ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long can i stay outside UK?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wolf123
Newly Registered

How long can i stay outside UK?

Post by wolf123 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm

hi there,

i am a family of an EEA national
having a uk spouse resident status

my question is

if i go outside UK for visiting my family then for how long can i stay outside UK in a year in one go or more?

thanks.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Generally, one can be absent for six months per twelve if under the EEA regulations.

wolf123
Newly Registered

Post by wolf123 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:46 pm

I am a Non EEA National, married to an EEA National and living in UK as Dependent having RC for 5 Years.

so in my case for how long i can visit my family back in Asia in a given one year?

is it 6 Months in one year?

the number of visits does matter in a given one year as long as they dont exceed more than 6 months in total ?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 pm

wolf123 wrote:I am a Non EEA National, married to an EEA National and living in UK as Dependent having RC for 5 Years.

so in my case for how long i can visit my family back in Asia in a given one year?

is it 6 Months in one year?

the number of visits does matter in a given one year as long as they dont exceed more than 6 months in total ?
Correct.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:51 pm

A non-EEA national with a Residence Card (EEA2) can be outside the UK as long as they please. It will not affect their right of residence or the validity of the RC, as long as their EEA family member continues to exercise treaty rights in the UK.

The only drawback is that long absences (more than six months in a year) will reset the clock for Permanent Residence (EEA4)

wolf123
Newly Registered

Post by wolf123 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:12 pm

so it means if a person does stay outside UK for more than SIX MONTHS in a given year, he wouldnt have any problems whatsoever while returning to the UK if his wife still lives in UK on permanent basis ?

the only thing problem is the permanent residence clock will go back wards?

so if the person stays outside the UK for like one year, can he come back without any problems? i mean UK BORDER Will not bar him from entering into UK?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 pm

If the EU national is exercising treaty rights in the UK, their family members can be with them. This is true irrespective of the specific documentation they hold. So a person would be admitted in the circumstances you describe.

daleuk
Newly Registered

Re: How long can i stay outside UK?

Post by daleuk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I hope I do not get told off for reopening an older topic :roll: :)

However my query is related, but different. I am the British Citizen (BC), with non-EEA spouse. Whom should eventually have a UKRC 5yr Family member of EU national. Assume that we both reside permanently in UK, as self-sufficient (likely to be Employed too).

Am I correct in saying that if both the BC and non-EEA with UKRC, are absent from UK for >6 months in a 12 month period (starting from which point?), then this person will still be allowed reentry as RC is still valid? Both BC and non-eea will travel together.

However at point of ILR, we would have not completed the required 5yrs residence in the UK to claim ILR, the only impact is that the 'clock' is reset to zero at whatever point we were outside the UK for more than 6 months.

I think the above is correct, but I have just one query regarding the continual validity of the UKRC, which expires after 5yrs, will this be renewed easily? or it is a whole new process to go through again.

Finally, what if the non-eea spouse whom had a UKRC, that expired whilst outside of UK, and attempts to reenter, will they be allowed to do so?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How long can i stay outside UK?

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm

daleuk wrote:I hope I do not get told off for reopening an older topic :roll: :)

However my query is related, but different. I am the British Citizen (BC), with non-EEA spouse. Whom should eventually have a UKRC 5yr Family member of EU national. Assume that we both reside permanently in UK, as self-sufficient (likely to be Employed too).

Am I correct in saying that if both the BC and non-EEA with UKRC, are absent from UK for >6 months in a 12 month period (starting from which point?), then this person will still be allowed reentry as RC is still valid? Both BC and non-eea will travel together.

However at point of ILR, we would have not completed the required 5yrs residence in the UK to claim ILR, the only impact is that the 'clock' is reset to zero at whatever point we were outside the UK for more than 6 months.

I think the above is correct, but I have just one query regarding the continual validity of the UKRC, which expires after 5yrs, will this be renewed easily? or it is a whole new process to go through again.

Finally, what if the non-eea spouse whom had a UKRC, that expired whilst outside of UK, and attempts to reenter, will they be allowed to do so?
Kindly refrain from digging up topics that are 4 years old, it clutters the forum. Please continue in your existing topic you posted yesterday.

eea-route-applications/travel-while-ukr ... l#p1518063
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.