ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity grants

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mikexx
Newly Registered

Maternity grants

Post by Mikexx » Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Is an asylum seeker able to get a maternity grant?

If so, is this paid in cash or in vouchers?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Maternity grants

Post by Amber » Fri May 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Mikexx wrote:Is an asylum seeker able to get a maternity grant?

If so, is this paid in cash or in vouchers?
Not the sure start maternity grant as you can't claim the required benefits unless you are an asylum seeker with transitional protection? However, there is a £300 payment (cash) you can claim if you get UKBA support, that support should have gone up £3 per week since you were pregnant.

The maternity payment must be applied for from eight weeks before the baby is due, until six weeks after the birth. A claim can also be made if the baby was born outside the UK to a person who qualifies for UKBA support and the baby is less than three months old or in exceptional cases.

The maternity payment can only be claimed once but is available for each baby. Therefore, twins are entitled to £600. If the mother or father is eligible for benefits or has received a Sure Start Maternity Grant, he/she is not eligible for a UKBA maternity payment.

See http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/siteb ... uminfo.pdf
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

karl2603
Newly Registered

Post by karl2603 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 pm

All mothers to be can claim maternity benefits; you could also claim the sure grant maternity - this is the one off payment of 500 but you may or may not be entitled to this- you really need to look into this; I think you for the Sure start £500 Grant you need to be claiming income based benefits such as Income Support, Housing Benefit etc. I think the link provided to you in the answer previous to mine is pretty comprehensive but ideally you would check directly with some one at the relevant government department.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm

karl2603 wrote:All mothers to be can claim maternity benefits; you could also claim the sure grant maternity - this is the one off payment of 500 but you may or may not be entitled to this- you really need to look into this; I think you for the Sure start £500 Grant you need to be claiming income based benefits such as Income Support, Housing Benefit etc. I think the link provided to you in the answer previous to mine is pretty comprehensive but ideally you would check directly with some one at the relevant government department.
The OP is an asylum seeker, you should understand the rules before you post.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.