ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-Resident Referees for Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mandi
Newly Registered

Non-Resident Referees for Citizenship Application

Post by Mandi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:38 am

This is a subject that seems never to be definitively answered on forums. I actually emailed the Home Office six weeks ago for clarification. I included DETAILED information about the people I plan to use as referees. However, when the reply finally came, all they did was copy/paste the relevant section from the guidance notes. They basically ignored my question and sent me the notes that I already read.

We're very private people and are struggling to think of people in the UK we can use as referees, that have known us for the last three years. On my stepdaughter's application, one of the referees will be her headmaster though. The only two other people I can come up with for my wife are both living overseas...

One of them is British, has a UK address, but works in Southeast Asia.
The other is an EU national, and is the MD of an international company and he's based in Bangkok.

Both are close family friends. I have completely failed to estblish if I can actually use them. In the absence of a response from the Home Office, I called one of the Nationality Checking Services to ask for advice. While they are unwilling to give advice, she did intimate that it would be fine, although seemed unsure.

So, does anyone have some DEFINITIVE answer to this?

VR

Technically you are fine

Post by VR » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:14 am

Mandi,

Very rarely do they contact the referees. I guess its based on a random sample or when the case worker seeks to allay doubts over the applicant's character, they are likely to be contacted.

Technically all you need is to meet the requirements.

A British National who has known you for 3 years is fine (does not say he should be in UK).

For the second referee a commonwealth citizen with a professional qualification has been used without issues by a friend who got his application approved last year.

Maybe our enlightened Board Heavyweights can shed some specific information . Please do refer to the Citizenship FAQ's posted by Amber.

From what you have stated, both your referees look fine.
cheers
vr

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Non-Resident Referees for Citizenship Application

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:46 am

Mandi wrote:This is a subject that seems never to be definitively answered on forums. I actually emailed the Home Office six weeks ago for clarification. I included DETAILED information about the people I plan to use as referees. However, when the reply finally came, all they did was copy/paste the relevant section from the guidance notes. They basically ignored my question and sent me the notes that I already read.

We're very private people and are struggling to think of people in the UK we can use as referees, that have known us for the last three years. On my stepdaughter's application, one of the referees will be her headmaster though. The only two other people I can come up with for my wife are both living overseas...

One of them is British, has a UK address, but works in Southeast Asia.
The other is an EU national, and is the MD of an international company and he's based in Bangkok.

Both are close family friends. I have completely failed to estblish if I can actually use them. In the absence of a response from the Home Office, I called one of the Nationality Checking Services to ask for advice. While they are unwilling to give advice, she did intimate that it would be fine, although seemed unsure.

So, does anyone have some DEFINITIVE answer to this?
i never heard anyone they contact really; people give reference their bank manager even if they don't know them at all,

i heard even put house mate, friends name..

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:45 am

I think it is possible to use non-UK resident professional referees, the only issue would possibly be if the Home Office wanted to contact the referee they may have difficulty. There are two types of referees, one a British Passport holder and one a Professional although both could be professionals. See here (click) for more details. The NCS usually frown upon using non-UK resident referees and may not accept the application to check.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Mandi
Newly Registered

Post by Mandi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:17 am

D4109125 wrote:The NCS usually frown upon using non-UK resident referees and may not accept the application to check.
This is the problem isn't it. Why should they frown on it if non-residents are not specifically excluded in the rules/guidelines. It's something that should be clarified by the Home Office.
I should think an applicant might have sufficient grounds for complaint if an application is rejected on an omission in the guidelines.