ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Indian Passport after getting British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

1sppandey

Travelling on Indian Passport after getting British Passport

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi,

I got naturalised in 6th June and got my BP a while back. I need to fly urgently to India for a week on 1st Aug (already purchased the tickets).

Searching in the forum and internet, I have found that as long as I have not surrendered my Indian Passport, I can travel to India on my Indian Passport uptill 90 days from my naturalisation date.

My Questions are:

1) Do I need to inform Indian high commission beforehand regarding this trip..?

2) When I land in India (delhi) do I tell the Immigration officer the whole story about becoming a British Citizen and using Indian Passport OR Just present my Indian Passport and give details ONLY if spcifically asked..?

3) In the Landing card do I write as British Citizen or Indian.?

4) On way back to UK, do I present my BP or Indian Passport along with my Resident Permit..?

Pls advise gurus..and If someone has done a similar journey, pls share your experience as I have to fly on 1st anyhow as its a family medical emergency.

Pls free to point out any details I may have missed.

Thanks in Advance.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm

1. No

2 and 3 - Indian (as you had done in the past)

4. Either one will do

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:41 pm

The main thing you missed is the right forum...

For Indian related matters better to check the Other countries section of the forums.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Jambo wrote:The main thing you missed is the right forum...

For Indian related matters better to check the Other countries section of the forums.
Apologies for that..was a bit confused where to post. If you want you can move the thread to the correct sub-forum.

Also if its not too much to ask..do you concur with the above reply from bans.s to my post.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I had no intentions to criticise you. Just a friendly advice where you could get the best answers. I have no knowledge in Indian immigration matters. For the UK portion of your question - if you hold a British passport use it to enter the UK. Quicker than to use another passport. What you use in India (flight check in / border control) doesn't need to match what you use to enter the UK.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm

ban.s wrote:
2 and 3 - Indian (as you had done in the past)

4. Either one will do
I am not sure that this is correct you are British now and surely should declare that when asked.
You enter the UK on your British Passport
pennyless