactly what my question is. What are my options in this respect. I won't be exercising treaty right but then I am a citizen so is there a clause that may perhaps help me in this situation ?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:54 pm

@OP, if you can't find anything in the directive and come up with a scenario by which your spouse can remain while you go and work abroad that suits your circumstances, then perhaps it is not possible.