ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First passport application

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marco 72
Diamond Member

First passport application

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 06, 2007 3:35 pm

I became a British citizen two months ago, but for various reasons I haven't applied for a British passport yet. How long does a first passport application take these days, if submitted with the "check and send" service? The website says to apply six weeks in advance, but I wonder if in practice it takes less than that. Also, how long does it take to get your supporting documents back?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun May 06, 2007 3:45 pm

It never ends the fees involved in this process

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sun May 06, 2007 4:00 pm

I just got my first British passport, and I also used the check and send service. I was advised by the guy at the post office to allow 2 weeks, although he thought it would be faster than that.

In actual fact, it was over a month! They did contact my counter-signer, which I expect is why it took so long.

I got my supporting documents back the day before I received my British passport.
Fixer of Old Stuff

JAJ
Australia

Re: First passport application

Post by JAJ » Sun May 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Marco 72 wrote:I became a British citizen two months ago, but for various reasons I haven't applied for a British passport yet. How long does a first passport application take these days, if submitted with the "check and send" service? The website says to apply six weeks in advance, but I wonder if in practice it takes less than that. Also, how long does it take to get your supporting documents back?
Recommended to apply before 1 June when the interviews will begin.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I thought the interviews had already started.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun May 06, 2007 8:06 pm

it took me around 2 weeks too. used check and send at the local post office.
i received my old passport a day before i got the nice shiney red passport.

so from the 1st of june, the authoritis are going to hold interviews. i hope there is not a fees associated with that.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 06, 2007 8:28 pm

I think the interviews have already started, although not everyone is being interviewed yet (there is no charge, apparently). However, according to the Passport Agency website from 1 June everyone should be interviewed and as a result it will no longer be possible to use the one week "fast track" service for first time adult applicants.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon May 07, 2007 12:22 pm

I applied in the middle of March for my first passport after naturalisation and I used the 1-week fast track service, attending the Passport Office personally. It did exactly what it says on the tin...took exactly 1 week to arrive. I applied on a Monday morning and I received my new passport and supporting documents back by secure courier the following Monday afternoon.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 pm

How long did it take you to get an appointment for the fast track service? Do you know if it's possible to go there in the evening or on Saturday? Thanks.

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:06 pm

How long did it take you to get an appointment for the fast track service?
You cannot book more than two weeks in advance for an appointment. I used fast track 1 week guaranteed service but it took longer with no apparent reason.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue May 08, 2007 2:23 pm

tdpff3 wrote:
How long did it take you to get an appointment for the fast track service?
You cannot book more than two weeks in advance for an appointment. I used fast track 1 week guaranteed service but it took longer with no apparent reason.
Did you ask for a refund? You are entitled to one if it does take more than a week, that's the whole point of it. The one caveat is that you cannot get a refund if the reason for the delay was that there was noone around to sign for the delivery.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue May 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Marco 72 wrote:How long did it take you to get an appointment for the fast track service? Do you know if it's possible to go there in the evening or on Saturday? Thanks.
I called on the Friday and got the appointment for the following Monday. I got the feeling from the person I was speaking to that you need to give them at least a day or 2 notice.

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:44 pm

Did you ask for a refund? You are entitled to one if it does take more than a week, that's the whole point of it. The one caveat is that you cannot get a refund if the reason for the delay was that there was noone around to sign for the delivery.
No I haven't asked for refund and you are right I am entitled to it. It was not the delivery or signing issue, they simply slept over it. I booked the appointment in advance, filled the application thoroughly with supporting documents, arrived well on time. Waited for exactly one week to receive my passport, nothing happened. Checked my bank account, the money had not been taken. Then I called them up, I was transferred one by one to three telephone advisers, no one had any explanation. Finally I spoke to the manager to discover that they are very busy these days and that it will be ready the next day with delivery the following day. During the conversation it became apparent that my folder had not received attention untill I inquired.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue May 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Very strange that they had not processed your payment! When I went to the Passport Office they took my payment immediately there and then from my debit card. How did you pay?

