ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU cit. marrying Egyptian, living in UK - registration quest

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MalakA
Newly Registered

EU cit. marrying Egyptian, living in UK - registration quest

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:11 am

Hello,

I apologize if there was already a question like this, but I haven't found it..
I am a Slovenian living and studying in the UK.
I am planning on marrying my Egyptian fiance in Egypt in about a month and later, when I have a job for some time and save some money, apply for a family visa for him to come to the UK.

At the Slovenian embassy in Cairo they told me I should register our marriage in Slovenia in 30 days (no bilateral understanding between countries). As I checked and called the registrate in Slovenia, they always give me a doubtful answer and I still don't know whether I actually need to do this or just if I want it to be legal in Slovenia.

My question is: I am originally from Slovenia but do not plan to live there in the near future and I want my future husband to join me in the UK as soon as I will be able to provide and apply for a visa for him.
Do I still NEED TO register my Egyptian marriage in Slovenia, since I don't even have anyone there who would go fix the papers for me?
And if I don't do it, am I doing something illegal?
If it is not necessary to do it in Slovenia, do I need to register it in the UK in order to later apply for a visa for my husband?

What would be the process of registering this marriage in order for it to be completely legal and okay for the visa application process later on?

I would greatly appreciate any kind of answer, I have been wondering about this and I cannot seem to get a direct answer anywhere.

Thank you!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:44 am

Generally, the UK, recognises marriages abroad provided they are conducted in accordance with the laws of the country where the marriage took place, let's call it the host country

The host country may require evidence that the parties are not already married. This may take the form of a declaration or certificate of no impediment, etc. This is generally obtained from your country. Your country may impose some additional requirements.

Provided the parties have married in accordance with the laws of the host country and that the parties' home countries recognise the parties' capacity to marry, the marriage would be recognised.

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.
I already have a proof of single status from my country, which is all that I need. They also told me to bring and translate the marriage certificate to Slovenia, which I cannot just send my mail.
So my question is, do I absolutely need to do this, if I don't live in Slovenia anymore? I have asked them but they always reply with a very doubtful answerr which leaves me questioning and not knowing exactly whether it is absolutely necessary to do this trip or not.
I know I should press them for an exact answer, but I am just asking here during this time, in case someone has had a similar situation.

facts

Post by facts » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:03 pm

I would advise you should seek help from your embassy in UK by making an appointment. Visit Consular information
They should be able to assist you in registering your marriage in Slovenia or advise on other matters.

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you!

This is a good idea and I haven't even thought of contacting my embassy here in the UK :?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 pm

So you are studying in the UK, but are you exercising Treaty Rights in the UK? The point is ... do you have comprehensive sickness insurance?

If in doubt have a look at this UKBA webpage.

If you are exercising Treaty Rights in the UK then it should be possible to get an EEA Family Permit issued, to enable your husband (as he will be) to move to the UK.

The terms of the UK's Foreign Marriages Act 1892 are quite clear, if the marriage is recognised as a legal marriage in the country where it takes place, then the UK also recognises it as a legal marriage. So as far as the UK is concerned, it is irrelevant whether Slovenia also recognises it as a legal marriage.
John

eng.kamo

Post by eng.kamo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:17 pm

hello,
I am an Egyptian who is married to my lovely Latvian sweetheart and we currently live in UK.

All what your husband needs is the marriage certificate from Egypt, which u can get simply if u do have the proof of status from your country ( which u mentioned that u have already ) get it stamped officially in your country for foreign use.
Now here is what you need to do once you arrive to Egypt.

1- Have him take you to Tahrir center and get your passport stamped for a residence so you can proceed with official marriage steps.
2- about 10 mins walk from Tahrir center there will be the office of the ministry of foreign affairs responsible for the marriage cases from foreigners where you will get your initial marriage certificate.
U will need for that his ID, pictures for both of u and some other things that he will find on a list hanging on the wall in that office ( I would advise you to ask him to go there before u arrive to Egypt to have his things sorted out so u can both enjoy your time together peacefully once married :))
Once you get the initial marriage certificate ( 2 copies ) have him take 1 of them and go down to civil registry office and ask them to get a computerized version . they will take this copy and ask him to come back later in few days where he can request this version and get it in 10 - 30 mins max and he will pay something like 16 EGP
This one and a copy of the one u will have with pictures stapled to it alongside the official one is what u will need to use for the EEA Family permit which is the kind of visa he will need to get to come over to UK, make sure u include in ur application a detailed cover letter about your relation some pictures and stuff to prove the durability of it .

