ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling before getting British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

t_kaay

Travelling before getting British Passport

Post by t_kaay » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi, just a quick question which I think I know the answer to. My sister has just been successful in her application for British Citizenship and has attended her ceremony and has her certificate. The next obvious step would be to apply for her British passport, however:

We are planning on going to Pakistan for a family wedding in Sept/Oct this year. Is it possible for her to travel in the meantime on her current Pakistani passport and apply for her British passport when she gets back? Just a bit wary of applying for her British passport now in case it doesn't get back in time and she would obviously be without her Pakistani passport in the meantime too.

I'm guessing she is ok to postpone applying for her British passport but just wanted confirmation.

Thanks all

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 pm

She can travel on a valid Passport, she could possibly use her BRP card to return or apply for a British Passport abroad (long wait likely) or for a Certificate of entitlement in order to claim the right of abode (likely 4-6 weeks).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:59 pm

September is a month away. She should be able to get a British passport in 4 weeks (even in the busy summer months).

t_kaay

Post by t_kaay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 am

Jambo wrote:September is a month away. She should be able to get a British passport in 4 weeks (even in the busy summer months).
I understood it may take longer as she needs an interview? I need the passport number to book the ticket and the longer I leave it, the more the fare rises!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:19 am

The time I quoted includes the interview. Although HMPO state 6 weeks, in practice it takes less than that.

You can book a ticket using the Pakistani passport and change the number in the booking later (or just leave it like that. You can always show the Pakistani passport in check in and the British passport to the border control).

You can also apply for a passport after the trip.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 am

t_kaay wrote:
Jambo wrote:September is a month away. She should be able to get a British passport in 4 weeks (even in the busy summer months).
I understood it may take longer as she needs an interview? I need the passport number to book the ticket and the longer I leave it, the more the fare rises!

I wonder why you would need passport number to book tickets... I believe you need passport number only when you are checking in... I have always booked my tickets with only my credit/debit card all these years...

t_kaay

Post by t_kaay » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 pm

sunil.suneel wrote:
t_kaay wrote:

I wonder why you would need passport number to book tickets... I believe you need passport number only when you are checking in... I have always booked my tickets with only my credit/debit card all these years...
Both PIA and Airblue, which fly from the UK to Pakistan require passport numbers upon booking.

t_kaay

Post by t_kaay » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Jambo wrote:The time I quoted includes the interview. Although HMPO state 6 weeks, in practice it takes less than that.

You can book a ticket using the Pakistani passport and change the number in the booking later (or just leave it like that. You can always show the Pakistani passport in check in and the British passport to the border control).

You can also apply for a passport after the trip.
Thanks, might do that.

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:54 pm

That's what I did what Jambo suggested.

Nowadays all International Airline ask for the passport details to be updated on the ticket.