ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got job and other updates from London

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ajay Kumar Singh

Got job and other updates from London

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:42 pm

Finally got the offer from the first company in which i gave my first face to face interview. Salary is okie to start with and so the job. Nothing much to complain, after seeing the job market here. Well i say from my experience that it is really tough to get a job in IT. There are few jobs and all those jobs are advertised everythwhere. And the selection procedure also seems to be very specific. The companies won't go ahead with broadening the scope until n unless they are sure that they r not going to find candidate matching their specific requirements.

I had appeared in 2 face to face interview, for which i had already given telephonic interview.

But i must say it's realy really a tough.

===========
My wife also got a job, also not so good job but good to start with.

================
Telephone connection:
Called BT many times but no success. While calling i pressed some choice where they asked to call me back and then i gave my mobile number. And they did call within 30 minutes and then i was able to put my request. They gave me telephone number a reference number and a timeline of 2-12 october for installing telephone. They will accept cash.

====================
Bank Account:

Went to ICICI Bank (an Indian Bank) branch in Knightsbridge, and applied for Current as well as Saving account. They also cribbed about Address proof but anyhow they opened a Current and Saving bank account and gave me Debit Card and Cheque Book, and internet banking password, however they said that they will have a look on address proof, It wasnot so diffcult but still they need 4 days time to activate the account.
It will be easy for me to transfer money back to my Indian bank account as i hold that bank's sving account in India.

==============
NHS

As per requirement from my employer i need to go thru a Pre medical checkup. I went to see local GPs but it seems they r more open in morning time rather than in evening time. So missed them and again going tomorrow morning. I'll register with GP and will apply for NHS card as well.

That's all from my side folks.
Will keep updating about my experiences.

Cheers
Ajay

ChandraSP

Post by ChandraSP » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:59 pm

Congratulations Ajay...

I think you almost settled well there now. And thanks a lot for the info update.

Regards
Puti

ND
Member of Standing

Post by ND » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:05 pm

Thats Great ... !!! Congrats .. and All the best ...yes it is very very tough getting a job in UK.But if you try hard u can get one ... :wink:

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:21 pm

well done ajay. i am sure once you get some UK experience you will definately be able to find a better job as well as your wife. i suppose now with a job offer you can ask your employer to help with opening an account with UK bank, this you might find to be useful if in the future you want to get a mortgage

darikusa

Congratulations

Post by darikusa » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:08 am

Hi Ajay,

Congratulations on getting the job. Well done.

I landed last week and actively seeking jobs in the IT area. My area of expertise is J2EE.

Till now I've only been applying online on cwjobs. Any tips? How did you go about searching and what did you find useful to get a job.

Thanks again.

gunjans

Post by gunjans » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:27 am

CONGRATULATIONS AKS,
u've done a gr8 job of finding jobs......

i am also from IT (Telecom) can u advise in getting jobs.

Cheers!!!

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:16 pm

Thanx all for compilments.

Gunjan:
Just post ur CV to all jobsites and send them to all agencies which you can find on internet. I have a list of all the sites and agencies and companies, which i'll be telling to all once i get net connection at home.

And keep looking jobserve.com and cwjobs.com and monster.co.uk, and other websites as well.

That's what i did.

Darik:
As i said above keep looking on all websites. But as i have seen the same job is posted on all websites but sometimes u do see unique jobs somewhere. It's just about hitting at right time.

I don't see any help from newspaper jobs, as most of them are Govt. jobs or in universities, and u have to follow a lotta procedures for that.

If you guys need more tips let me know.

KV

Post by KV » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:39 pm

That was a good info Ajay. Could you tell me whether are there any specific job sites for IT? I have been trying through Reed and other sites, but havent got much success yet (am still in India though).

darikusa

Thanks

Post by darikusa » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:07 pm

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for the tips. I am applying on the job sites. I'm looking for senior J2EE roles. If you're in the J2EE area, can you suggest what would be a good salary range in London and vicinity area.

Thanks.

JayGee

Post by JayGee » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:33 pm

Well done Ajay - keep the info rolling - you are gr8 by saving me tons of time which would have been wasted had it not been for you. Well done. :D