ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SA requirement for dual Nationals

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Siggi

SA requirement for dual Nationals

Post by Siggi » Fri May 11, 2007 12:21 pm

SA gov. maintain that you may hold dual nationality, if you apply for it.

Question is, if you remain stum, how would they check that you have a second nationality? and do they check?

I also know that they can stripped you of your SA nationality if you don't let them know of your second nationality.

Has anyone taken the risk and not advised SA?

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Fri May 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Im pretty sure theres no way they could ever know unless you tried to renew your SA passport from over here. In that case if youve been here 5 years or more they'll require a letter from the UK Home Office stating that you havent applied for BC. (Tip: allow plenty of time for all that to happen)

I doubt they *can* strip you of your nationality, its a birthright. If you 'lost' it and then reclaimed it through the SA constitutional court Im sure you'd get it back, albeit with some hassle.

But if you want to retain SA citizenship, why not just let them know before applying for BC?
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Fri May 11, 2007 3:18 pm

But as permission seems to be universally granted to retain the South African citizenship, why take the risk?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri May 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Siggi, I just had to go through all of this with the South African embassy myself when I applied for British naturalisation.

The main way that the South African government can bust you is when you reapply for an expired or lost South African passport at the South African embassy. If you have been living in the UK for longer than 5 years (or 3 years if you are married to a British citizen) they will require a letter from the British Nationality Division in Liverpool stating you do not hold British citizenship. If you cannot produce this, or proof that you got the required permission from them to obtain British citizenship, they will not renew your South African passport because you would have automatically ceased to be a South African citizen from the date you became a British citizen.

There are a few ways to get around not telling them, but ultimately if you slip up one day at an airport or other border point they will confiscate your South African passport.

I got the required permission from the South African embassy in London and it was a mere formality. You can download the application forms from the South African embassy's website. I posted the forms to them and it took a week to process. Bear in mind to allow time to get a letter from the British Nationality Division stating that you are not a British citizen to include with your application.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

neil4u
Newly Registered

Post by neil4u » Sun May 13, 2007 9:36 am

What is the situation regarding applying for a new SA passport if you got your British Ctizenship via decent? My passport is up for renewal soon and I have lived here 7 years. Do I still have to get the letter stating I did not aquire British Citizenship?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun May 13, 2007 11:53 am

neil4u wrote:What is the situation regarding applying for a new SA passport if you got your British Ctizenship via decent? My passport is up for renewal soon and I have lived here 7 years. Do I still have to get the letter stating I did not aquire British Citizenship?
That's a different situation. You haven't then applied to become British. As far as I know - others can confirm - the SA government doesn't care one way or the other about that.