ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW to Tier 2 - Highly confused!!! Please help

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kaykaylondon
Newly Registered

PSW to Tier 2 - Highly confused!!! Please help

Post by kaykaylondon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Hello everyone,

This is proving to be quite a challenge. The points calculator told me I was ok to switch to Tier 2 from PSW however an agent I contacted to help me with my application has left me highly confused.

Now here's the situation;

I work as a Sous Chef with IHG Hotels and have been with them for a year and half. Prior to that I was a Sous Chef with a different chain. Overall I have about 5 years experience in this/similar position.

My salary at present is £21700 and my employer wishes to sponcer me for a work permit. Now the query is if I am eligible or not.

I came to the UK on a student visa completing my Post Graduate Diploma in Culinary Arts from a repluted college. Then I went on to pursue full time MBA in Hospitality Management (University of Wales) and completed that in 2011. Since then I have been on PSW which expires in December 2013. I am looking at my options to stay back and I believe Tier 2 is the only option.

So far I know that my profession falls under SOC 2010 (5434) which is NQF Level 3 and that since I am switching from PSW I am exemt from the labour market test. I have maintained £900 in my bank account for 3 months and my qualification gives me the required English level points.

What am I missing here. Am I eligible to switch or not? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

And does my salary have to be 29,570 to be eligible for the switch. The points calcuator said I was eligible with my current salary. Also what do the salaries for other chef below exactly mean?

Skilled chef as defined in the Shortage Occupation List: £29,570
Other chef (new entrant): £11,500
Other chef (experienced worker): £15,000

Regards,
ARK

raynold
Newly Registered

Post by raynold » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm

The one and only problem is your job Level, which is 3". According to the guidance your job MUST have to be NQF level 6. Ask your employer to find a suitable SOC code which is level 6.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 pm

I would think that to make a switch into tier 2, you need to have a SOC code reflecting to a job which is at least NVQ 6 to start with.
The salary and other things are to be discussed later.

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

There isn't another SOC code for that job, so you only qualify if you meet the Shortage Occupation List criteria.

kaykaylondon
Newly Registered

Post by kaykaylondon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Jeeves wrote:There isn't another SOC code for that job, so you only qualify if you meet the Shortage Occupation List criteria.
Fail to understand why is chef listed in the SOC at Level 3! Who is that for

Anyway will have to start considering Australia now :shock:

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm

kaykaylondon wrote:
Fail to understand why is chef listed in the SOC at Level 3! Who is that for?
That's there for those that came into Tier 2 when NQF Level 3 was permitted, they can still extend / change employer despite the bar being raised for new applicants.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Even if you met the criteria for chefs on the shortage occupation list http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixk/
the job is still only NQF level 3 and level 4 would be needed for T2

kaykaylondon
Newly Registered

Post by kaykaylondon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:05 am

manci wrote:Even if you met the criteria for chefs on the shortage occupation list http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixk/
So are you saying I will be ok with level 4 or did you mean level 6?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 am

read para 66 in the T2 policy guidance

Jeeves

Post by Jeeves » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

manci wrote:Even if you met the criteria for chefs on the shortage occupation list http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixk/
A job on the SOL meets the current Tier 2 General criteria irrespective of NQF level.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 am

Jeeves wrote:A job on the SOL meets the current Tier 2 General criteria irrespective of NQF level.
please see 77E(b) in Appendix A and para 66 in the T2 policy giuidance