Good luck I wish u all the best please feel free to ask me about anything u might need

Love & happiness
cheers

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm

thank you kamo!

I didn't know about the computerized version, very useful information which I haven't gathered anywhere yet. We already went through almost all the stages before and we have everything we need already, but it stopped with my residency visa in Egypt, which was being processed for too long and I had to leave. So we are giving it another go this time, when my visa is waiting for me at the Mogamma with the people not understanding why I would even want it :)

I know every situation is extremely different from another, but in case you know any similar cases to yours (Egyptian and EU citizen living in the UK), do you think if I prove to have enough money and hold a good job for at least 6 months and have an appropriate accommodation for the two of us, they would still deny him a visa if he doesn't have enough savings or health insurance at his work? or do they merely focus on my status?

maxmelion

Re: EU cit. marrying Egyptian, living in UK - registration q

Post by maxmelion » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:07 pm

MalakA wrote:Hello,

I apologize if there was already a question like this, but I haven't found it..
I am a Slovenian living and studying in the UK.
I am planning on marrying my Egyptian fiance in Egypt in about a month and later, when I have a job for some time and save some money, apply for a family visa for him to come to the UK.

At the Slovenian embassy in Cairo they told me I should register our marriage in Slovenia in 30 days (no bilateral understanding between countries). As I checked and called the registrate in Slovenia, they always give me a doubtful answer and I still don't know whether I actually need to do this or just if I want it to be legal in Slovenia.

My question is: I am originally from Slovenia but do not plan to live there in the near future and I want my future husband to join me in the UK as soon as I will be able to provide and apply for a visa for him.
Do I still NEED TO register my Egyptian marriage in Slovenia, since I don't even have anyone there who would go fix the papers for me?
And if I don't do it, am I doing something illegal?
If it is not necessary to do it in Slovenia, do I need to register it in the UK in order to later apply for a visa for my husband?

What would be the process of registering this marriage in order for it to be completely legal and okay for the visa application process later on?

I would greatly appreciate any kind of answer, I have been wondering about this and I cannot seem to get a direct answer anywhere.

Thank you!
U must register this merrage in slovenia im egyptian too

eng.kamo

Post by eng.kamo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:10 pm

As far as I know, Ur country wasn't member of the USSR so you don't have to get any Residence for non- touristical purposes unlike my case with my wife, So my advice go straight to the office ask which kind of residence u need as a Slovenian citizen and react accordingly, I am inclined to believe u dont need to go through the hassle of waiting 6 months for a non touristical purposes residence, the other is a stamp u get that can help u do what u want to do in this case getting married

best of luck, I am here to help you & your future husband if u do need any :)
Last edited by eng.kamo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eng.kamo

Post by eng.kamo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:15 pm

The EEA FP is processed under the EU regulations ( I am not entirely sure if Slovenia is part of the EU though ) not the British immigrations rules, with that said they will not look at his financial status at all as long as he is not a criminal that's all what they will care about.

Make sure you provide evidence of your employment in UK as well as your savings, your RELATIONSHIP evidence is so important and again your cover letter is what will make the ECO give your husband the EEA FP - if applicable-

Best of luck & all love

eng.kamo

Post by eng.kamo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:17 pm

I just read online that Slovenia is a member of the EU so go for the EEA FP its free and your husband should get it easy if you have all what's needed.
Please poke me in case you need any help

Cheers

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 pm

1- You better apply for a visa (non tourist ) residence from the Egyptian consulate in London. Due to bureaucracy in Egypt, without it, you might end up going up and down to tahrir square to get it sorted. ( bit tricky now with all demonstrations around it).
2- I am not sure where is your fiancé lives in Egypt but this can be time consuming to go up and down to Cairo to sort your visa out.
3- Your fiancé should translate the marriage certificate into English and get it stamped and certified by the British embassy or the consulate in Alexandria.
4- As other members stated make sure your non impediment certificate is less than 3 months old in time of marriage.
5- Again, consider the CSI as it is a must if you exercising treaty rights as a student ( unless you work any hours , in this case it should be fine). You can apply for a EHIC from Slovenia and not UK.
6- i suppose you can register the marriage in your embassy in cairo.
( might be a good idea if fiance obtain a schengen visa from there too for any future travel within EU )

