ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Original Home Office Letter of Student Permission

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boyzzeal

Original Home Office Letter of Student Permission

Post by boyzzeal » Tue May 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Dear All,

I did my Masters' in UK and plan to claim 5 points for my UK study. However, there is a catch here.

As evidences, they require Original Home Office letter of student permission and Original letter from the Institution. I do have with me the Institution letter but do not remember of receiving any letter from the Home Office. What I remember is the Student Visa that was stamped on my passport.

So, I would like to know from you all what the reason that could be provided to consider my additonal evidences - notarized passport copies (2 nos).

Thank you.

- Deeps

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:22 pm

I did a master's in the UK Oct 2001- Nov 2002. I stayed on as a doctoral research student after that for 18 months, departing the UK in April 2004 while my leave to remain was still valid. (I did not complete the doctorate - I was spending a lot of money and not enjoying the process.)

I recall that people like me who had our passports stamped for leave to remain for a few years (in my case, 3 years from 10 Sept 2001) *before* the student visa rules were strengthened did not ever receive any letters from the Home Office about our status.

My friends whose leave to remain expired in late 2003/early 2004, when they had 1 more year of study left to do (MPhils extending their course to doctorate level, etc.), were required to pay a fee to have their leave extended. At that time they received letters from the Home Office.

It is my understanding that people like me were simply grandfathered in, and if we never extended our leave, we never got letters from the Home Office. I am NOT claiming 5 points for UK experience even though I may be entitled to them. I wished to submit a simple HSMP application without any exceptional consideration requests and I would have required exceptional consideration to claim my 5 UK experience points. I am claiming 85 points as it is so the extra 5 are not make-or-break anyway.

Hope my experience is of interest if not help!

boyzzeal

Post by boyzzeal » Wed May 16, 2007 8:14 am

Hey, Thx for taking time and sharing your thoughts.

For me, the 5 points for UK study is very important and can make or break the application. So, I aim for getting the points.

My query is about the reason that needs to be put in the box which would tell the caseworker why the Home Office letter wasn't provided and why they consider alternate evidence.

If either you have done it or any of your friends, please share in the inputs.

Thank you.

- Deeps

hsmp07

Post by hsmp07 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 pm

The reason that you should put in is exactly the reason you just stated. I had also done masters from UK, and did not get any such letter, so I wrote just that, that no such letter was given to me just the visa was given. I also submitted notarized copy of passport on which I travelled. All went fine, and I did get the approval :)

boyzzeal

Post by boyzzeal » Wed May 16, 2007 12:53 pm

Dear Member (hsmp07),

Thank you. It would be deeply appreciated if you could key the information what you had sent with your application. I'm not getting the right words for it.

May be trivial but kindly oblige.

Thank you.

- Deeps

hsmp07

Post by hsmp07 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:39 am

Documents Sent.

Covering letter

HSMP application form

Original UK Degree Certificate for Bachelors and Masters

Medium of Instruction certificate from University.

Letter from the UK university for UK experience points
Notarized copy of Passport

12 monthly pay slips from both employer (part-time and full-time) with signature and stamp from employer.
Bank statement for the period claimed both part-time and full-time pays highlighted. (with bank seal)
Letter from both employer(s) (part-time and full-time) detailing the annual salary.
R4 Form (Tax Paper)

Contact details of my employer. (address, fax, email, office phone and mobile)

Original Driving license and Birth Certificate.

Points claimed
Education: 30
Past Earnings: 35
UK-Experience: 5
Total: 80 points

Hope this helps :)

boyzzeal

Post by boyzzeal » Thu May 17, 2007 7:02 am

Friend,

thank you. however I was looking for something else.

I wanted to know what was the reason you stated in requesting case worker to consider additonal evidence for your UK Study. Since we do not get Home Office Letter, we need to tell the Case Worker why we don't have it and then request to consider additional evidence which is notarized copies of passport and student stay.

Thank you.

- Deeps

hsmp07

Post by hsmp07 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:13 pm

Here is what I wrote

"The student visa for UK was granted to me in [year].My passport was stamped with the student visa and I did not get any such letter from the Home Office that gave permission to study in the UK. I am sending the notarised copies of my passport on which I travelled to study in the UK along with this application for exceptional consideration."

boyzzeal

Post by boyzzeal » Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 pm

Bingo!!!

This is precisely what I was looking for and thx a ton for sharing this info with me. Thank you.

- Deeps