ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport return - lost in transaction???

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Passport return - lost in transaction???

Post by obormot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 am

I sent EEA 2 application (for my non-EU mother) on July 17, and got a letter, stating that they received my application, a few days later (it seems though that this letter is not COA, for example it does not talk about right to work). Then, on July 31, I asked by e-mail for mine and my mother's passports to be returned.
In the EEA2 application itself I included a prepaid special delivery envelope, and I took note of the tracking number for that one. (The address I wrote on that return envelope was my office address, not home - we are at a temporary accomodation, will change as soon as we find a permanent house; I explained it in an accompaniing note, signed by both me and my mother).
On August 3 (which is Saturday, not a work day!) I got a reply by e-mail from UKBA (RODRequests), dated August 3, 8 a.m. It stated:

Thank you for your request for Return of Documents.
A package has been despatched from the Home Office on 01/08/2013 to your address.
The Recorded Delivery reference number for this package is SD ...... - please check with the Royal Mail for the status of this package, this can be done here: http://track2.royalmail.com/portal/rm/trackresults.
If you do not receive this package within 4 weeks from the date above, please complete another on-line ROD form and submit it again.

The reference number they provided is exactly the one I noted when I bought the return special delivery envelope (hence it must be special delivery, not recorded delivery, as they say..). So it is clear that they indeed opened my case, took out that envelope, and wrote down the reference number.
But when I am trying to track the envelope with Royal mail it says that the information is not yet available (though e-mail states they dispatched it on August 1 - and note that they make spelling mistake in that word..).
It means that the envelope did not reach Royal mail yet, does not it?
Should I worry that our passports are lost somewhere inside UKBA?
Should I try to do something now (what?).
The idea to just wait 4 weeks and then repeat request, as they propose, seems nonsense.
But probably this is a regular practice (for example they say "dispatched" when they "prepare" the envelope, but they actually deliver those envelopes to Royal Mail a few days later?).
Am I paranoid to start to worry so quickly?
Mainly, I would be interested if other people had similar experience..

Victoriajam

Post by Victoriajam » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:55 am

Yes there is a delay between "despatched" by UKBA and actually posted. I would expect you get it this week sometime.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:00 pm

next day recorded delivery usually takes about a week with UKBA. :)

And if the ref is SD.... it is special delivery... (However, SD should be tracked from person to person... as they agree they have despatched it, they obviously dont seem to be handling secure documents very securely...)

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Thank you guys! This calms me dowm.
I will try to contain my paranoia at least tll the end of the week.
We have a very straightforward case, but somehow I cannot relax about it - probably the accumulation effect of having to deal with too much of immigration papers in my life over last decade..

vchandra
Newly Registered

Post by vchandra » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:14 am

Hi there,

I am also in a similar situation. Requested passport back on 26 July 2013 and UKBA confirmed they were sent out on recorded delivery on 01 Aug 13. Haven't received them yet and hoping to get them sometime this week.

Let's keep each other posted if either one of us have any updates.

I totally understand how you feel and I think all will agree that paranoia is a common symptom experienced by anyone who deals with UKBA.

Good luck ;)

vchandra
Newly Registered

Post by vchandra » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Obormot,

Did you receive your passport today?

Cheers

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:18 pm

I finally got mine and my mom's passports. The letter was in my mail-box at work. However, when this morning I checked Royal mail tracking, it still did not show anything (??!). I also got COA for my mom today (also to work address), dated July 31, with the right to work (not that she needs it).

Next struggle is to add her to my bank account - they need proof of address. The letter from HO is not good as it shows my work address, and for our current place we only have a confirmation letter by students' accommodation (I work for a university and they gave me a place in summer, while I search for a house), which is not good either.
Who invented those wonderful laws, where in order to get bank account you need proof of address (and proof of address is either a utility bill or a bank (!) statement), but to rent a flat you need a bank account?
Just venting..