ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstayer getting married in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

east579new

Post by east579new » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:36 am

If the UKBA has the over stayers passport can you not contact them and ask for a letter to confirm the persons identity stating its for the purpose of marriage.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 1511d218bb

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:44 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:@ fazalkhaliq, please ask your question only once as it may cause confusion
Yes you can marry you GF now

Make an appointment with register ASAP because they are very busy now. You can marry even 1 day before your VISA expiry

a guy i know married his GF only 20 days before his student visa expired back in 2009 when he needed permission from home office to marry someone.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:04 am

UKBA / Home Office documentation actually discourages raids on religious venues...

Perhaps a Church of England wedding?.. IT costs ALOT more money... but....

ninkas
Poland

Post by ninkas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 am

I experienced the same.My hubby has been illegal entrant in UK.He had passport though.We went to registration office and made appointment for interview as we admitted that he is subject to immigration control.The whole thing was quiet scary as we were told straight away about presence if ukba officers in the premises.We were interviewed in the small room-police place looks like lol-with the locked door.The registrar explained to us that if we raise any suspicious about our relationship he will call immigration.It was stressful but quick.We were NOT asked to provide any proof of durable relationship whatsoever.He asked us few questions and that was it.He said that we have to get married in registration office not somewhere else.After we were offered the dates to choose and we paid the fee.It was extremely stressful as I wasn't sure whether they going to detain my husband.Fortunately we didn't raise any concerns I reckon as we got married 3 weeks later in 2011.So if your relationship is genuine nothing to worry.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 am

ninkas wrote:So if your relationship is genuine nothing to worry.
If you read earlier posts you will see that there is something to worry about. The way it reads, you just got lucky.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

ninkas
Poland

Post by ninkas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Nimitta wrote:
ninkas wrote:So if your relationship is genuine nothing to worry.
If you read earlier posts you will see that there is something to worry about. The way it reads, you just got lucky.
I wouldn't put it this way.I know 3 couples who were in similar situation and they all got married.The last one married 1 month ago-Albanian guy and French girl.They were interviewed by ukba officer just before the ceremony simply because they were together for 6 moths only.But they manage to clarify the situation-the bride was 3 months pregnant -so the officer congratulated them and they were free to carry on with the wedding.Before my marriage took place,I was seeking advice everywhere as I was terrified.The immigration solicitor explained to me then that ukba do not prevent the marriages to be contracted as long as they don't suspect a marriage of convenience.So in my humble opinion Diomond and others who were bothered by ukba during their wedding were unlucky.I'm sure of this as went through this myself.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:17 pm

ninkas wrote:The immigration solicitor explained to me then that ukba do not prevent the marriages to be contracted as long as they don't suspect a marriage of convenience.So in my humble opinion Diomond and others who were bothered by ukba during their wedding were unlucky.I'm sure of this as went through this myself.
It does not matter how you call it. My point was that your conclusion that if two people have genuine fillings towards each other, there would be no problem, is wrong. There would be. Some might be lucky, but most won't be.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

lunaluna
Newly Registered

Re: Overstayer getting married in UK

Post by lunaluna » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 pm

I feel like my case is the first in history because i can't find anything like that on whole internet.

Soo.. my wedding went like most of 'suspicious' marriages in uk.
on the day of our wedding we were questioned by immigration officers, but even after proving that our relationship is geniue and rea l(our answers mached, we brought bills etc.) my bf was arrested and put in detention.

what i can't find anywhere is at the end of this 'investigation' (after i've been told that in their opinoin i didn't do anything wrong except of falling for wrong man)...they gave me ONE STOP WARNING and said i have to leave the country!!

i was so shocked that i didn't even asked them why i was given this notice. I'm polish, living and working in uk legally. can they deport me just because i wanted to get married?