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions and good luck

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks everyone,

I did already apply for the residency visa, which they said was a must if I wanted to get married. In case of tourism, I only need to buy it at the airport, but that visa is not enough for getting married, or so they told me and denied me at the ministry. I already went through the entire process of getting the residency, all I have to do now is go and pick it up. They do it in only about 15 days, not 6 months.
After first 5 days you should go for an interview (which was basically just a bunch of civil servants making fun of me and my fiancee, whether I am Syrian or an internet bride, upon which a man, named Mustafa Kamal :D said to come back in 10 days and pick it up, and that's it).

As far as I know, there are only about 2 types of visas for Egypt (excluding the transit visa or business visa), one being the tourist one, the other one being the residency (non-tourist one) (which you get only if you study or work in Egypt, or if you are married - I had to make an orfi in order to get it, which is pretty ridiculous as orfi is not even official or legal, but they accepted it at the Mogamma!). I dont need any special one to enter, but I was told that for marrying, a tourist visa is just not allowed. I guess they don't want people marrying off and leaving the country, since there is so few of them :S

I do have the EHIC for sure, as I hope anyone who travels has it. I dont in fact remember whether I had to have it for applying tot he University and whether I had to state anywhere that I have it, but I have had it for years, due to the fact that I do travel quite a bit.

The main question was if it is absolutely necessary to register my marriage in Slovenia, as they do not do it at the embassy in cairo, but I have to do it myself in Slovenia. I read somewhere that the deadline is 1 month, but am not sure what that means. That if I don't do it now and decide to register it after 3 years and move with my husband to Slovenia, or at least travel there, that they will not register it anymore? Or that I am committing a fraud and not telling that I got married in Egypt?

I guess I should just do it anyway, even if I don't plan to live in Slovenia, but it just takes time and money to go back and fix this.

eng.kamo

Post by eng.kamo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 pm

No, you don't need to register in Slovenia , I didn't register my marriage in Latvia yet and here I am in UK :)

And for the visa non touristic purposes , It can only be gained in Egypt after you go through the interview for the homeland security :)

the silly thing is that this kind of visa was invented after the viral behaviour of egyptians getting married to russians in Sharm El Sheikh to facilitate russian girls life in Egypt
so Only USSR countries and other few selected ones

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:48 pm

you know, that's what I thought. But they told me at the embassy in Cairo, that I need to do it within one month, otherwise I am breaking the law. But I was not sure if that was true, since the person was openly against marrying egyptians and also had a conversation with me about it :) plus it does not write that I am legally bound to do that on the embassy website about marrying egyptian citizens. Which, if it was legally binding, it would probably have to be written! :)

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:23 pm

As eng.kamo said, you do not really need to register the marriage in Slovenia to validate it. My understanding is that your embassy here in London or any where should accept the marriage certificate and register it unless there are some specific reasons for them not to do so !!
your priority now should be to finalise marriage and for your future husband to obtain his FP to come over. once he is here, i am sure you will have plenty of time to go through the process with your embassy or when you physically in Slovenia.
as for the residence visa, i am pretty sure you can get it from the Egyptian consulate in London, unless some thing has changed recently which i am unaware of!!! but you have now so out of question.

MalakA
Newly Registered

Post by MalakA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Just to say if anyone else might be reading it, I just checked the Egyptian Embassy in London website and it says that residency visas can be applied for and obtained ONLY in Egypt. Mine is waiting there already, so no problem.

So as you all said, the marriage is completely valid in the UK even if I do not register it in Slovenia beforehand. I am just worried that it might be illegal not to notify Slovenia of my marriage (as my embassy said - only in words, not on the website)...

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:47 pm

thanks MalakA for the update on the Residence Visa.

Your marriage will be 100% acceptable in UK without registering it first in Slovenia and hopefully with all relevant documents and a bit of luck, your future husband will get his FP in no time.