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:01 am

How did you pay?
By cheque. After 8 days they processed my application like premium service.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 am

Aaaah, ok, well that explains it then. Paying by cheque for any government service these days is a bit dodgy because nothing will happen until the moment your cheque clears which could be up to a week. Much easier just to use a debit card!

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 pm

I am filling out the passport application form and have a couple of questions:

1. Question 3 asks "Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) or been included in one before?". Here the answer is yes. Then section 3A asks for the passport numbers, but it's not clear if it only refers to British passports. Do I need to include the number of my foreign passport here?

2. Question 5 asks for the date and place of issue of my naturalisation certificate. I know the date, but what the hell is the place of issue? Liverpool, where I sent my application for naturalisation? Or London, where I had my citizenship ceremony?

Thanks.

music
Newly Registered

Post by music » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm

Marco 72 wrote:I am filling out the passport application form and have a couple of questions:

1. Question 3 asks "Has the person named in section 2 had any sort of passport (British or otherwise) or been included in one before?". Here the answer is yes. Then section 3A asks for the passport numbers, but it's not clear if it only refers to British passports. Do I need to include the number of my foreign passport here?

2. Question 5 asks for the date and place of issue of my naturalisation certificate. I know the date, but what the hell is the place of issue? Liverpool, where I sent my application for naturalisation? Or London, where I had my citizenship ceremony?

Thanks.
I AM FILLING THE FORM TOO NOW .
1 YOUR CURRENT VILID NON UK PASSPORT NO.
2 ON THE CERTIFICATE YOU LL SEE ABOUT INTHE 3 QUATERS PLACE ISSUED ON THE DIRECTION OF ******* HOME OFFICE **** THATS THE PLACE OF ISSUE
GOOD LUCK

music
Newly Registered

Post by music » Mon May 14, 2007 11:15 pm

I do have another 2questions

1 do they put cancelled stamp on the indefinate leave to remain sticker we got on our other passport .

2 if it is fast track how long need to spend in the passport office to handle the documents .and interview with it ? i have to go there with my little baby
thanks
Last edited by music on Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon May 14, 2007 11:21 pm

music wrote:I do have another 2questions

1 do they put cancelled stamp on the indefinate leave to remain sticker we got on our other passport .

2 what the meaning of one week fast track 7 working days or five working days

thanks
Answers:

1. No they don't

2. I think its 5 working days not sure though, I got mine in 3 working days applied Tuesday afternoon, first attempt to deliver was Friday morning

music
Newly Registered

Post by music » Mon May 14, 2007 11:26 pm

bbdivo wrote:
music wrote:I do have another 2questions

2 what the meaning of one week fast track 7 working days or five working days

thanks
Answers:

1. No they don't

2. I think its 5 working days not sure though, I got mine in 3 working days applied Tuesday afternoon, first attempt to deliver was Friday morning
thanks i ve just go through te post and found out its 5 working days ,and another question come out ,so i changed it .

thanks

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:24 pm

I have called the passport advice line about this. Someone said that 3A should not include foreign passports, and that the "place of issue" of the certificate is where I had the citizenship ceremony. However, it sounded like the person didn't really have a clue and was just guessing. I think I'll leave those fields blank and ask the person at the Passport Office when I have the appointment on Thursday.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Another call, different reply. This person sounded like she had more of a clue than the previous one. She said section 3A refers to all passports, British and otherwise. She admitted that she didn't know about the place of issue of the certificate, but said it should be ok if I put "London". That's where I had my ceremony.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Marco, when I applied for my first British passport I entered the passport numbers of all my previous South African passports and there was no problem at all. My reading of the application form makes it clear that they intend for you to enter the passport numbers of ALL previous passports you have ever had, British or otherwise.

I also entered the borough name for the place of issue for my naturalisation certificate.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue May 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Marco 72 wrote:I have called the passport advice line about this. Someone said that 3A should not include foreign passports, and that the "place of issue" of the certificate is where I had the citizenship ceremony. However, it sounded like the person didn't really have a clue and was just guessing. I think I'll leave those fields blank and ask the person at the Passport Office when I have the appointment on Thursday.
Asking seems a good option. Alternatively, you could put in the details, with a note of the nationality of the passport, and they can ignore them or not as they choose.