ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry back to the Uk with a Criminal Record

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Entry back to the Uk with a Criminal Record

Post by alivingnightmare » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Please advise
My family qualified for entry to the UK via ancestry visa on my mothers side. I have 6 brothers and sisters and we have all lived in the UK (originally from Zimbabwe) since 1996 bar my one brother. HE initially came to the UK like the rest of us on the ancestry visa but he failed to meet all the critieria, got himself involved in drugs and eventually got arrested and Zim passport confiscated from him by the police which was subsequently sent to the Home Office. After his release from serving a 2 month prison sentence for theft of alcohol he started to get back on his feet, however, as he had no passport and with his drug history he didn't have a NI number so struggled to get work for obvious reasons. Eventually we wrote to the home office to plead with them to forgive him and grant him leave to remain, but they advised that he should return to his home country and apply for re-entry from there. Stupidly, and for all the right reasons, that's what he did and now he is stuck in Zimbabwe with no family or job or anyone to help him. He is 37 and has lived most of his adult life here in the UK, so to have gone back to Zimbabwe on the advice of the Home Office, we felt was a trap. He is literally now living on the streets with no relatives or friends that he can call on. We recently applied for the Visa as the Home Office advised, but they refused on the grounds of his criminal record.

Please can someone help and advise me on what we can do to help him. Our family is devasted and we cannot rest easy knowing that 8 of us are here and he is all alone and down and out in what is now, a foreign country.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Tricky, there is nothing to stop him reapplying after time, but that will be subject to the suitability criteria so the longer ago the criminal offence the less important it is. Was he actually banned from the uk at all? What was the exact conviction and sentence? Have you checked to see if he has a right to citizenship?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Post by alivingnightmare » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you for your response! I believe the convictions were for theft, however he was not banned from the UK and on several stop and searches after he was released from prison the police knew he had no visa and was here in the UK with no legal right of abode, but they did not do anything about it, unlike other overstayers who get sent back to their own country. One would have thought that when he got sent to prison if he was not legal here then they should have arranged for him to be sent back to Zim on release after serving his sentence, but instead he was released with no condtions and he chose to travel back on his own free will taking the advce from the Home Office. I'm not sure about citizenship, but would that not be for people who have met the criteria, which he hasn't as he had a criminal convinctions? So would that mean that he would automatically not qualify?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:27 pm

alivingnightmare wrote:Thank you for your response! I believe the convictions were for theft, however he was not banned from the UK and on several stop and searches after he was released from prison the police knew he had no visa and was here in the UK with no legal right of abode, but they did not do anything about it, unlike other overstayers who get sent back to their own country. One would have thought that when he got sent to prison if he was not legal here then they should have arranged for him to be sent back to Zim on release after serving his sentence, but instead he was released with no condtions and he chose to travel back on his own free will taking the advce from the Home Office. I'm not sure about citizenship, but would that not be for people who have met the criteria, which he hasn't as he had a criminal convinctions? So would that mean that he would automatically not qualify?
It depends how long ago the conviction was and how long the sentence was? For citizenship he would have to meet certain criteria which he may or may not, it's perhaps a stab in the dark but should be checked nonetheless.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Post by alivingnightmare » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:37 pm

Super! I'll look into that.

Thanks for your time

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:36 pm

alivingnightmare wrote:Please advise
My family qualified for entry to the UK via ancestry visa on my mothers side. I have 6 brothers and sisters and we have all lived in the UK (originally from Zimbabwe) since 1996 bar my one brother. HE initially came to the UK like the rest of us on the ancestry visa but he failed to meet all the critieria, got himself involved in drugs and eventually got arrested and Zim passport confiscated from him by the police which was subsequently sent to the Home Office. After his release from serving a 2 month prison sentence for theft of alcohol he started to get back on his feet, however, as he had no passport and with his drug history he didn't have a NI number so struggled to get work for obvious reasons. Eventually we wrote to the home office to plead with them to forgive him and grant him leave to remain, but they advised that he should return to his home country and apply for re-entry from there. Stupidly, and for all the right reasons, that's what he did and now he is stuck in Zimbabwe with no family or job or anyone to help him. He is 37 and has lived most of his adult life here in the UK, so to have gone back to Zimbabwe on the advice of the Home Office, we felt was a trap. He is literally now living on the streets with no relatives or friends that he can call on. We recently applied for the Visa as the Home Office advised, but they refused on the grounds of his criminal record.

