ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions - please help!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

clairemcmullin
Newly Registered

Naturalisation questions - please help!

Post by clairemcmullin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 pm

I am currently filling out my naturalisation forms and I easily meet all the requirements, however I have just discovered that the application process can take around 4-6 months!

For personal family reasons I need to leave the country for a few months (leaving in 10 weeks time and sending the application off next week) . Will this affect my application? Do I need to be residing in the UK at the time of the processing of the application? I will still have a UK address.

If so, I believe I must return for a citizenship ceremony within 12 weeks of being approved which is doable. Can I book this online?

Oh I will also need to ask for my passport to be sent back ASAP which I believe they will do. (Eek! Tight time frames!)

Many thanks for your help in answering my questions.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 pm

For answers, take a look at Citizenship FAQ - Common Questions

clairemcmullin
Newly Registered

Still confused....

Post by clairemcmullin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 pm

The section that says:

Q2: Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

If applied using NCS, you will be able to keep your original documents so you will be able to travel.
(the requirement to be physically in the UK when the application is received by the HO has been changed)

That is great and I will definitely got through the NCS, but the next part that says the requirement to be physically in the UK has changed....what has it changed to??

Thanks for answering!!!

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

the previous rule was to physically present in the UK until HO received the application which was typically 2-3 days after submission at NCS.

That is no longer a requirement and you can leave the very next moment after submission of your application at NCS.

clairemcmullin
Newly Registered

Post by clairemcmullin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Fantastic news!

Now one last question is how do I arrange for my ceremony to be help at the British consulate in NZ? I read that this was a possibility. IS that correct?

I am having a baby in NZ and will not be back for a few months.