ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for Indian student.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

djc

Naturalisation for Indian student.

Post by djc » Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 am

Hi, I have been in a lot of confusion off late. To the best of my knowledge, one has to be an international student for atleast 10 years to apply for indefinite leave. But some people have been saying that it can be done after only 5 years. Please tell me what is correct.

Regards

Dev

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalisation for Indian student.

Post by sakura » Thu May 17, 2007 1:06 am

djc wrote:Hi, I have been in a lot of confusion off late. To the best of my knowledge, one has to be an international student for atleast 10 years to apply for indefinite leave. But some people have been saying that it can be done after only 5 years. Please tell me what is correct.

Regards

Dev
You don't naturalise as a student....you can only apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) as a (international) student after 10 continuous years of legal residence. This means as a student or student/worker.

ILR after 5 years is only for those who are working for 5 continuous years, not students. Thus HSMP or WP holders, or those on other visas leading to ILR after 5 years (ancestry, etc), but never ever (int'l) students.

What category are you currently in now?