ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused -Apply for British citizenship for child born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hsmpapp

Confused -Apply for British citizenship for child born in UK

Post by hsmpapp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi All,

My wife and me got ILR last week. Our child was born in UK last year. Child was on Tier1 dependent visa and has Indian passport. As per my understanding, we can register him as british citizen under section 1(3) as we have got ILR now.

In MN1 guide, it says that child will need to register or naturalize as adult once he turns 18. Does this mean that registration (MN1) will expire once child turns 18?

We plan to apply british citizenship after 1 year and then move abroad with our child. How can my child register or naturalize as adult from abroad on reaching 18 years?

What other options do we have if we want to move abroad?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Once you're British as a child you will remain British (unless renounced or revoked).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

hsmpapp

Post by hsmpapp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps, MN1 guide is misleading. Below is excerpt from the guide page 1:

"This guide assists children who have not yet reached the age of majority (age 18) to become British citizens under the following sections of the British Nationality Act 1981. Once a child reaches age 18 they will have to apply to naturalise using form and guide AN"

facts

Post by facts » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

If less than 18 MN1, if more than 18 AN. It does not suggest to reapply.