ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Term Family Visa (Entry/Exit)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

varre_v

Post by varre_v » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Hello Gurus,

I have a situation here and sincerely request your expert advise:

I am a permanent resident in the UK living with my family here. My mother, resident of India, who is a widow has been recently granted a 10 year long term family visitor visa to UK. She also has a 10 year family visitor visa to USA. My sister's family lives in US.

She plans to visit us next month here, stay for about 4 months and then go to USA directly from UK without returning back to India. So, I am thinking of buying a one way ticket to UK rather than a return. The dates of her USA trip are not planned yet hence she does not have the flight tickets booked to USA yet.

My concerns:
1. How does it work for a long term visitor visa? Will the immigration officer issue a stamp at the port of entry mentioning the start date/end date for each visit?
2. Is it allowed for someone on a family visit to UK to travel to another country (i.e. USA) without returning back to home country at the end of the UK visit?
3. Will the Immigration officer express any concerns at the port of entry when the visitor does not have a return ticket to his/her home country?

Please clarify. Thanks in advance

ban.s

Re: Long Term Family Visa (Entry/Exit)

Post by ban.s » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 pm

varre_v wrote:
My concerns:
1. How does it work for a long term visitor visa? Will the immigration officer issue a stamp at the port of entry mentioning the start date/end date for each visit?
Yes, officer at the border will stamp the visa/passport and the clock will start from that date.

2. Is it allowed for someone on a family visit to UK to travel to another country (i.e. USA) without returning back to home country at the end of the UK visit?
Visitor is free to travel anywhere s/he wishes as long as she has valid travel documents and tickets for the destination country

3. Will the Immigration officer express any concerns at the port of entry when the visitor does not have a return ticket to his/her home country?

Return ticket doesn't guarantee a return and it's not mandatory requirement to have a return ticket (as long as the visitor can prove her ability to purchase return ticket from UK e.g. by showing credit card/ travel money / undertaking from the sponsor etc). Immigration officer will speak with the visitor and ask standard questions - purpose of visit, duration of stay, etc etc.

As your mother received 10 year visitor visa so I guess she travelled to the UK in the past and dealt with UK Border. The experience with long term visa will be no different.

varre_v

Post by varre_v » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:07 am

Hello Ban S,

Many thanks for giving the assurance and clarifying all my queries. She has already travelled to the UK three times before and she always carry a covering letter in hand which contains answers for the UKBA officer's queiries.

I will go ahead and buy a one way ticket then as she plans to travel to the USA from here at the end of her visit.

BIG Thank You!