Please can someone help and advise me on what we can do to help him. Our family is devasted and we cannot rest easy knowing that 8 of us are here and he is all alone and down and out in what is now, a foreign country.
There is not just the problem of the conviction however. He would also be required to intend to work and be able to work.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -ancestry/
Can you apply?

You can apply to come to the UK in this category if you can show that:

you are a Commonwealth citizen;
you are aged 17 or over;
you are able to work and you plan to work in the UK;
you can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependants without help from public funds
How to apply

To apply on the basis of your UK ancestry, you must be outside the UK. You cannot apply to 'switch' into this category if you are already in the UK in a different immigration category.
I understand why you haven't given too much detail. However, if he spent quite a time in the UK without working, and then due to a drug problem he turned to crime, then his visa ran out some time after (or before?) his release from prison but before he left the UK I can see him having problems returning.

You don't say how long it was after he arrived in the UK before he went to prison. However, even if he had got work afterwards, you cannot assume with a conviction resulting in a prison sentence he would have been able to extend or get ILR anyway. A two month prison sentence for theft (shoplifting?) seems harsh for a first offence. Had he got other non custodial sentences before and/or cautions?

The Home Office were right when they said he would have to return to Zimbabwe to apply for UKA once his initial visa expired. It CANNOT be granted in the UK to someone with no immigration status or to someone who wants to switch from something else.

It is a sad situation but if he has lived most of his adult life in the UK without working, and is perhaps not working in Zimbabwe, unless he has a guaranteed job in the UK, I can't see him getting UK Ancestry again.

You also say he is living on the streets, so it seems that he would not be able to show he has the funds to hand to maintain and accommodate himself in the UK either. I am assuming that his UK based family aren't in a position to help because otherwise he wouldn't be on the street, or he has refused help.

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Post by alivingnightmare » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 am

Thank you for your assistance. He got his ancestry visa in 2000 and it ran out in 2005. From memory he went to prison in 2006, so he had been here on the ancestry visa since 2000, however he initally came to live in the UK in 1996 on and off until 2000 when it became permanent.

From what i understand he was sentenced for several convintions/cautions

Sadly my parents are elderly, they lost their farm and all their possessions during Mugabes land grab. My mother is disabled and my father has had trigeminal caused neuralgia for the past 14 years so they are not in a position to help themselves let alone him. We all have helped here and there however he has now been in Zimbabwe for over 3 years trying to make ends meet but we just cannot afford to keep providing for him as we all have 2/3 children each.

Am I wasting my time and is there no hope?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 am

I may have this wrong but seems everyone here has overlooked the fact Zimbabwe is no longer the Commonwealth, therefore he is not eligible for an Ancestry visa?

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Post by alivingnightmare » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for that, I looked into that and found this
Requirements[edit]

The main requirements are:[2]
to have a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man at any time; or a grandparent born in what is now the Republic of Ireland on or before March 31, 1922.
to be a citizen of a Commonwealth country (it does not matter how citizenship was acquired). Zimbabwe remains a Commonwealth country for visa purposes.
to be aged 17 or over
to intend to undertake employment
to be able to support oneself in the United Kingdom without recourse to public funds.

Term of Entry Clearance[edit]

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:42 pm

alivingnightmare wrote:Thank you for your assistance. He got his ancestry visa in 2000 and it ran out in 2005. From memory he went to prison in 2006, so he had been here on the ancestry visa since 2000, however he initally came to live in the UK in 1996 on and off until 2000 when it became permanent.

From what i understand he was sentenced for several convintions/cautions

Sadly my parents are elderly, they lost their farm and all their possessions during Mugabes land grab. My mother is disabled and my father has had trigeminal caused neuralgia for the past 14 years so they are not in a position to help themselves let alone him. We all have helped here and there however he has now been in Zimbabwe for over 3 years trying to make ends meet but we just cannot afford to keep providing for him as we all have 2/3 children each.

Am I wasting my time and is there no hope?
Not no hope, but I hope you can see the problems with getting UK Ancestry again. For what it is worth, I cannot see how he would have got leave to remain in the UK had he stayed either.

He had no right to work once his initial UKA ran out.

It may be worth applying again once his convictions become spent. But there perhaps would only be a slim chance of getting it because he had UKA for five years and didn't even get a NI Number in that time.

Put it this way, if you had to make the decision, would you grant him entry clearance? Would you grant someone with his history of living in the UK leave to remain?

alivingnightmare
Newly Registered

Post by alivingnightmare » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 pm

PaperPusher I see your point and have noted your comments which have been highly regarded.

Many thanks and I'll look into the spent time for his convictions and go from there.